For The Workforce, Drowning - Xander

"The alarm clock wouldn't stop ringing. It isn't my fault I threw it into the fish tank," the excuses rush out of my mouth as i spoke to my mum on the phone. "Yes I would have taken it out but I was in a rush for work, not only did the alarm not stop when I pressed the button but it was also set an hour later aswell"

As usual I got the responsibility talk off her again. After she ranted and raved about the "poor" fish, she carried on about mess in the lounge that Matt, my brother had left but blamed it all on me. He thinks that just because he is 5 minutes younger than me that he can get away with murder. I guess he's got that right. It's ME that has to get a job as I turn 16, it's ME that has to tidy the house since no-one else can be bothered and it's ME that gets screwed at for the slightest thing. My life really does suck.

I hung up the phone, sick of my mother blaming me for everything. She'll have a go on me for it later but oh well, I stopped listening the day she kicked dad out of the house when I was 11. They had a massive argument. Mum got angry, Dad got angry, Matt got scared and I was left to pick up the shattered pieces of life, just like I have to now.

Rushing out of the Earlswood Estate, I ran down into town. Glancing down at my watch, I see that it's nearing 9am. Shit! I was supposed to be in and ready by now, my boss is going to have a fit; thats all I need, some old codger telling me how not to be a teenager and that my life should be purely based on work and his barely 2 star rated cafe.

I just about managed to sneak into the kitchens of the cafe without being noticed. I grabbed an apron and pretended that I had just came out of the toilet, a great excuse I use when I know I'm late.

The rest of the day, I walk around the cafe serving the food to the customers. I'm not allowed to do anything else, I'm not "trained" enough to take orders or cook the food, talk about bullshxt.

As I finish giving an order to a posh old couple, I see a pretty, dark haired girl wandering outside looking into each shop. I watch in awe as I see her look up at the cafes sign above the door. Boss says something, forcing me to turn around. As I look back towards the door, I see that she has gone. Why would she want to eat in a manky place like this to be fair, I know I definately wouldn't want to.

I sigh and carry on with my work. I get the next order given to me instantly... Fish and chips with a large coke. Not a normal old peoples order, there must be someone new here, maybe it's that dark haired girl.

I grab the tray and look at the table number I have to take it to; number 7, the small corner, windowside booth. As I near the table, I see the girl sat there, staring out of the window in deep thought. I ask if what I am holding is her order and she ignores me. I try again but I still get the same response.

I decide to waft the food under her nose. I see her sniff and next thing I know, she's looking at me with crystal blue eyes. I see her blush as she apologises about ignoring me. I can't do anything but look at her and smile. She's gorgeous. Her eyes so hypnotic.

I try a little bit of subtle flirting but she just acts confused. Either she is dumb or she naturally doesn't understand. We chat for a few minutes until I hear boss getting frustrated with the pile up of orders. I stalk off to carry on with work, annoyed that I was torn apart from her.

As I walk towards boss, he mutters some kind of swear word in greek and tells me that I'm here to work, not to use the cafe as a dating agency. Pffttt, what does he know, he more than likely hasn't had any female interest in at least 50 years.

A few minutes later, I see the girl collect her bag together and head towards the door. I can't let this girl get away, I don't care what boss says, work is NOT everything in my life and there was something about this girl that was so intriuging. I quickly scribble my number on a napkin and dive infront of her just as she reaches the door. She looks shocked that I have done so but I felt I had to.

"My names Xander by the way" was that the best I could say??? I felt like such a douche. I passed her the napkin and hoped she would get an idea that I wanted to hang out. I asked her to meet me after work so i could show her around. I explained that I guessed that she was new and what her name was by the colourful scribbles on her bag. She looked impressed and walked away with a smile, blushing til she was almost like a strawberry.

After she went, boss called me into the kitchen, this wasn't good, he only does this if he's going to do one thing...

"I'm sorry Alexander but you really have not given a good input of work today, I'm afraid we need to let you go. Finish at 1 like normal, hang up your apron and please do not come back here to work again. You will be paid for the remainder of the month, also." with that he walked off, almost looking crushed at having to lose one of his best employees.

That last hour passed in a flash and eventually I found myself waiting outside of the cafe, looking for Taylor. Such a gorgeous name, I thought to myself.

It was quarter to two, where was she? I decided I would wait another 5 minutes, if she didn't turn up, then I would just forget about her and go home. Maybe I would get a text or something later.

5 minutes passed and just as I went to walk off, I hear a sweet voice shout me from behind.

I turned around and there she was, running towards me, hair floating everywhere. I couldn't help but smile.

Something tells me this could be the start of something new...