Chapter 8

Turning her key in the door, Sephie shouted out to Nessa, “Hey, Ness, I’m back, how was taping with the weird one?”

“Nice to see you too Seph,” Elliot called out from the lounge room.

Muttering shit to herself and, mentally pummelling her head with a brick, Sephie called back, “Only joking El, you know how much I admire your fascination with technology... and Nessa,” Sephie muttered the last bit to herself.

“You know I hate the nickname El,” Elliot said with gritted teeth.

“Yeah but it’s the nicest one I’ve come up with yet so I’d treat it as a compliment and learn to live with it,” Sephie advised firmly. She walked through the hallway and in through the lounge to the kitchen. Seeing Nessa, she jogged up to her and leapt onto Nessa’s surprised body and curled her legs around her waist. “’Sup, Sexy!”

“’Sup!” Nessa returned, planting Sephie’s legs back on the ground. Strolling over to the fridge, Sephie pulled out a can of Diet Coke and clipped open the lid, slugging half contents down in one swallow.

“Thirsty?” Nessa asked, her eyebrows lifted.

“Like you wouldn’t believe. When’s El leaving, I’ve got some major gossip to share,” Sephie grinned at Nessa manically before finishing off her can and reaching into the fridge for the second.

“I’m interested, give me a minute and be prepared to dish everything,” Nessa warned her before walking into the other room to dismiss Elliot.

“Elliot thanks so much for finishing this up with me and thank you for offering to upload it tonight. Means a lot, you know? Me and Seph are going out so...” Nessa trailed off.

“You’ll need me to leave?”

“Not quite like that but kind of, yeah, if that’s okay?” Nessa said guiltily.

“It’s fine. I’ll upload the clip tonight and see you tomorrow for college, yeah?” Elliot said.

“Great, thanks again Elliot,” Nessa said, opening the front door for him. Holding his filming gear in his hands, he nodded at her and went out to his car, and put it all into his boot before opening the passenger’s side and sliding in. He looked back at her, waved and drove off to the view of Nessa smiling back, waving him off.

“Yeah, he’s sooo not got the hots for you,” Seph said in a sarcastic voice.

“Shut up,” Nessa said, closing the door and walking back into the kitchen. “Now spill the gossip you were going to tell me before I hit you.”

“Alright, no need for physical violence,” Sephie defended. “Okay, so you know the interview I went to this afternoon_”

“Oh my God, of course! How was it? Did you get the job?!” Nessa interrogated hurriedly.

“Cool your jets, woman! I’m getting to that bit. So, I arrived and the prat at the desk told me that they had closed applications as they’d received all they needed before I’d applied.” To Nessa sympathetic ‘arses’, Seph smiled before continuing. “So yeah, I was pissed and in my rage, I stormed out of the building and straight into the body of a God and face of an angel.”

“No way!”

“Yes way, my friend, I will now go to heaven happy,” Seph said dreamily.

“What did he look like?”

“He had short dark hair with a fringe,” at Nessa’s sigh Seph responded, “I know! He had dark eyes and a tan which is perfect for me because I’m really pale and a pale boy and me and would look like fucking corpses if we stood next to each other. Plus, our kids would be like live adverts for skin cancer and super-sunscreen,” Seph said, Nessa burst out laughing.

“He was dressed like something out of Armani and, hears the best bit, he’s the nephew of the editor of the magazine,” Seph grinned, beside herself.

Halting her expression for a minute, Nessa looked questionably at Sephie, “Hang on, why is that the best bit?”

“Well, it means that if I can get him into me enough for him to be interested in my writing, he could refer me back to his uncle and I’d be sure to get the job, especially if he likes my writing as well. Being the nephew of the editor has got to have some influence, hasn’t it?” Seph paused, looking over at Nessa who was frowning at her.

“Sorry, back track for a minute, are you telling me that you are planning to use this guy, what’s his name?”

“Reuben,” Seph said quietly.

“...Reuben to get yourself a job as a writer in the magazine?” Nessa said.

Disapproval blasted in Nessa’s comment and Seph quickly justified, “But I really like him as well! I mean, I’d still want to date him no matter where he worked but as an added bonus, it wouldn’t hurt if I got the writing position on top, would it?”

 “Not if it is just by accident. Listen, I’m not your mother so do what you want, whatever, it might be fun helping to get him to fall for you, but just be careful, girl, I don’t want you getting hurt,” Nessa said seriously.

“I won’t. I won’t get in too deep and me and Reuben will just see how it goes,” Seph said, nodding along to her own words as though trying to convince herself of their meaning and honesty.

“Okay,” Nessa said, smiling again. “So, did he ask you out?”

“Uh-huh,” Seph smiled brightly.

“When for?” Nessa asked.

“Friday night,” Seph replied.

“Well then, what the hell are we standing around here for? We should be planning your outfit for the sexy nephew soon to be your date!” Nessa said, before grabbing Sephie’s hand and pulling her up the stairs and into her bedroom.