Daughter of Evil : Closure of Yellow (EVIL SERIES WHOLE NOVEL IN WATTPAD!!)

First before we start the novel

COPYRIGHT TO ITS OWN OWNER!! I DO NOT OWN ANYTHING!! I DON'T TRANSLATE THE WHOLE NOVEL IN ENGLISH! IM NOT THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR OF THIS STORY! ITS MOTHY!! IM JUST REALESING THIS FOR PUBLIC ENTERTAINMENT!! I JUST FOUND THIS WHILE BROWSING RANDOM THINGS ONLINE SO PLEASE DONT BE SO KILL JOY~! ENJOY ^_^

CHAPTER 1:

Section 1——The Fourteenth Birthday——

The executioner sighed.

Ah, how many heads of innocent people am I supposed to cut off?

The Minister sighed.

Oh, how long am I supposed to please this girl?

The citizens sighed.

Ah, how long are we supposed to be hungry?

The only one smiling was the Daughter of Evil.

She was pleased to sit on the throne.

Far off, the queen commands:

“Now, bow before me!”

?Allen ~Lucifenian Palace’s “Heavenly Yard”~

“Oh, it’s snack time.”

As I heard the bells ring three times, I can’t help but spit out that sentence.

The sound of the giant bell in Levin Cathedral, reached the palace from afar. Beside me, Chartette sighed heavily. It seems that she and I are thinking of the same thing.

We’ve been cleaning the courtyard ever since noon. It’s already 3 PM, and we’re still not done cleaning.

Chartette and I, as well as six other butlers worked hard. But because the yard was too big, we simply can’t do it with just us few.

In fact, most of the servants at the moment are doing intensive preparations for the upcoming ball to be held tonight. Even if the Head of the Maids, Mariam, requested it, I don’t think she would be able to give us a few people.

Chartette said to me impatiently:

“Ah~~! I’m exhausted! So exhausted! Hey, Allen, can’t we just quit all this sweeping and cleaning already?”

“I’m afraid we can’t. We still haven’t cleaned the area around the fountain. Didn’t Mariam-san say that royal families from other countries are coming and we have to sweep here?”

“Don’t mind it, people wouldn’t notice a little dirt. Besides, the ball will be held at night.”

“…… But today is the birthday of Her Royal Highness Riliane. Even Mariam-san is careful to work more than usual. If the Queen find outs that we’re being lazy, something bad might happen to us.”

Chartette silently continued cleaning up. But in her mind, she was still complaining. To think of it, it’s my job to serve the princess but cleaning the courtyard, isn’t part of my job. Why both of us are cleaning is because of Chartette’s brute force. When Chartette is preparing foods and fixing clothing, she will certainly use her brute force to break the tableware and tear the clothes.  I’m only here to be her supervisor.

Even if she’s like this, she’s still not dismissed yet. In terms of efforts to live, she was much better than most men. More importantly, Queen Riliane liked Chartette’s bubbly personality, which was Chartette’s key to Riliane’s heart.

The Queen liking us was a crucial thing for us. In fact, serving the Queen literally means, “risking our life”. Once you angered Her Highness’s feelings, you will most likely be beheaded on the spot. Here, “dismissal” has a different meaning from the world outside.

In the last month and the month before that, Riliane sent 17 and 18 people to the guillotine, respectively. The reason why they were killed varied: some of them said rude remarks to the queen; some of them accidently spilled water on the queen’s skirt; what’s more was there was someone punished just by smiling. In short, anyone who isn’t pleasing to the queen’s eyes is immediately put to death. The Queen is no different from other humans and animals. Dolls and toys that she doesn’t want are just easily thrown away.

Not far away, Chartette was talking to me while wiping the fountain. It made me remember of our childhood. We’ve been together ever since we were young, so we talked more naturally than the other servants.

“Ah! Allen! Big trouble! This is really bad!”

“What? You broke another fountain?”

“What do you mean ‘another’! I have never broken a fountain before, okay…. Just cracked it a bit.”

“……”

“…… Oh, forget it! It’s 3:00 already. Aren’t you supposed to send Her Highness Riliane’s snacks? You’re going to be in big trouble if you won’t go.”

“…… Ah, Ney and I have already changed places. Because I didn’t think we can finish cleaning the courtyard ‘till 3:00.”

Ney, like Chartette, is specialized to be one of the Queen’s maids. At work, Ney’s hands and feet are more than diligent. And she never provokes Riliane’s anger.

“Hey~~~ kid, working hard?”

A heavy voice suddenly sounded in the yard. I tracked where the voice came from and saw someone with a red armor. The brave man went right in front of us, smiling.

“Looks like you’re having a hard time being a servant, Allen.”

“It’s nothing compared to the Commander of the Royal Guards’ duties, Leonhart-san.”

“Ah~~~~~I see. Since we’re living together, you can call me “Daddy” whenever you like to.”

“B-but this is how I’m used to calling you.”

My father scratched his head with a “why are you taking me so literally?” look. I looked at his discouraged appearance. I don’t feel like I have the right to be associated with someone who’s part of the “Three Heroes”.

“You’ve been working here for a year now. How is it? You still all right?”

“So-so, I guess. Leonhart-san……what about Germaine?”

“Germaine…… That guy’s abundant energy is giving me a headache. Yesterday, she was lashing out other people in the streets.”

“But Germaine won, right?”

“Not only did she win, she wasn’t even the slightest bit injured…… Her choice of words weren’t what you would normally hear from a woman’s mouth…… I bet in the future, no one will dare marry her.”

He smiled wryly. He and I chatted throughout the day. At that moment——

“Captain Leon~~~~~what brings you here today?”

Chartette, who had been listening at the edge of our conversation, interrupted.

After all, aside from being my good friend, she is also very close with Leon.

“What brought me here? Be a security guard for the ball, of course. It’s my duty as the Commander of the Royal Guards.”

“Well…… I thought you were here to steal wine from the warehouse again.”

“What?! I have never done such a thing! I’m currently resisting alcohol, actually.”

“Oh? Wouldn’t Captain Leonhart be unhappy if he would resist alcohol? Why are you doing this?”

Chartette asked in surprise.

Leonhart resisting alcohol….. I’m a bit surprised about this issue as well. As I recalled, ever since I was adopted, there was never a day Leonhart didn’t drink, together with his adopted daughter and my righteous sister, Germaine.

“…… Because of consecutive years of poor harvest, our food supplies are depleting. People are starving. The Commander of the Royal Guards shouldn’t indulge himself in such things, should he?”

“I really hope the Royal family and other aristocrats listened to those words too.”

Chatette mumbled. Compared to her previous remarks, that one had a significantly deeper tone.

“Her Highness Riliane’s mood hasn’t been good recently, could that be the cause?”

I asked, and Leonhart just shrugged.

“Hey, although there’s a food shortage, the palace reserves are fairly abundant, and might be enough to feed all the people. But no matter what, Her Highness Riliane and Minis-san refuse to agree on the matter.”

“But…..Only Captain Leonhart’s loyal words could persuade the queen’s decision.”

Chartette said with exasperation.

“Do you know what the queen answered to me? ‘If they can’t eat bread, let them eat cake’”

“That’s because Her Highness Riliane loves her mid-afternoon snacks.”

“That’s not the problem here…The princess doesn’t understand the value of things.”

She doesn’t realize that the food her people put on the table everyday is far worse than the feed of her beloved horse. That sheltered girl’s not even capable of looking around her.”

The conflict between Leonhart and Rilliane hadn’t been born that day. Though Leonhart was unkempt and an incorrigible boozehound, he was serious when it came to his duties as Commander and devoted towards the people. Riliane, extravagant and self-indulgent, was heinously ignorant of the world around her and paid no attention to the daily lives of her subjects, so their clashes were a common sight in the royal palace.

“Her Highness Riliane is thirteen years old –and today turns fourteen; even though she is still young to administer the affairs of state, she should think more about her subjects…”

I more or less understood what Leonhart wanted to say. It was truth that the princess’ eyes didn’t turn towards her people. In that case, it was preferable that the retainers around her attended to the affairs of the state with utmost care. However, that was unlikely to happen thanks to the incompetence of Minis, who had only reached the position of Prime Minister due to his parentage.

“Oh, well…Speaking of which…”

Leonhart sat up straighter, and changed the subject.

“Before coming here, I passed by the stables…Is Riliane out at the moment?”

“That shouldn’t be the case…I think. She would never go outside the palace on the day of her birthday party…”

A sense of impeding disaster came over me.

 “I see…But, she wasn’t there in the stables. Josephine.”

Leonhart said with a doubtful expression.

Josephine was the name of Rillianne’s beloved horse.

“She couldn’t have been stolen, could she?”

I questioned Leonhart, and he replied:

“Impossible. Today, security is especially tight. For someone to trespass so easily into the palace…”

“But what if by strengthening the defenses against trespassers…we aren’t paying enough attention to fugitives?”

Leonhart’s face changed color.

“Hey, don’t tell me that…”

At that moment, we heard someone shouting from inside the palace. That was…Ney’s voice!

“Princess Riliane! Where are you?! Princess Riliane!”

We looked at each other, and then rushed towards the voice. We entered the palace and found its owner just after she passed between some mirrors.

I took in a breath and composed myself before speaking.

“Ney, what’s wrong with Her Highness Riliane?”

Ney seemed to be on the verge of tears as she replied:

“Allen…what should we do…Princess Riliane is…. missing.”

Here in the Kingdom of Lucifenia, commonly known as the “Yellow Kingdom”, a vast forest covers the northern region.

It is called the Forest of Bewilderment: a densely forested place with no roads worthy of that name; for anyone but the local woodcutters, it is tantamount to suicide to enter it carelessly.

The Forest of Bewilderment continues into the neighboring country of Elphegort, taking the name of the Thousand-Year Tree’s Forest; the capital city of Elphegort, Aceid, isn’t far from its limits. But in reality, when going from Lucifenia to Elphegort, the usual route is to follow the main road that takes a big detour towards the east. To purposely try to pass through the Forest of Bewilderment, one would need to be in a great rush, or just ignorant.

Originally, Lucifenia was just one of the small countries grouped together in the region of Evillious; in one generation, it was expanded into the great kingdom of that time through a policy of military expansionism. The one responsible for the change was its founding monarch, Alth; apparently, he hadn’t attacked the weak nation of Elphegort since this forest presented an obstacle towards a big-scale military incursion.

In the middle of such a forest, in the hours when the sun started to set, a group of servants and the royal guards wandered about, in search of the princess.

As for how we knew that the princess had entered this forest, it was nothing less than a matter of following the tracks of Josephine from the stables into these woods. But then, to separate Josephine’s hoof-marks from the numerous imprints left in the grounds and follow them was a feat only someone like Leonhart could accomplish.

The members of the Royal Guard were frantic. It wasn’t surprising. Not only had they lost track of the whereabouts of the princess they were supposed to protect, she had ventured towards the Forest of Bewilderment. If anything happened to Riliane, simple beheadings would be out of the question.

In the darkness, the Vice Commander of the Guard loudly berated a newly-appointed soldier.

“Why didn’t you stop Princess Riliane from going outside?!”

“But…it’s Princess Riliane! If I displeased the princess by stopping her…”

“So you didn’t think of coming with the princess as her escort, at the very least? Idiot!”

The new recruit even then he seemed about to cry, or more accurately already half-crying; there probably wasn’t a point to keep censuring him any further. Although I pitied him somewhat, it wasn’t really the time for that.

The one that really deserve our sympathies was Ney. She was running around without paying any attention to the dirt covering her clothes. When she arrived into Riliane’s room and its owner wasn’t there, her only thought had been at first:Perhaps she is again by the mirrors? 

However, when she noticed the passage dug at some point inside the fireplace, the color had drained from her face.

A secret passage inside the fireplace… For the inhabitants of the palace, who knew nothing of it, it was likely like a bolt from the blue, but to tell the truth, I knew about the existence of that opening. Once, long time ago, I had passed through that passage, along with a certain someone.

Chartette wasn’t participating in the search, since she had firmly refused to go into the forest. Hardly surprising, I thought at the time. When Chartette was a small child, after losing her way in these woods, she had been kidnapped by a band of thieves that were using them as their hideout. Germaine and I had managed somehow to rescue her in that occasion, but she appeared to be traumatized by the experience.

“Don’t stray too far. You’ll get lost.”

Leonhart told me as he walked by my side.

“It’s alright. I’ve come here before.”

“…That’s true.”

Of course, Leonhart knew about what had happened to Chartette as a child. Never before he had struck me, and he never did afterwards. That was the only time. As you might expect, he hadn’t lift his hand against a Germaine, since she was a girl, but I had never seen him so upset (And then, when Leonhart became maudlin after drinking more than usual, his insistent quarreling had even worse).

Why?! We saved Chartette, and yet…

At the time, I railed against him, but wasn’t his reaction natural, since we had done it without consulting him, risking our lives in the process?

Though, I had already been inside this forest once before Chartette’s abduction. Before I was adopted by Leonhart, when I was even younger, I had slipped out of the castle, and passed through these woods…

“Commander Leonhart, I’m going a bit farther.”

“Do you have an idea or something, Allen?”

I gave him a slight nod as an answer.

“I’m telling you again, don’t get lost.”

Leonhart said those words behind me, as I started walking.

She didn’t remember what had happened then. But even so, it might be possible…

After leaving behind the forest, I reached the coast. A little further away towards the west, there was a small port city, as well as a convent that had been built as a donation from a prosperous merchant of Elphegort, Keel Freesis. But at that time, that wasn’t my objective.

As I neared the port, I spotted a small horse. It was Josephine.

It must have been difficult for the horse to run through that forest without paths. But Josephine showed no signs of tiredness, and just stood there placidly. She was a splendid horse.

And then…when I saw the girl sitting there by her side, gazing in a daze at the sea, I let out a sigh of relief without thinking.

“Riliane…Your Highness.”

Riliane’s body quivered for an instant, startled by my voice, but she soon returned to her nonchalant attitude when she turned to face me and spoke.

“Why, if it isn’t Allen.”

Riliane Lucifen d’Autriche: a girl celebrating her fourteen birthday that very day, she was the current sovereign of theKingdom of Lucifenia. By all rights, she should have been called “Queen” instead of “Princess”, but apparently due to a sense of respect for her mother, the previous monarch Queen Anne, she had elected to keep reigning as “Princess” without being enthroned, until she came to age.

"How did you know of this place?”

Without answering Riliane’s question, I approached her and noted, “Commander Leonhart is worried.”

Riliane’s expression became a little grim at that.

“Hmph, serves him right.”

I had a good inkling of why she had escaped home this time. It was probably a result of her quarrel with Leonhart the day before.

“Oh, if I hadn’t been found before the ball, that man’s head might have rolled. How vexing this is,” Riliane petulantly snorted. Actually, perhaps that had been her objective in the first place.

If her adversary weren’t Leonhart, Riliane wouldn’t have resorted to such indirect tactics.

Officially, as sole successor of the line of the previous monarch, King Alth, she was the absolute ruler of Lucifenia; with just one word, she had no difficulty in ordering the decapitation of one of her vassals.

The only reason she couldn’t eliminate him was that Leonhart was one of the Three Heroes, loyal retainers of King Alth and former saviors of the kingdom. There were many among both the aristocrats and the common people who adored him still, and even an existence that seemed to be comprised of pure haughtiness like Riliane understood the degree of animosity she would earn from beheading him carelessly.

“I’m really…. SICK OF THIS! I’M SICK OF THIS!”

Riliane suddenly lost her temper, perhaps angered when reminded of Leonhart’s privileged position. However, she seemed to calm down quickly. Emotional outbursts such as this, which were only seen when she was in front of the people she trusted, were the most characteristic aspect of Riliane’s personality.

“Good grief! Thanks to you, my plan is ruined.”

“…Forgive me.”

There shouldn’t have been any reason for her to become angry at me, but in any case, it was probably better to apologize at that point. I wouldn’t gain anything from displeasing her any further.

“Well, there is nothing to be done about it now. I’m going back.”

When Riliane attempted to get up, I spotted a small scratch in the back of her right hand. Perhaps she had injured herself with a branch or something similar when she came out the forest.

“Please wait, Your Highness.”

I took out some ointment from my pocket and softly touched Riliane’s right hand.

“…Wh-WHAT ARE DOING, YOU INSOLENT BOY?!” she shouted and slapped my cheek.

“Your hand is injured, it needs to be treated.”

My cheek was burning, but without paying attention to it, I took off the lid of the ointment and applied a small amount to the wound. It was a special ointment made by Elluka, the court sorceress. A small scratch like the one she suffered would likely be mended right away with it.

Riliane may have understood my actions then, as she stared while I rubbed the ointment on her hand, her anger forgotten.

 “…That’s right. Perhaps I shall convict Leonhart using this scratch as an excuse…Hm… But, maybe an injury this slight is too unconvincing as a reason to ruin him…,”she grumbled to herself in this manner.

As I treated her hand, my mind once more returned to the memories of my childhood.

At that time, you also…that’s right, when we were playing on this beach, you fell down and grazed your knee, and I treated the wound, like this, right? But you probably don’t remember. About that time, about the old legend I told you, and…

I could feel Riliane’s body warmth, reaching me through her right hand. The hand of a girl infamous for her cruel and inhuman acts; so why was it so warm?

And why do I…when I feel the warmth of her hand…feel so at peace?

But it’s natural, since we are…

“It’s done, isn’t it? Release me.”

Riliane’s voice brought back to my senses. Even though I was done curing the scratch, I was still grasping her hand and Riliane stared at me with suspicion.

“…..GAH! I’M…. SORRY!” 

“….Ha ha ha”

For some reason, Riliane then laughed.

“First time I see her like this. You didn’t lose your cool when I slapped you, but now you are that flustered?”

“No…er, my apologies.”I was quite aware that her words made my face go redder than when she slapped me.

“Haha, well, it’s time to go back. The sun already is setting.”The sun had already sunk halfway into the sea.

“Let’s go back taking the coastal route to the port, instead of crossing the woods,” when I said that, Riliane looked a bit surprised.

“…You’ve come to this place from there before?”

“Yes, taking that way is much faster.”

“….I-I knew that!”

With a completely red face, Riliane then suddenly started running towards the port.

“Please wait, Princess Riliane!”

“Well, hurry up!!”

“Do you intend to leave Josephine here?”

”…Ah”

As if on cue, Josephine gave a desolate neigh, almost like she was stricken with the prospect of being left behind. “When we reach the port city, let’s use a beacon and call the Royal Guard. Please return with them to the castle, Princess Riliane.”

“Are you not coming with us, Allen?”

“I don’t know how to ride a horse, so I’ll follow behind on foot.”

That was a lie. Leonhart had instructed me on the basics of both horse-riding and sword-fencing. However, to have a mere servant mastering such skills was unfathomable.

“I see. Let’s reach the port city together, then. Come on.”

With practiced movements, Riliane was in Josephine’s saddle again. With this plan, it seemed likely that she reach the castle in time for the ball.

Sitting on her mare, Riliane stared at the sunset.

"You were looking at the setting sun before, weren’t you?”

“The sun is always alone, isn’t it…?” Riliane said distractedly without turning her eyes away from the sunset. She might have not even heard my words.

That was true. But if there were two or three suns, we would all perish from the heat.

“Just like…me…”

Why did Rillianne say something like that all of the sudden? Not really understanding her train of thought, I lead her horse by the bridle.

Riliane Lucifen d’Autriche:

Protagonist of that night’s ball…

Absolute ruler of Lucifenia…

And…

My twin elder sister.

The party celebrated in occasion of the fourteenth birthday of the ruler of Lucifenia, Riliane Lucifen d’Autriche, proceeded without delays.

The splendid furnishings placed in the Hall of Mirrors, and the expectant faces of the guests all reflected the might of Lucifenia in the region of Evillious.

Among the present were the ruler of the Kingdom of Elphegort, the Green Kingdom, Sohni Elphen, as well as the head of the trading guild, the wealthy merchant Keel Freesis. From the Kingdom of Marlon, the Blue Kingdom, the young ruler Kyle Marlon was in attendance. And so on, various sovereigns of foreign nations and other people of influence had come to the castle to celebrate the birthday of our young monarch.

They all kneeled before Riliane and offered their congratulations one after the other. The princess’ influence was uncontested, both inside the Kingdom and outside its borders; it was no exaggeration to say that everything in the world existed for her sake, that a word from her made everything move.

As for me, the cleaning duty since noon, and the search for Riliane afterwards, weighted down on me, so by the time I finally reached the palace I was fighting to stay awake, but I had no time to take a rest. Since the search for the princess had involved the handworkers, the preparations for the ball had fallen behind schedule, so all servants had no choice but put all the energy into their work.

Even with the ball already underway, taking a rest was out of the question. In any case, we had many illustrious foreign visitors gathered under one roof. Things had to proceed without a hitch.

In a corner, some men that seemed to be aristocrats from another country were engaged in a lighthearted chat.

“This has turned into an age of power for women.”

“And to think that a girl barely fourteen is a ruler of such a strong nation as Lucifenia…”

“Well, of the Three Heroes that contributed to the expansion of this country, aren’t two of the three females?”

“And in the Kingdom of Marlon as well, although officially the ruler is the young king Kyle, the real power is in the hands of the Dowager Queen Prim, his mother.”

“And even the merchant, Freesis-san, is under the thumb of his wife.”

 The aristocrats didn’t even look at me. For them, we servants were not much different from livestock or rocks scattered to the side of the road. However, when presented with someone that had my same face, they flattered Riliane to no end, anxiously currying her favor.

We were born of the same mother, and yet our place in life is so different. Why?

Riliane and I –the roles we had in life could easily been reversed, if fate had taken a slightly different path.

“Are you tired, Allen?”

Perhaps concerned by my look of exhaustion, Mariam moved closer to speak to me.

“I’m alright, ma’am”

“If you are having a hard time, you should go to the servant’s quarters right now and rest for a while, don’t you think? After this we will have to clean up and put things in order, there’s a lot to be done, after all.”

Mariam, the head of the maids of the palace, was one of the “Three Heroes” just like Leonhart. Why was a great hero like her showing concern for a simple servant? Once, I tried to ask Leonhart about her, but he only replied: “In a country there are all types of women, you know? All types.” I didn’t really learn anything from that.

“There seems to be something on your mind…Something about Princess Riliane, perhaps?”

I hurriedly searched for words, but couldn’t find a quick answer. Mariam’s question was right on target.

“Even though you are different, being boy and girl, your face is the same. Then, why is your station in life is so different? You were thinking something along those lines, weren’t you?” Mariam said with a slightly teasing tone.

“Ma’am, are you a mind reader?”

“Of course not. It’s not like I’m Elluka…well, she says she doesn’t read minds either.”

The Court Magician, Elluka, was yet another member of the “Three Heroes”.

“…Speaking of which, the fact that Princess Riliane and I resemble one another…isn’t that a problem?”

The significance of my question seemed to elude Mariam for a second.

“What do you mean, Allen?”

“Well, there’s not even a one in a ten thousand chance, that Riliane and I…”

“Princess Riliane, you mean”

“…I’m sorry. Princess Riliane and I…If it was discovered we are twins separated…” I enquired in a voice nobody but Mariam would hear.

I carry the blood of the royal family of Lucifenia in my veins; I am Riliane’s younger brother…only five people knew that secret: the Three Heroes, Minister Minis and me.

“That won’t be an issue. At first, some people seemed suspicious of how similar Princess Riliane and you were. But Elluka convinced all of them, apparently, just by saying that in this world, there are people who look identical, and they come in groups of three.”

Could it really be that simple? Seeing my doubtful expression, Mariam continued her explanation.

“Well, it’s because Elluka has many ‘devotees’ inside the castle that believe in her. You are probably not aware of that, but the effect of her words is unparalleled.”

As a royal prince, I was officially dead. After the death of my father Alth, there was a political struggle within our kingdom. As a result, two of the ministers were assassinated, and during that incident, I, six years old at the time, became involved in the struggle and lost my life.

“Then there’s Princess Riliane. There’s a chance that she might remember you, but…that is likely to be a non-issue, too. It’s been a year since you came here. She doesn’t seem to have any suspicions about your parentage,” Mariam said.

That was true. Why had Riliane forgotten about me…about her early childhood?

The obvious answer, when I thought about it, was Elluka. With her abilities known as “magic”, it was possible that she had sealed away Riliane’s memories. But why would she do that? I wasn’t sure. Even if I asked Elluka or Mariam, they would likely refuse to answer.

If they had any intention to tell me, they would have said something already.

While I kept thinking about my sister and me, the gathering became more animated. It seemed like the main event was about to start.

“Welcome everyone, thank you for coming today! There’s plenty of food and beverages and pleasant conversation awaiting us after this, so please eat to your heart’s content, and enjoy yourselves!” Minister Minis greeted the crowd. Behind him, Princess Riliane sat smiling in her throne.

I felt relieved. She seemed to be in such a good mood that it was hard to believe that she had escaped the castle, and had been sulking until shortly before the party.

Probably the sight of all those adults gathering just for her sake and bowing their heads filled her with amusement.

I brought the food into the mirrored hall along with the other servants. By chance, I happened to see Leonhart guarding the entrance. He looked bored and his eyes wandered from place to place. As I went about my work, I kept thinking back to the things he said to me, when I was sweeping the gardens. How many people could be saved, by having just this amount of food delivered to the city? After carrying all the dishes, a sigh had just left my lips when Ney called out to me.

 “Allen, we are not done yet! There’s still one more thing, and it’s big!”

What was she talking about? As far as I knew, that was everything…

“Everyone, this is a special treat Princess Riliane has arranged for your entertainment.” The minister’s voice was the sign for Ney, the other servants and me to bring into the Hall of Mirrors a unique item.

That castle was…It seemed like something straight out of a fairytale…A castle made of sweets.

It was perhaps about my height. The base was made of countless layers of cake. The outer walls were covered with pure white cream, and over them, the glossy roofs were made of chocolate. And there were so many candies decorating the princess’ gift, it was impossible to count them all. It was so skillfully made that it didn’t seem like a castle of sweets at all. It made me think that if I were to open its doors, a witch would beckon me in.

And that witch would smile in the same way Riliane was smiling then.

Thanks to the moving platform it was on, it wasn’t particularly hard to transport the castle of sweets. However…It was hard to believe Riliane had ordered such a thing to be done. From what I heard later, Riliane was hit with the idea that same morning and had the patissier bake it.

“Ooooooo” The party guests raised their voices in amazement. Apparently the castle of sweets had a sizeable effect towards demonstrating the might of Lucifenia. Though it wasn’t like that was Riliane’s objective in the first place. It was likely she just wanted to eat something like it; she just wanted to have some fun. There was nothing more to it.

With the jaw dropping in shock, Leonhart’s face reddened. Looking clearly enraged, he stormed out of the Hall of Mirrors. I went after the flustered commander.

“Fa… Sir Leonhart, what about guard duty!?”

“I~~~want to~~~drink~~~wine~~~”

Soon, I discovered that my cries even reached the Benjisen family’s tailorshop, which was a kilometer away.

I can’t remember how many days have passed ever since I’ve started resisting wine. To start with, I’m only doing this because of my father’s orders: “Until the day that the food shortage is resolved, no one will be allowed to drink wine in this family.” Very wise decision, yes. But sometimes I just wanna drink wine like crazy.

I heard a legend about someone they call Vampire Girl, Banica Conchita. According to the legend, if she doesn’t drink wine made from human blood for three days straight, her body will wither. I wonder if I’m a reincarnation of Banica.

And the most terrible thing about my situation is, I’m the only person at home. My dad went to the palace ball for guard work, he’ll probably won’t be home until midnight.

There must be thousands of red wine I’m not seeing being consumed by the aristocrats at the Royal Palace. And here I am thinking how my heart would surge just to see that.

After all, why can’t I drink wine in the first place? Because of food shortages. And why are there food shortages? That’s because there’s poor harvest this year, all because that goddamn “Daughter of Evil” Riliane had taken them away from the hands of the people!

She doesn’t care about the citizens, all she cares about is her own interests. And not only that, she’ll guillotine anyone who’s against her. That leading aristocrat is that kind of person. The people never call her a “Queen”. To the people she’s just a “little girl”. No, not harsh enough. It should be “Daughter of Evil”.

…… Come to think of it, I actually never seen Riliane. Even the people hardly ever sees what she really looks like. All day long, the “Daughter of Evil” plays inside her little palace, not being seen by the public’s eyes. For her, the people are merely objects that she could just set aside just like that. I’m pretty sure that she doesn’t look very good.

I’m depressed that i can’t vent my feelings with other people. Since my father is the Commander of the Guards, which is under direct control of the Royal family, I’m not supposed to say bad things against the family of the Royal Palace.

"Palace…."

I wonder how Allen’s going with his new life. I was really surprised when my father said to

send him to the palace and work as a servant. That day, my father and I had a big fight at night and quarreled till dawn.

Sending him to the palace, sure I can understand that. In a sense where he’ll be considered to be the son of high power. But “servant”? Puh-leez~! That kid is a fencing genius! He should be one of dad’s professional guards.

"Oh ~ ~ ~ ~ ~Germaine~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ I’m home!"

As I was pondering, I heard that my father’s back home.

"You’re back. Have you eaten yet?"

"Me? I’ve eaten…….Uhh… What are you doing?"

I leaned my nose closer to check my father’s odor. Nope. There’s no alcohol.

"It seems that you didn’t drink."

"Why, of course! We already agreed on that, didn’t we?"

Even if I don’t understand why my father sent Allen as a servant, I still trust my dad. Which might be the profound reason why I don’t ever ask him why. I will keep waiting for that day when my adopted unrelated brother, Allen, and my respected father, Leonhart Avadonia, will take the initiative to tell me why.

Section 2 ——Lodging in the hearts of evil——

?Allen ~Lucifenia Kingdom’s “Hall of Sounds”~

"Off with his head!"

Riliane’s voice echoed throughout the whole Hall of Sounds.

The poor shackled criminal was sent to the execution station. Although he was a criminal, he didn’t commit murder, robbery, or any of such crimes. He was only guilty for contradicting our Great Highness Riliane. As a politician, he had a very good reputation, which might be the reason why he can’t tolerate the tyranny of the queen. He was filled with anger he couldn’t vent out.

Riliane and the ministers held a meeting in the Hall of Sounds. And the princess personally issued judgement on the criminal, who met with foreign guests at the ball held at the Hall of Mirrors a few days ago.

If “Contradicting princess Riliane is a crime.” was written on the law, I’m afraid Leonhart’s head would have been beheaded hundreds of times. The sole reason why he’s still alive, comes entirely from the the great glory of being one of the “Three Heroes”.

As the trial ended, Riliane and the ministers began to leave the Hall of Sounds. And that’s where I come in. Me, and another servant named Asan, was responsible for the cleaning today.

The Hall of Sounds was used to commemorate the loyal soldiers who participated in times of War. As a memorial, a lot of decorations, swords, rifles, and a full set of armor class equipment were placed inside the hall.

I cleaned all of them carefully. Although the weapons were easy to clean, there are some high class goods here that we, servants, could never afford in our whole lifetime. That’s why we should be careful not to break them. That’s also why this kind of work could never be handed down to Chartette.

On the other side of the room, Asan, like me, was also cleaning carefully. The majority of the palace servants are female and Asan was one of the few male members.

"Minis! Minis, where the hell are you?!"

A loud shout suddenly sounded at the Hall. I looked up and saw Riliane, who came back to the Hall of Sounds with a grim expression and looked around the hall.

Minis called out and quickly ran to the princess. His appearance reminded me of a puppy named Chubby, Germaine raised long ago.

"I’m here! Does the Royal Highness want anything?"

"Minis, don’t you think my food is getting shabby?"

"Ah? I…… I think…… it doesn’t seem right."

Asking the Prime Minister about lunch is useless, because this man’s only job is handling the State. Well, even I, a servant, thinks he won’t come in handy.

Riliane continued to curse:

"This is not only about the food, I also lacked one knife! I specifically ordered that I need FIVE knives when I eat!"

"I……. I’m extremely sorry, Milady. I’ll inform Mariam about the meal soon enough."

Come to think of it, she could always look for Mariam instead of Minis. But compared to the adamant Mariam, yelling at this always-trembling little man feels much more comfortable.

So to say, it seems that Asan was the one in charge for sending the lunch today. I hope she doesn’t point a finger on him. I’m beginning to worry about narrow-minded Asan, who seems to be looking at his past right now.

…….. Asan looked very weird, his gaze was randomly changing focus point. He seems to be holding something in his hands…….. Ah! A knife!

"WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Asan roared and dashed towards Riliane. As this happened, Riliane and Minis suddenly froze in place. I saw as Asan’s knife was moving towards Riliane’s abdomen.

Riliane!

I hit Asan at once. And Riliane? Oh, she was all right.

Asan was knocked to the ground, but immediately got up, and aimed his knife towards Riliane once again. Leonhart and his professional guards were far away from the situation, so this would certainly be a calamity. By her side, Minis did the only thing he knew to do in this kind of situation: tremble.

——It seems that only I…… could protect Princess Riliane.——

I paid close attention to the situation and realized that I was cleaning a sword. I held on it tightly but found bad news——the sword, didn’t have an edge!

I suddenly became anxious, but I took a deep breath and turned to Asan. I calmly convinced myself that this isn’t happening. Asan’s posture, he’s obviously not familiar with the use of cutting tools. He’s just a layman. Moreover, it’s just a knife. I couldn’t possibly lose against him.

I went from the sword rack to the middle of the room and gazed eyes at Asan. I immediately got his attention and he was overwhelmed to see me. That moment——

——Clang——

I swung my sword horizontally and sent the knife flying from Asan’s hands. The knife fell on the floor and Asan apparently became flustered for being unarmed. But he immediately realized that the wall behind him was placed with guns. So he turned around and wanted to take a gun for a weapon.

——Until——

I threw the sword to Asan’s ventral area and Asan’s face quickly changed color from the severe pain. Although this non-edged sword didn’t hack him to death, I resorted a lot of strength so a few of his ribs were likely dislocated.

Riliane was so scared that she didn’t even speak one word, but instead foolishly watched us at one side. When she finally came back to her old self, her always arrogant voice said:

"Quick! Seize him, quickly!"

I heard the late riot of soldiers coming to the Hall of Sounds, and dragged Asan out of the palace.

After some investigation, it was discovered that Asan was the brother of the politician who was sentenced to death earlier. It seems that he wanted to avenge him.

The next day, Asan was also sent to the guillotine.

Here in the Kingdom of Lucifenia, commonly known as the “Yellow Kingdom”, a vast forest covers the northern region.

It is called the Forest of Bewilderment: a densely forested place with no roads worthy of that name; for anyone but the local woodcutters, it is tantamount to suicide to enter it carelessly.

The Forest of Bewilderment continues into the neighboring country of Elphegort, taking the name of the Thousand-Year Tree’s Forest; the capital city of Elphegort, Aceid, isn’t far from its limits. But in reality, when going from Lucifenia to Elphegort, the usual route is to follow the main road that takes a big detour towards the east. To purposely try to pass through the Forest of Bewilderment, one would need to be in a great rush, or just ignorant.

Originally, Lucifenia was just one of the small countries grouped together in the region of Evillious; in one generation, it was expanded into the great kingdom of that time through a policy of military expansionism. The one responsible for the change was its founding monarch, Alth; apparently, he hadn’t attacked the weak nation of Elphegort since this forest presented an obstacle towards a big-scale military incursion.

In the middle of such a forest, in the hours when the sun started to set, a group of servants and the royal guards wandered about, in search of the princess.

As for how we knew that the princess had entered this forest, it was nothing less than a matter of following the tracks of Josephine from the stables into these woods. But then, to separate Josephine’s hoof-marks from the numerous imprints left in the grounds and follow them was a feat only someone like Leonhart could accomplish.

The members of the Royal Guard were frantic. It wasn’t surprising. Not only had they lost track of the whereabouts of the princess they were supposed to protect, she had ventured towards the Forest of Bewilderment. If anything happened to Riliane, simple beheadings would be out of the question.

In the darkness, the Vice Commander of the Guard loudly berated a newly-appointed soldier.

“Why didn’t you stop Princess Riliane from going outside?!”

“But…it’s Princess Riliane! If I displeased the princess by stopping her…”

“So you didn’t think of coming with the princess as her escort, at the very least? Idiot!”

The new recruit even then he seemed about to cry, or more accurately already half-crying; there probably wasn’t a point to keep censuring him any further. Although I pitied him somewhat, it wasn’t really the time for that.

The one that really deserve our sympathies was Ney. She was running around without paying any attention to the dirt covering her clothes. When she arrived into Riliane’s room and its owner wasn’t there, her only thought had been at first:Perhaps she is again by the mirrors? 

However, when she noticed the passage dug at some point inside the fireplace, the color had drained from her face.

A secret passage inside the fireplace… For the inhabitants of the palace, who knew nothing of it, it was likely like a bolt from the blue, but to tell the truth, I knew about the existence of that opening. Once, long time ago, I had passed through that passage, along with a certain someone.

Chartette wasn’t participating in the search, since she had firmly refused to go into the forest. Hardly surprising, I thought at the time. When Chartette was a small child, after losing her way in these woods, she had been kidnapped by a band of thieves that were using them as their hideout. Germaine and I had managed somehow to rescue her in that occasion, but she appeared to be traumatized by the experience.

“Don’t stray too far. You’ll get lost.”

Leonhart told me as he walked by my side.

“It’s alright. I’ve come here before.”

“…That’s true.”

Of course, Leonhart knew about what had happened to Chartette as a child. Never before he had struck me, and he never did afterwards. That was the only time. As you might expect, he hadn’t lift his hand against a Germaine, since she was a girl, but I had never seen him so upset (And then, when Leonhart became maudlin after drinking more than usual, his insistent quarreling had even worse).

Why?! We saved Chartette, and yet…

At the time, I railed against him, but wasn’t his reaction natural, since we had done it without consulting him, risking our lives in the process?

Though, I had already been inside this forest once before Chartette’s abduction. Before I was adopted by Leonhart, when I was even younger, I had slipped out of the castle, and passed through these woods…

“Commander Leonhart, I’m going a bit farther.”

“Do you have an idea or something, Allen?”

I gave him a slight nod as an answer.

“I’m telling you again, don’t get lost.”

Leonhart said those words behind me, as I started walking.

She didn’t remember what had happened then. But even so, it might be possible…

Ever since Asan’s attempt of assasinating Riliane, the princess had been alienating everyone who was around her. Only four people were allowed to be beside her: Me, Chartette, Ney, and Mariam.

And only two people were allowed to stay in her room: Riliane and me. After dinner, I was ordered to meet with her in her room.

"Allen. Good work, last time."

This was Riliane’s opening remarks. She was referring to the Asan issue.

"You…… know how to fence?"

I couldn’t help but worry since I didn’t know how to answer. But in the end, I chose to tell her the truth.

"I’m sorry for not being frank. In fact, my father taught me fencing ever since I was little."

I didn’t tell Riliane that Leonhart was my father, because my father had told me not to mention this to her. If Riliane knew about this, she’ll definitely kick me out of the palace.

I think my statement was somewhat reasonable.

"Really?….. I also learned fencing when I was little. The soldiers tried several attempts to beat me but I never lost. I’m so powerful, ai’nt I?"

She boasted proudly. However, I’m afraid that no man in this country will ever dare to do the real thing to her.

"Even in my opinion, your sword is very powerful. So there is something I would like to entrust you with."

I have a bad feeling about this.

Riliane reached her hands on to a piece of parchment from the table and then used a feather pen to write something on the top. After writing on the piece of parchment, she put it inside a little glass bottle and handed it to me.

"……?"

As I was bewildered with what i was seeing, Riliane instructed:

"Take out the parchment and read the words on the top."

I removed the parchment on the vial and began to read the contents of the upper portion. One sentence was written:

——Assasinate Leonhart.——

I paused for a moment. Riliane……… My sister. Is she out of her mind?

"Shocked? Oh, it’s hardly even surprising. Anyway, this is what i entrust you to do, since those pro-guard guys certainly won’t even dare touch him."

I wasn’t sure how to answer Riliane. Because I didn’t know any other way, I tried to change the angle of doubt.

"Why did you tell me this in such a way? Why not tell it to me directly?"

"Why? You mean the small bottle? Well, someone had told me that your most important wish of all will certainly be achieved if you practice this. I forgot who that person was though."

I told her that method once. It seems that Riliane lost her memory but in some twisted way, she managed to remember this.

"…….. Why do you want to kill Captain Leonhart?……."

"I need to explain that too? You know, the difference between me and him is like fire and ice. Plus, that thing with the Palace Barns…… had made my patience reach it’s limit! Why does that guy need to object my views every single time?…… Ah——I hate him, I really hate him!”

Riliane’s anger changed the tone of her voice. But she immediately went back to normal and cough midly as if to adjust the atmosphere.

"And, did you know? That guy looks loyal on the outside, but he actually had many secret love affairs before. I also heard that during a way, even if he knew that they weren’t enemies, he killed many compatriots and kidnapped a baby from the compromised countries. It is also said that he’s actually attempting to subvert our country, and so on…….."

"Those rumors…. Who told you these?"

"Ney."

Ney looks honest, but she’s a little loose-tounged and really loves to pass gossip among people. All those rumors ciculating among the maids, and even that thing Riliane ordered just now, all those rumors are basically coming from Ney’s mouth.

"Do you refuse to believe my answer?"

Perhaps reading my facial expressions, Riliane gazed at my face and said:

"You think these rumors aren’t true? Indeed, Ney is loose-tongued, but she isn’t that type of woman who lies. Moreover……. As other people would say: There’s no smoke when there’s no fire."

Riliane continued.

"That thing you wrote on the parchment….. That sentence alone is enough for me to kill him. Because his prestige isn’t small…… I will be misunderstood by the public if I kill him. So I thought of a way! Since I can’t kill him in public, I will kill him silently!"

Riliane’s innocent face was filled with pride for this plan.

(Hmmm, it seems that I have thought of a good idea!)

Inadvertently, I recalled my younger years.

(In fact, I stumbled upon a channel inside the warm stove! We can both leave the palace, together!)

Even if she lost her memory, she’s still my older sister…… And all, but……

"I think…… I can’t beat Captain Leonhart with my capabilities."

I finally managed to squeeze out such a reply.

"Relax, I have a plan."

Riliane told me all about her scheme.

I see, using this kind of method might actually succeed…… But…….

"You must not tell anyone else about this. This is a secret between the two of us."

(This is a secret between the two of us!)

I also said that to Riliane once.

And Riliane is saying it just like how I said it…….. Ah ah, but…….

——Where has the gear gone off?——

"It starts tomorrow night. Prior to that, I’m already preapared for it. But just for tonight, I’m going to take a rest."

"Ha~~~~~ Can’t stand."

At dinner, my father emoted in such a way and finished it off with another sigh.

"What’s the problem, Dad?"

Seeing my father this despressed is rare, so I can’t help but wonder what happened. I don’t think today’s dinner looks like the most nasty tomatoes he’d ever seen.

"The Queen asked me to go to the Palace."

After listening to my father, I stopped his hand, which was going to push bread unto his mouth.

"……. Has the Palace Barn thing already been exposed?"

"Maybe Germaine, Daddy might be coming to an end. If I die, I want you to be my successor."

"Don’t say such inauspicious things, father. You never get hurt, so there must be some way to get out of this situation."

Food shortages gradually became an urgent problem and the streets have been full of bones of the people who starved to death. In order to get a little food, more and more people are switching to looting and killing. Even if we’re eating dinner now, the Commander of the Guards is still quite poor like the rest of the country.

I learned that my father was stealing food from the Palace Barns to relieve the citizens from starvation. To tell the truth, I’m kind of embarassed of his actions, but he was proud.

What I’m proud of is the fact that one of the “Three Heroes”, Leonhart Avadonia, and some aristocrats who only know how to line their own pockets, are the outstanding personalities of the citizens in the first place.

"Anyway, I should be back late tommorrow. By that time, remember to eat your food."

"I know, and I will……. If there’s food left."

After that, my father and I didn’t speak a word and continued eating silently.

"……… Germaine, why is your dress so worn out? A girl should be wearing something more clean. Isn’t that the dress I bought for you as a birthday present a while back?"

My father bought me this dress because he thinks it makes me look more girly. It was color red to match my dad’s suit of armor. Although as a daily attire, it’s a little ostentatious. I am very happy to wear it everyday since my father rarely buys me any gifts.

"Birthday present…. Oh yes!"

Father remembered something and suddenly ran to the warehouse. He soon went back and put on the table, a frequently used handbag, filled with something I don’t know.

"Dad? What are you doing?"

"I compelety forgotten about this thing. I’ll be bringing this tommorrow when I go to the palace."

The next day, my father bid farewell as usual. My father, with a slovenly askew look and a red suit of armor, went on his way to the palace.

At that time, I never suspected that my whole life would be changing.

By afternoon, I still haven’t decided.

Do I want to kill Leonhart? Do I want to kill the one who raised me? But he saved me from almost being implicated in political disputes when I was an infant. And they treat me like I’m part of their family.

I can’t do it, how could I?

Maybe I should just give up. I learned how to use a sword, not to kill, but to protect Riliane - my twin sister. That was my only determination to learn.

Even I were to be beheaded, I wouldn’t do it. Even if it’s my own family that instructed me to do it, I wouldn’t kill my adoptive father since I was raised well.

Someone went to the Servant Room. It was Ney.

"Ney, you’re also taking a break?"

"Yes, Her Highness Riliane just finished eating. I’m also done sweeping."

"Yeah, I’m almost done taking a break. Go ahead."

"And so, Allen."

Ney called as I was just about to stand up and remove my body from the chair.

"What?"

"About that…….. Captain Leonhart thing………"

It seems to be that occurence in the kitchen.

"Don’t mind it, Ney. Maybe that situation could make you upset. But even if we know that you’re the one who’s laying information, no one would hate you."

"It’s not that…… I’ve heard……. some other news about Captain leonhart."

"…….."

"I have overheard a conversation between my mom and Leonhart. And Allen, they were referring to you."

Mariam and Leonhart talking about me? What did they say?

"They said, you are………….. Leonhart’s adopted son. And furthermore……… they sent you the palace as a servant for a reason."

"The reason I am aware of why Leonhart sent me to the palace, was because Her Highness Riliane hates the Royal Guards and will not let any of them get close to her. So he told me to go by the Queen’s side, until the time comes that I need to protect her."

Ney shooked her head.

"Wrong…… That’s not the case, Allen. The reason why he asked you to get closer to Her Highness Riliane……… is to assassinate the Queen."

As I heard Ney’s words, my mind went to a complete stop. She……. she said what?

"Captain Leonhart doesn’t quite like the Queen, you know? He seems to be……. looking for the right timing for you…… to…….. kill Her Highness Riliane. He said that this is for the people."

Leonhart……. wants to kill Riliane?

"Mom didn’t seem to know it, and was furious after he finished speaking. I’m sure that she also….. did not expect that Captain Leonhart…….. actually has such a terrible plan."

I………… was cheated? From the very beginning……. I was just his tool?….

"These words…… I can’t say it to anyone else….. Even my mother refused to reveal anything about it…. Allen, you said, how can I do—-"

Not letting Ney finish speaking, I left the room.

That night.

I was on standby outside Riliane’s room.

My ears perked up to listen carefully to the conversation inside.

"You’ve came. Sit down first."

It was Riliane’s voice.

"………Your Highness Riliane, it’s getting late. A man like me and a woman like you isolated at this time of the night…. seems a little inappropriate……"

And that was Commander of the Guards, Leonhart’s voice.

"This is something I don’t want other people to hear, so I had to pick this time. What did you say? Are you horny and want to attack me?"

"W-…. Why am I the one getting all the blame from the beginning?!"

Riliane laughed at the intimidated Leonhart.

"It was a joke. I understand that you’re not interested in children like me. The Commander of the Guards likes boobs of mature women as plump as my mother’s, right?

"……..! Y- You’re joking."

Muttering privately, Leonhart and Riliane talked about her mother, Queen Anne’s crushes. These were something I originally didn’t know but Ney quietly told me just recently.

"Well, let’s cut to the chase. In fact, Leonhart, my Lord, as a nation, I think we should start considering the people."

It seems that Leonhart was surprise by Riliane’s speech, or maybe he still hasn’t recovered from Riliane’s previous joke; either way, he asked in a trembling voice:

"Riliane, Your Highness, what do you mean?"

"I meant your eviction of the food in the Palace Barns….. and so on. Don’t worry, I did not call you here to punish you for your plans. Instead, because of your consideration for the citizens, I have to be grateful for you."

"……"

"From now on, you can freely send food from the Officials, but for one condition! You must get my persmission in an upright manner to do it. I hate people surreptitiously doing little tricks."

It was silent for a moment.

"……Thank……. Thank you, Your Highness Riliane!!"

"Oh, the line. The line between you and me is like fire and ice. But in the future, the relationship between us should gradually improve."

"Your Royal Highness, Riliane! I, Leonhart, cannot express how truly grateful I am for this!"

It seems that Leonhart is really happy. Although his voice is still shaking and even if I stayed outside Riliane’s room, I could make out that there’s something about that voice that makes it different from before.

The room suddenly had a jingling sound. It sounded like glassware or silverware bumping each other.

"To celebrate for today, I heard you’ve been resisting liquor? Come, have something to drink."

Normally, Leonhart might sternly refuse this, and this is what Germaine is worried about the most.

However.

"Thank you! It’s an honor to obey that order!"

He’s like falling into the trap of the beast.

And then, there were boozing sounds of liquid being dumped.

“‘Blood Grave’…… The favorite wine of the Legendary Vampire Girl Banica Conchita…… Rest assured, there’s no blood, just a cup of the best red wine.”

Riliane explained. She actually took out a high-class treasure.

"Oh! Wine! The taste is so mellow! Would Her Highness Riliane also want a cup?"

For not drinking for days and tasting a high-quality treasure, Leonhart suddenly was in a great mood.

"I don’t drink and I really don’t understand what part of struggling with these kinds of liquids is good."

"Her Highness Riliane is still young. By time, Her Royal Highness will someday taste the excellent taste."

The two continued celebrating until late at night.

Three o’clock.

The drunk and pretending to be gone with the wind, Leonhart was humming to himself as he walked at the empty courtyard. Seeing this, I stood in front of him.

"You don’t seem to be drunk lightly."

Listening to me, Leonhart replied with a flushed face:

"Oh~~~~~Allen ah, *cough*~~~~~~~ I really resisted alcohol, but today I encountered a very pleasing matter~~~~I accidentally drank too much."

"This way, if someone attacks you, I’m afraid you won’t withstand a single blow."

"Probably~~~~~~~But that’s unlikely. Hurrah~~~~~ah! Right on! I have something to give you……"

I pulled out a sword——a sword Riliane lent me. Upon seeing this, Leonhart’s expression immediately froze.

"…… What do you mean, Allen?"

"What I mean is: You have to die here, Captain Leonhart."

At that moment, I discovered that Leonhart pulled out a sword and was laid out in a posture. Good, it’s time for him to do so.

"Who ordered you to do this? This can’t be your personal decision."

"…… I won’t tell."

Leonhart was soon disillusioned and said:

"I can see now who ordered you…….You turned out to be like this ah. Now I see that this was all a trap from the very start."

I slowly shortened my distance between Leonhart.

"I’m not usually your enemy…… But now, can you, with those staggering footsteps, escape my sword?"

"As a swordsman, you don’t attack me from behind. Indeed, that’s how swordsmen do it, which is commendable. But……!"

Leonhart suddenly lowered his body and slashed his sword horizontally.

I was thinking of swiftly moving backwards to escape the blow……but it was too late! I was only able to use my sword to fend off the blow to avoid being chopped horizontally, followed by an opportunity to get my legs cut off——this is Lucifenian fencing. But Leonhart immediately adjusted his posture, like he had already guessed that what I was thinking was generally to avoid the attack. This is the technique that immediately reflects the experience gap between us.

"You speak too much in combat."

Leonhart smiled slightly, as if to tell me that he was relaxed.

"Our skills are no different from each other."

I removed the sword from the rack & centered it in front of me. I better not hold back this time.

"……’Unicorn Style’, your original move, Allen."

"If I use the moves that you taught me, it’s likely that you see through my moves pretty easily."

Leonhart raised his sword as high as his head, and aimed me with his sharp blade. The “Bull Style”…. his favorite move.

After being stationary for a few seconds, it was followed by…..!

This is my turn to launch an attack!

……

……

……

As I originally expected, I should know the outcome within a few minutes.

However, as I swung my sword across the air, he used his sword to block my attack. He’s too strong, which is the true strength of one of the “Three Heroes”! Even if he’s drunk, I still can’t battle him!

Only then did I discover that he has a passive side. I wanted to move back a few steps to distance myself from him, but a wall was behind me.

"Well…… You’ve become stronger, Allen."

Leonhart breathed very rapidly.

"I will not kill you, but…… you have to resign from your duties of being a servant. In fact,…… in this way,…… We can be together with Germaine…… Just three people…… living in harmony."

At that moment, Leonhart weakened and knelt on the ground.

"Damn…… I’m dying…… My body…… can’t move……"

I walked from the wall to Leonhart’s side.

"Finally, it took effect…… Or I should say: it has already took effect long ago, but you have been fighting it back……"

"The wine…… You put drugs in it!"

"Chronic Anesthesia. I wasn’t able to find any highly toxic poison…… Fortunately, I happened to find this. To be honest, I was still afraid that I will lose against you."

I raised my sword, and was ready to give him a final blow.

Leonhart’s legs could no longer hold the weight of his body and fell on the ground.

At the same time, something rolled out from his arms.

"……?"

I looked closely and saw a small but beautifully decorated…… Hand Mirror?

"Ah…… That’s…… for your birthday a few days ago…… I went back here because I thought you would like it…… Since you and the Royal Highness share the same birthday,…… I was surprised that I completely forgotten about it, sorry."

I looked at it carefully…… This decoration, it’s like I know it from somewhere……

"It’s the same as…… Riliane’s. But I just got this from a bargain…… and it’s fake. You, the person who serves in the palace,…… have to pay attention…… to your appearance."

"Leonhart……Why…… Why do you want to kill Riliane?"

I was still holding my sword and asked in such a way.

"……? I don’t know what you’re saying……"

"Since you’re playing dumb, forget it."

I threw the sword and pierced his chest.

"……! Ugh!"

"…… This way, no one will go against her."

I pulled out the sword and red blood splashed around my surroundings. Hey, I cleaned that carefully before the Z line.

"…… It really hurts. It’s terrible ah, I’m gonna…… die."

"Farewell, the heroic Leonhart."

"…… All right…… In the end, you never called me ‘Daddy". Seriously…… Why…… did you have to kill me?……"

I have to protect her, protect that lonely girl.

My sight blurred. Why? Why is there blood splattering?

"You’ve became ‘under the hands of the Daughter of Evil’. Hey, since there is no other way…… Allen…… Let me remind you of one last thing:…… Be careful…… and…… don’t cry."

After leaving this sentence, Leonhart didn’t move anymore.

Riliane is very lonely.

Even if she is surrounded by millions of people in the palace, all of them are her enemies. But don’t worry, I will protect you. As long as you’re smiling on your throne, your life isn’t on the line.

Under the hands of the “Daughter of Evil”? It doesn’t matter.

If it’s in order to protect you,

I will become evil for you.

Last night, I didn’t sleep a wink.

As I looked down on the mirror, I was shocked by my own reflection. If my dad saw me like this, he’ll say: “Inadequate sleep is the great enemy of the skin.”

I left home and went to the nearby riverbank. At first, I wanted to use the river to wash my face and get my mind off things a little.

But, until morning, my father didn’t go home.

Was he instructing the “Daughter of Evil” all night long? How pathetic. When he comes back, I’ll prepare him a special meal. Heck, we could even drink wine together. It’s okay to drink wine occasionally.

When I approached the river, I saw a person I haven’t seen for quite some time.

"Hey, Chartette! Long time no see!"

She’s a cheerful friend of Allen and been working in the palace as a maid long ago. I don’t know if she’s doing well though.

"Ah! B-……Big Sister…… Long time no see……"

When we were children, Allen and I, just as two, rescued her from being kidnapped by thieves. After that, she respected us a lot, and even address me as “big sister”. That’s really cute…… but her age should be older than mine.

"What bring you here? I didn’t expect to see you here."

"Early this morning, I came out to buy things I haven’t had my whole maid life! But……"

What happened? She seems so lackadaisical.

I took a closer look and found that a lot of people gathered around the shore.

"Hmmmm? What happened?"

As I asked that question, Chartette’s face changed.

"AH! No…… no…… nothing! Really, there’s nothing happening there. We just love making some noise."

"If it’s really all right, then why are people gathering there? Did they find a buried treasure or something?"

"Ah~~~ No! Don’t go there!"

Not minding what Chartette said, I moved to the center of the crowd.

I saw a very familiar thing.

No, NO. Definitely not, THIS IS NOT HAPPENING. That’s not the askew suit of armor. THAT’S NOT THE LION SWORD. That’s not lying on the ground, NO, I don’t know that man, HE DIDN’T DIE, that’s not him, NO. He’s not Daddy. IMPOSSIBLE. He’s not my father, MY FATHER CAN’T BE HERE. WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. This is not happening. This isn’t happening. DAD CAN’T BE DEAD. WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. No, not Daddy. NOT FATHER. WRONG. Impossible. NO. NO. NO. He’s not Daddy. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NOT DADDY NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO……

"Sister…… Do you want me to cheer you up?…… *weep*…… *weep**cry*"

I picked up my Dad’s upper body. His face was very pale. No big deal. As long as the wine he drinks is red, Daddy gets drunk very easily on top of…… *weep* Don’t…… Daddy, DON’T DIE!

"Don’t die! DADDY, DADDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

When I woke up, I was at Chartette’s home. I come here often, since my father visits the blacksmith regularly.

Chartette said that after I yelled, I fainted.

Her father offered me some soup but I declined. Food is scarce nowadays, keep this soup so you’ll have something to drink—— I told him. The father put his hand on my shoulder and quietly nodded his head; turned back to his workplace.

"The nearby residents found him this morning. His chest was stabbed…… Maybe someone……"

Chartette told me it in detail, but I didn’t listen to most of it.

Who? Who killed Daddy? No, Dad’s impossible to kill, because he’s more powerful than the prospective. Dad’s one of the “Three Heroes”, and he’s the Commander of the Guards. Dad’s isn’t possibly dead. However, it’s a fact that he was killed. Daddy was killed. But who? Who killed Daddy? Where did Dad go yesterday? He went to whom again?

That guy. Daddy went to that guy. Who’s that guy? Nothing but the Queen, the Daughter of Evil. She. She killed my father. Daughter of Evil, Riliane, is my Dad’s killer. That guy. That guy killed Daddy. SHE SHE SHE SHE SHE SHE SHE SHE SHE SHE KILLED DADDY.

But what will I do? How do I deal with her? How do I deal with my Dad’s killer? Kill her. Since she killed Daddy, I’ll kill her. Revenge. Right, I must get my revenge. To that guy. I must get revenge to the Daughter of Evil, revenge to Riliane. Revenge…… I WANT REVENGE!

Dad’s funeral was held in a cemetery on a hill. The Palace offered to give him a public funeral, but I refused.

Even so, there were many Royal people who attended the funeral day. The ones who were Dad’s subordinates cried, there were also ones who wailed angrily.

The other two of the “Three Heroes” also were on the field. Mariam saw my silence and held me in her arms. She didn’t cry, but her shoulders were shaking. Elluka, with a girl who seems to be her apprentice, also attended the funeral. I nodded my head to lightly regard a greeting. She went to the tomb and cursed “DIMWIT” then left.

Also attending the funeral, there seems to be a King from another family. Although I don’t know him, he should have been my father’s old acquaintance. This must be a secret between them. That person seems to be almost my age, a really young king. After the funeral, the blue-haired man quietly left

I vow to my father’s tomb.

Dad, it’s okay. I will certainly take my revenge, revenge for you.

No. This is not only for my father, but also for all the commoners of the country.

Even if the whole Royal Palace was my enemy, I will not back down.

If it’s in order to overthrow the Queen,

I will become evil for you.

CHAPTER 2

?Allen~Elphegort Kingdom’s “The Southern Region of the Capital City, Aceid”~

I felt my stomach somersault.

Sitting for six hours in the carriage from Lucifenia’s civilian street, we finally arrived at Elphegort’s capital, Aceid. At this time of the day, noon’s already long gone.

I’m already dizzy on the carriage. If this takes too long, I’m gonna get nauseous; the Lucifenia-Elphegort road was bumpy and we didn’t know how to fix it. Although the actual distance between the two countries is not really far away, we had to go around the Forest of Bewilderment in a large circle just to arrive in our destination.

Oh how I will love to burn that forest.

As I was thinking of such a thought, I couldn’t help but reveal a masochistic smile. Oh, this isn’t how Riliane practices it. I took a deep breath and turned my eyes to the window. Entering the city, the road wasn’t very bumpy. I saw pedestrians coming and going, but it only continued my nausea. I must hurry. When I arrive at my destination, I’ll have some afternoon tea…… 3PM at the Freesis mansion.

The Lucifenia famine was temporarily resolved by sudden food donations from Elphegort and Marlon.

Although I am greatly delighted that Lucifenia got assistance from other countries, the mood is still very complex.

I recalled last night.

——It would have been nice if they lent a helping hand sooner——

That’s why the two countries refused to offer long-term food aid. But the reason why they suddenly provided help…… Well, at least Marlon’s reason is obvious.

The Riliane - Marlon’s King Kyle marriage…… will be held a year from now.

This marriage had already been set up for a long time. I heard that before she died, our mother, the Former Queen Anne and Kyle’s mother, Queen Dowager Prim had made an appointment to make them marry when Riliane’s 15. She said that the two had already been best friends.

So you could say that this is Marlon’s way to enhance their status before the King’s marriage.

As for Elphegort’s reason for providing assistance, it’s unknown.

Not because I’m a servant means that I know nothing about politics. As a matter of fact, even the ministers can’t help but love my mind. Moreover, they suggested me to complete this demand.

"Show gratitude to the country, and be sure to offer the maids there to come over and serve for the Head of the Maids. You don’t need to trouble the Prime Minister or the Royal family."

It was originally Minis who had to visit the neighboring countries and show gratitude for our country, but Elphegort rejected. Not all of them rejected though, the other party accepted such a request.

After being tossed from person to person, this task fell on me. These days, Ney has been bedridden because of a flu, and Chartette…… Forget it. If she’s in another country, she’ll destroy every single artwork of the politicians; it might only give rise to international issues.

The point of this task is unclear; the designated place isn’t the Elphegort palace, but the giant mansion of Keel Freesis.

Keel’s influence is not only limited to Elphegort; even Lucifenian and Marlon merchants owned properties that he managed; he can be regarded as a “Business Leader”. The first time I saw him was in the previous ball; prior to that, I thought he was a strong-bodied man with a beard. But in fact, Keel has a slightly gentle face like of young men. Hanging on his nose were glasses that he’s famous for, so I couldn’t help but sigh that he really deserves to be a merchant with high popularity.

Today, I’m going to Keel’s residence; in fact, it isn’t about the Elphegort king who provided food for our country but him. Keel on several occasions provided domestic financial assistance for the construction of Lucifenia; I guess this behaviour is not really very stange but……

I shook my head; I shouldn’t think about this complicated questions. I’m not a politician nor a king, but just an ordinary servant. My mission is to complete this task, and nothing more.

Perhaps because noon has already passed, the Aceid market was full of people. For me, the most refreshing thing is the people’s hair color. No matter young or old, everyone’s hair is green, green, green.

However, not all of the hair colors are exactly the same; some of them are close to yellow-green and some are reddish, which is their way to differentiate them from each other. In general, all of them are green.

So I finally understood why they call this the “Green Country”.

My country Lucifenia is also nicknamed the “Yellow Country”. Although it should mean that we should have blonde hair(Yellow hair), not everyone of us does.

Same goes to the “Blue Country” Marlon; King Kyle has blue hair, but nearly all the guards have black and brown hair. I heard that it’s called “Blue Country” because it was an island surrounded by the sea.

(This way, I might not be able to fulfill Gumilia’s favor……)

I remembered something Elluka’s apprentice, Gumilia asked me to do out of town.

A few hours ago.

While I was preparing for my trip to Elphegort, a young girl appeared on the doorway.

The young girl silently regarded a greeting.

"Good morning. Uh, you’re Elluka-san’s apprentice…… Gumilia, right?"

"Yes."

“……”

“……”

"You want something from me?"

"Yes……"

"……"

"……"

She’s impassively silent…… I can’t stand it! Does she have something to say?

"…… First of all……"

After a moment of silence, Gumilia spoke.

"I’m older than you."

Indeed, I only knew that when she said it. She looks more like me when I was two years old.

"So, use honorifics. For anyone who’s older than you, use honorifics."

"…… I’m sorry. Really sorry, Gumilia-san."

I hurriedly gave a serious and authentic apology. How inattentive. She and the other younger servants treat me the same way. She is young, but sooner or later she’ll inherit Elluka’s role as Court Magician.

With Leonhart dead, Mariam is the only active member of “The Three Heroes”; with Elluka leaving. (Having said that, our country already had many years of fighting with other countries.) Gumilia is regarded as one of the “Next Three Heroes”.

"Yes, I’m older than you; Older than you by many, many years……"

Gumilia, a person I don’t know, muttered. Followed by:

"I have a request."

She suddenly changed the topic.

"You’re going to Elphegort, right?"

"Ah? Er, the Prime Minister ordered me to……"

"I want you to give this to my friend in Elphegort for me."

She said as she removed something from her sleeve.

"…… This is…… a Spring Onion?"

"Yes, a Spring Onion. A very amazing Spring Onion."

How the hell did that Spring Onion fit in your sleeves? But I better not ask her this question.

"Is that spring onion down there really that amazing?"

"In short, very amazing. Very, very, amazing.”

"……Riiiiight……”

"……"

"……"

No, ah, she keeps on waiting for me, but I simply cannot dialogue. It seems that only could take the initiative.

"And your friend is……"

"My friend? Oh, she has green hair. Like me, I have green hair too."

"……"

"She has beautiful green hair, more beautiful than anyone else’s"

At that moment, a noise came from far away.

"Gumilia~~~ Come to me~~~~"

It was Elluka’s voice.

"…… I have to go. In short, please give this."

Gumilia handed me the Spring Onion and left the servant room.

"Wait a minute! Just by relying with this……"

Hearing my cry, Gumilia said:

"Oh my friend’s named…… Michaela."

After leaving those words, she left the room.

I can’t take this discomfort anymore. I kindly requested the driver to stop, and then walked down the carrriage to take a break.

Being concerned of what I felt, the driver gave me some medicine, which I soon took. The driver said that he often encounters people getting dizzy on the carriage like me, so he always prepares some medicines just in case. After I listened to his advice, I was prepared to walk around and divert attention. Nevertheless, I still feel ashamed……

The central region of Aceid is more lively that the southern region we visited a while back, but the purpose of the people here don’t seem to be shopping; instead, there was a location in the streets where a lot of people clustered.

In curiousity, I went over the crowd.

”~~~?”

As I came closer, I heard a lithe and graceful song coming from inside. In the middle of the crowd, a girl was singing.

The people were reveled by her song; and some of them were shedding tears.

I don’t know why; when I listen to her singing, it made me feel very warm.

It reminded me of my mother singing a lullaby for me when I was little…… I can’t remember what it was, but with her voice, I seem to slightly regain a long-forgotten childhood memory; as well as my mother’s gentle smile.

The girl looks like my age, or is she older than me? Judging from her dress, she doesn’t seem to be an aristocrat, but just an ordinary citizen.

But…… her voice and appearance, are just as beautiful.

I have seen the aristocratic wife and all the ladies in the Palace, expecting them to have luxurious status; my impression on the maids that I worked with was that they were active and lively. However, this girl’s beauty is different from both of them. Not only on the outside but uhh…… how do you describe something this good? She is inclusive of everything tender; at the same time, she has a slim fragile glass-like sense; the coexistence of the two qualities are in her.

People say that her song is magic. There is an old legend about Sirens who use sweet singing to tempt fishermen and maim the story of their lives. A wonderful song to charm people.

Maybe, I’m, at this moment, in her magic.

I suddenly found out that my discomfort had disappeared.

After she finished the song, she slightly paid tribute to the crowd; followed by a turbulent flood of applause from the people.

"Wow~Great!"

"Really nice! Wonderfully incomparable!"

"You really deserve to be our Diva! Our Michaela!"

……Michaela?

The shy girl once again paid tribute to the people.

A teenager went to her side.

"Thank you, Michaela-nee!"

"It’s nothing. Don’t mention it …… So, how are you? Did I cheer you up yet?"

"Mhmmm! I’ll go to work now! Even if I’m just one person, I will not throw in the towel!”

The teenager said goodbye to the girl. After leaving, the other people went shopping; the workers went back to their jobs.

Knowing that the girl who was about to leave was named Michaela, I quickly ran and stopped her.

"E-Excuse me……"

"Cute foreign boy, do you need something from me?"

Michaela smiled sweetly and asked me.

When I heard the word “cute”, a sudden anger filled my heart; but when I looked at the girl closely again, the emotion flew with the wind.

Her beautiful green hair was really breathtaking. She must be Gumilia’s friend.

"Uh, uh…… Do you, by any chance, know a girl named Gumilia?"

Michaela’s face instantly burst out into a ray of light.

"Are you Gumilia’s friend?"

"I won’t say friends…… Well, I’m actually one of the Lucifenian palace servants…… and Gumilia’s at the palace too……"

"Is she having a hard time!? How’s Gumilia? Is she doing all right?"

Seeing Michaela made me very happy. Heck, her smile alone could make me feel happy.

"Well, she’s doing very good. She asked me to give you this thing."

I removed from the bag the Spring Onion Gumilia gave me. Having a Spring Onion inside for a long time, the bag smelled like Spring Onion.

"T-……This is a Spring Onion! …… And no, this is not just an ordinary Spring Onion! It is a 'very amazing Spring Onion'!”

Michaela took the Spring Onion, and she became more excited…… Is this stuff really that amazing?

"…… Is that Spring Onion really that amazing?"

“Thank you, it’s very amazing! Very, very, amazing!…… Ah, what’s your name?”

"My name is Allen."

"Thank you, Allen!"

Anyway, since I’ve completed the favor Gumilia entrusted me with, I could finally relax.

"My pleasure. For now, excuse me as I’ve got some business to attend to."

"Wait, Allen!"

Michaela stopped me as I was about to leave.

"I want to thank you; could you come over here and follow me?"

"…… Sorry, but the Queen sent me to go to the merchant Keel Freesis; I’m in a hurry."

After listening to me, Michaela immediately replied excitedly:

"……! Exactly! I’ll lead the way for you! I live at Mr. Keel Freesis’s house!"

Sitting in the carriage, Michaela and I went to the streets of the northern region. The driver said that the Freesis mansion is very close from here.

Thanks to Michaela’s guidelines, we found a shortcut, covering up the time delayed by our break in the central region. This way, we should be able to see Keel as scheduled.

On the way, Michaela and I talked a lot. Today, she went to the center of the city to buy soap.

"Miss Michaela, why did you sing there?"

"You saw the teenage boy at the Plaza, right? That child…… His parents died of illness, and thus he became unhappy. So I tried to encourage him with a song; I didn’t expect that everyone will gather over there……"

"You’re good at singing. Do you often sing in front of many people?"

"Well, not very often, but only occasionally…… really!"

"……! W-Why?"

"You’re really stereotypical~~~ watch your words!"

"Haha, sorry. I should use honorifics in the face of older persons."

"Oh~~Allen, how old are you?"

"I’m fourteen years old this year."

"Well… I’m…… s-sixteen years old! It’s just a thin two-years-difference! So don’t be so punctual, you know!"

Michaela said as she threw me a glad eye. “Don’t be so stereotypical”…… She also said that it’s her first time to meet Germaine. Now that father died, what will I do? My mind was suddenly filled with one year of not seeing my righteous sister.

"I understand, Ms. Michaela."

“……”

"I-I know, Michaela!"

I half-deprecatingly replied, but the answer didn’t seem to make her satisfied. With my conversation with Michaela, I found her face to be very rich, and never hides her feelings. Looking at this, I can’t help but think that although she and Gumilia are friends, their personalities are quite different.

Michaela said that she was born in a village near the Thousand-Year Tree’s forest, and later left the village and looked for a job with a friend; they didn’t find one. And while the two were still bewildered, Keel’s wife, Mrs. Freesis lent a helping hand, so they became the servants of the Lady.

"This country is very discriminate against other ethnic groups."

Michaela’s face was a little gloomy.

"I hang out with a friend…… named Clarise. She doesn’t look the same as the others…… Ever since childhood she had been bullied by others; when we came to Aceid, it was the same old way. Even if I was around, Clarise totally can’t find a job……"

Upon saying this, Michaela smiled; she revealed a very brilliant smile. She then continued:

"But, Mrs. Freesis took good care of us. I heard that they’re immigrants from the Marlon country."

Keel is a Marlon citizen? It’s the first time I heard that.

"Master said that he wasn’t comfortable of being an immigrant. Maybe because of this, he was very understanding and because Clarise also looked different from the others, he hired us."

After saying this, Michaela seemed to remember something she wanted to ask me.

"Allen is a servant in the Palace? The Royal Palace… The Great Lucifenian Palace must be a lot larger than Mr. Keel’s mansion; it must be hard cleaning up though."

Michaela sighed; still having a great time staring at my face.

"Well, busy is really busy, but my job is to serve the Queen. The work of cleaning and the like are not part of my work, so it’s not much hard work."

"Direct control under the Royal family! You’re so powerful!"

Michaela looked astonished. I was somewhat proud that she praised me.

"No, it’s troublesome actually…… The Queen’s aura is capricious and askance, and I have a colleague who breaks something everyday……"

We talked a lot on each other’s work.

The royal family and the wealthy merchant. We serve different masters but we’re both servants - that’s what I have common with her, which I don’t know why but I’m very delighted. She was willing to happily listen to my grievances, and I would be happy to hear her dissatisfactions and failures.

Her singing is so pure, as pleasant as mystical fairies, but after having this conversation with her, I found out that she’s such a lovely ordinary girl and so easy to get along.

We chatted and chatted and suddenly changed the topic. Awkward as it may seem, I pointed at Michaela’s chest and commended the flashing necklace along the road.

"That necklace suits you very well."

Her neck wore a necklace made out of shells. When I reached out and touched it, Michaela was a bit embarassed.

"Ah, this…… was a gift for me……"

Although I evaluated the necklace to “suit her very well”, my mind didn’t think the same way. Michaela is not suitable for wearing ornaments; extra accessories will only cover up her beauty. I really don’t know who this guy with bad taste is; even if I saw that necklace, I wouldn’t give it to her.

"Ah! I can already see the mansion."

Michaela said. As I looked ahead, I saw something much larger than the surrounding buildings: a mansion in the laps of luxury reflected into my eyes. Although the Royal Palace is better, Keel’s residence really deserved to be called gigantic, not in a small scale.

Can’t the carriage move a little slower?

I thought. I don’t know why but I wanna listen to her talk forever.

Keel was talking to another guest during the time delayed, so I went to the other room to wait.

The decor of the house was not as luxurious as I imagined it to be. Of course, compared to a civilian home, the home would look like a cloud of mud; but for this to be owned by a rich merchant in a famous country, the decorations of the house isn’t like how they spend money. Even if fine art and antiques are on display at his home, I’m still confused. I don’t know how much they cost, but I think it’s a substantial number at least.

I heard that many men in Marlon have a strong addiction for collecting. If this rumor is true, then maybe Keel really is an immigrant from Marlon.

I looked out the window; I saw two girls washing clothes by the pool.
In the dark room, two people had a confrontation.

One of them asked in surprise:

"W-Who are you?"

The next night.

I finally made my mind up and walked to the old well.

I’ll do this, I’ll betray her behavior.

Perhaps, then on, I’ll bear a heavy cross.

Her appearance emerged on my mind, but it immediately wiped out.

I really owe an apology to her.

I’m sorry, I’m sorry.

But, there’s no other way.

In any case, please forgive me.

Forgive the capricious me

UAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH……

In the courtyard, Riliane, Ney, and Chartette are enjoying a good afternoon.

Riliane mingling with these kind of ladies, who have significant differences with her, is rare.

"……Ah, Riliane, Your Highness, be sure to read this! This novel’s really a good read! And it’s very touching!"

Chartette highly recommended her favorite novel. That’s good; but I never expected her to actually read novels. During childhood, my first impression on her was a little girl who runs around actively everyday. She seems to have grown…… I guess?

"Oh~~~~ So that’s why you often leave the palace; just to buy books."

"B-But, Ney always runs out of the palace too!"

"I-I just…… meet with my friends……"

"Oh~~~~What kind of friends? Men?"

"T-That’s…… That’s not what I meant……"

The three people continued talking with smiling faces. Riliane, she’s just like an ordinary 14-year-old girl.

My innocent sister, why do you give out such cruel orders?

Far off, the large Levin Church bell rings. First ring, second ring, third ring……

“Oh, it’s snack time.”

I prepared snacks on the table.

"Today’s snack is brioche."

You smile. Such an innocent smile.

She also went to the base of the Resistance. She still wore her cloak to hide her identity. The information about the Palace that she has is very crucial for us. Though I met up with her at my own home, I’m gradually beginning to think that there will be some kind of danger because I told her the base’s location.

The presence of people telling the base about the palace…… this is tantamount to gambling. But as long as she keeps her word, it shouldn’t be a problem, right?

I didn’t tell her the exact material allocation, but I at least told her the address. And since her visit, the Resistance rarely has any problems; we’ve indeed undergone a change.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Someone knocked on the door.

That wasn’t the right number of knocks. That means the knocker’s not from the Resistance.

Everyone present…… even the cloaked woman…… picked up a weapon.

"Who is it~~"

Near the door, York cried to the doorway.

"……Please open the door; I’m here to help you."

A voice that of a young man sounded.

"Help~~? What are you talking about; I don’t understand~~Don’t you think you’re telling this to the wrong door?"

"……No, open the door! I’m here to help the Resitance!"

The man outside raised his voice. And I strengthened my clutch on my sword.

Another person aside from the Resistance——who could it be?

"What are we going to do, Germaine?"

York asked.

"I’m a bit concerned about it. Minage, could you take a look outside?"

Minage pryed from the holes on the wall and looked outside.

"…… No, it’s not a Lucifenian soldier; he’s not dressed like one. Moreover, he’s only one person."

There’s only one person at the other side. And we, including myself, are six people.

"…… Well, let’s open the door first. If it’s the enemy, then don’t hesitate to get rid of them."

"…… OK, come in."

York opened the door.

And there stood a man wearing a mask.

His right hand, covered with blood, grasped a shell necklace.

It was a beautiful moonlit night.

The Hall of Mirrors was in chaos.

The ladies moaned.

The other aristocrats were stunned.

The people made a circle at the center of the room.

At the very center, was a man on a pool of blood.

His name was Minis Stoup

The country’s prime minister.

"It seems that he miraculously managed to make a narrow escape."

One of the ministers sighed.

"I never thought that something like this could even happen at the ball."

"How could’ve the thief easily sneak into it……"

"Why aren’t soldiers doing something about this!?!?"

"There’s not enough manpower…… The number of soldiers……"

"We should make the stationed soldiers in Elphegort come back home."

"What nonsense! They’re still having a bitter fight."

People in the room naturally began to argue. However, their voices reveal that they’re tired.

At the corridor, the three of us overheard everything.

"This has become such a big issue."

"Chartette…… It’s getting overcrowded here…… Move to the right a little……"

"Hey! Ney! Your arm touched my boobs. You pervert!"

"I didn’t want to touch your flat chest! I just wanted you to go to the right, okay!"

"Both of you, quiet!"

The ones in the meeting were only Riliane and the other ministers; nobody else was allowed to enter.

Yesterday, at the ball, the prime minister Minis was attacked; although he managed to have a narrow escape, he was seriously injured; hence, he didn’t attend the meeting. Although the prisoners were immediately killed by the pro-guards, the mere fact that the Palace actually had an assasin that sneaked into it — is insane.

The Elphegort war continues. Riliane’s objective was achieved, the ministers propose to take the opportunity and have full control of Elphegort in one fell swoop.

What really concerns me is the headquarters of the Levin religion in the north of Elphegort: the existence of Divine Levianta. Levianta is Elphegort’s ally; people once feared that they will join forces with Elphegort. In fact, Levianta was persuaded by Elphegort to be an instrument to cease the attacks, but Riliane tore them apart. Levianta wasn’t destroyed due to their precept: “The army could only be used to defend ourselves”, and not send Elphegort reinforcements.

The small country had no choice but to follow the decision of the powerful Levianta; so Elphegort is in a helpless situation.

However, the remnants of the military resistance for Elphegort’s Royal family are much more tenacious than expected, and now, it’s getting imminent. The ones who guard Lucifenia from being attacked by other countries: armies from the southern Retasan Fortress, the northern Babul Desert, and even other armies in the Palace are very weak.

The Marlon family kept silent during the war. Neither Elphegort nor alliance with the Lucifenian reinforcements; I don’t know what their intention is…… However, taking into account the cause of the war, I guess they really can’t just act rashly.

The meeting continues.

"In short, we must not let such thing happen again. We must strengthen the garrison!"

"But what about the shortage of troops!"

"How are we gonna handle this situation……"

A condition overthrows another condition. In any case, it’s obviously not the best of both worlds.

"I remember…… Allen mentioned something about mercenaries we could hire……"

Riliane said.

"You mean Gast Venom? However, hiring mercenaries only……"

"Wait! Gast Venom’s mercenary group is also nearby…… Interesting! If those troops would be enough……"

"I object! Those guys really have the strength, but they have long been notorious. How could we let those kind of people enter our palace……"

After that, the meeting continued. But in the end, they decided to hire the Mercenary group. A drastic measure. This is the current status quo.

“Germaine, how is it? Want another drink?”

I refused York’s urge for me to drink.

Since the day father was killed, I finally got the chance to taste wonderful tasting wine. I once was so fond of wine; every day, I would get a hangover and become a speechless drunk.

I don’t know whether I will be able to drink delicious tasting wine until that day comes.

“You have been drinking less. Previously, you can drink 20 shots but now you can’t even drink 10 shots?”

"…I think you’ve drunk too much."

By my side, a white-haired girl staring at me interrupted.

"Really? Does Clarith want a glass too?"

"No York, I’m just here to report"

The girl named Clarith said and stepped back. Well, I think we should not let her drink too much for her own good. Previously, she tried to drink and ended up drunk. She was laughing and crying on while moving about. My father, too, would also cry when drunk.

“Keel-san also decided to help our resistance movement”

Business magnate Keel Freesis, he was released from the palace with his family from being imprisoned. Although he’s Elphegort house was burned, it seems that all of his property was successfully transferred.

Clarith was the maid of Keel Freesis’s wife. Keel managed to get in contact with her and today, we finally agreed to give us materials for the resistance.

“I have to thank that “cloaked woman”

York muttered.

Lucky enough we were able to contact Keel. And that York called over that “cloaked woman”… Keel was placed under house arrest; she made contact with him, and thanks to her, we don’t have to be worried about material problems.

“Clarith, I always wanted to ask… do you want to participate in the resistance movement?”

“…….”

I invited her, Clarith just hung her head in silence.

“…I…”

“… I have a friend who killed my most important friend, that evil girl killed. I hate her. I hate the daughter of evil. Hate to the degree of killing her but… I’m just a weak person. Germaine, not only are you powerful, but also have the courage to challenge the ones in power. I’m just a weak person, so… I’m sorry”

Clarith slowly and quietly said. Tears flowed from her eyes.

“… I understand. Never mind, I owe you an apology. What I said was reckless”

“… No”

“Clarith, what do you plan on doing?” Clarith replied head down.

“I want to find a quiet place alone to live in. Keel-san also gave me a place to work”

“Yes… I hope you stay safe”

“Thank you. Germaine… I pray for your revolution”

After giving a stiff smile, Clarith left the bar.

I can’t blame her. Everyone has their own place.

"G-Guests, that won’t work!"

Suddenly, a cry was heard coming from the store owner. It seems to be coming from inside the store, looks like there is a little conflict.

“Why? It’s so difficult to drink alcohol and you intend to get my money?”

“Difficult to drink……? You drink too much!”

Seems to be two guests – a bearded man and a thin man – want to repudiate their wine account. The two men are dressed in magnificent armour, soldiers of the palace?

“Listen well, we are have been protecting since this country’s grandpa! And yet, you want me to give you money… Are you not too shameless?

The Bearded man said proudly.

“As my brother said, you should understand our situation and let us drink for free for the days to come.

The thin man added, smirking.

“The soldiers of the palace are not behaving well”

I muttered. York had a calm face.

“If it is a former Royal Palace soldiers…”

I interjected:

“Lucifenian soldiers, although some are despicable… but all of them must comply with some minimum etiquette. The two them are not soldiers of the palace, but from a group of mercenaries”

“Mercenary… from the Venom Mercenary Group. The report also mentioned them”

—-THUMP—-

A blunt sound was heard for a moment. The owner was crouched down clutching his stomach.

The bearded man seems to have kicked him. “Let’s go, Zasuko!”

“I understand brother”

The two men satisfied with their drink, made a disgusting smile, ready to walk away.

“…Those Guys!”

York could not help but want to stop them, but I stopped him.

“Calm down York. Although they are not from the regular army, with all of the people in the palace, it’s best not to get into conflict with them”

“But… Germaine…”

“Now, let us be patient… for the time being”

“…”

“We have to go”

“Abhorrent”

Shaking while clenching his fist, York became extremely angry.

Fortunately, the owner did not suffer any injuries. We paid for our drinks and left the bar.

There is a collection of soldiers outside the palace.

Gast has been surrounded by three soldier. They seem to be venting their anger for Gast Venom:

“I never liked you mercenaries!”

“Because of you mercenaries, our reputation as palace soldiers plummeted”

“Since you are the leader, you have to take responsibility!”

It is true that because of the mercenaries, the city is now in chaos.

Theft, rape, murder… they do whatever they want through the authority of the palace.

“Though we are a mercenary group, we are not really a group”

Gast replied with a look of frustration.

“We just stick together for money, looking for employers. What the others do is not my responsibility”

However, the soldier’s anger did not subside. Upon hearing this, one of the soldiers even flushed and shivered.

Gast continued:

“… Moreover, I heard from the mouth of a mercenary that there are disturbing trends. The people seem to look at it as a big deal. I’d be more alert if I were you”

“We did not receive a report in this regard! And you don’t take any credit at all!”

“… Oh my, it seems the great Lucifenian Army is just a name. It would appear that Lucifenia’s days are now numbered”

“You, damn you~~! I dare you say it again!”

One of the soldiers pulled out a sword. This is bad, if this is not stopped……!

—-Boom—-

…Suddenly, the sword of the soldier dropped.

What was that? Just what happened?

“Haha. HAHAHAHAHA!!”

In the frightened eyes of the two other soldiers, Gast turned and left.

The base built for the resistance movement.

Today is the last time we will use it.

I knocked on the door in accordance to the code we use.

“Who are you?”

A voice from inside

“Germaine Avadonia”

The door opened slightly. York took a glimpse first to confirm before opening the door.

“Thanks for hard work, York”

“Well, everyone is here. How about it? Want a drink?”

“……Let’s not talk about it. Wait until we have finished everything”

Besides me, there are five other men and women.  York, Minage, Sekka, and Mark, as well as … a blue haired, masked man.

“Let’s make our final confirmation. Firstly, the number of people”

Minage replied:

“We built-up a large amount of people; Not just from Lucifenia but also from Elphegort. And… soldiers from the masked man”

“That is the question”

York interrupted.

“Hey, masked man! Can we really trust you? Not only are you guys outsiders, you’re all armed with elite swords! And also that mask of yours; a suspicious guy like you joining this operation is not reassuring”

The masked man looked at York and quietly replied:

“…… Is there a problem? We have the same interest of overthrowing the royal palace, is it not?”

“I can’t believe what you say!”

“Hmph. Stubborn man”

“…… This guy!”

“Both of you! Shut up!”

Seeing the two men fight, Sekka was quick to stop them.

This masked man… It seems I’m vaguely of him. I’m afraid I’ve seen him before. According to the intelligence given by the cloaked woman… we have to correspond with each other; I understand his motive for his participation in the resistance movement and about why he hides his true identity with a mask.

His aim… just like mine… is revenge.

“Germaine! Isn’t this a problem? Are you not discontented with this guy?”

I can’t keep up with this. York pointed his finger at me.

“Yes… I don’t have any special discontent. It’s hard to say…”

I approached the masked man. Gently touching his mask.

“This mask and your face are not proportional, Mr masked man”

After hearing this, he stepped back with a surprised face:

“…… You found out? You discovered my identity?”

“Probably, but never mind. Whatever your purpose is, for as long as you are helping us, is not a bad thing. York, do you understand?”

“Well, if Germaine says so, then I’ll forget about it”

York had an unconvinced face, but he accepted it.

“Ah, right. At least tell us your name. We can’t just call you “masked man””

“…… Please call me Kachess”

“Is that your real name? Never mind…… Back to the topic. How about our materials?”

Sekka stretched her side(?) then said:

“Keel Freesis has given us a lot of things. All of the members of the revolutionary army has been given a weapon. But…”

Suddenly, a knock on the door.

“It’s me. Open the door”

York opened the door. It was the blacksmith who housed our materials.

“It is done; the weapons and armour you need”

We took the prop from his hand.

“This… This is great”

The masked man… Kachess gave a sigh.

This blacksmith was the one responsible for making the weapons of the three great heroes. He expresses his hope by dedicating himself to forging weapons for the revolutionary army.

I took the weapons from his hands. One was a small decorative sword, at a glance; I knew it was much sharper to date. The other one was armour. The chest and shoulder part had bright red lion decorated patterns. This is……

“I processed LeonHart’s armour to your fitting. His sword is too heavy for a girl so I replaced it with a lighter one and I placed his swords heraldry to your amour near your neck. Is it too much?”

“… No. Thank you, old man. I am very pleased”

I hold tight unto the red armour. Father, we will always be together.

“Oh right”

The old man brought out a large object wrapped with cloth. He untied the cloth.

“Hey old man! What is it?”

Mark shouted. It was very large and rugged sword.

“This is a ridiculously large sword, even York can’t use it. Did you get the wrong model?”

“This is not for you… at least not today. Germaine, I will give it to you in the future… That’s about it, I pray for your victory”

The old man headed for the door. I stopped him:

“Hold on old man! — The child, can I really?”

“—- A-Ah, I’ve already made up my mind”

The old man looked around the room, and then nodded with satisfaction then he left.

We are now complete and ready. Next is… I’m a little concerned about some things.

“York, I asked you before, about Allen…”

“Ah, your righteous brother?”

“Is there no way to bring him out of the royal palace? I really don’t want him to get involved in this”

York gave a little consideration but he somewhat regrets it:

“… No, I can’t. Intelligence should not be leaked to the royal palace”

“Allen’s strong sense of justice will surely help us…”

“According to the report… The intelligence given to use by the cloaked woman is that the relationship between Allen and the princess is very intimate. Moreover, Allen and the princess, being identical, and are man and woman of the same age, is impossible to separate”

“Allen and that “Daughter of Evil”……?! Even though he knows father’s situation, but still… Why is that?”

No, think about it, Allen wouldn’t lose to anyone even to father’s sword. If that’s the case, he should be able to escape the palace on his own right? I will choose to believe in him.

Clang… Clang… Clang…

The bell rang three times. It’s snack time.

Recently, it’s getting dark very early. Although it’s just three in the afternoon, I can already see the sunset.

It looks like a brightly red sunset that links day and night closely together.

“The sky is foretelling an apocalypse”

Riliane said while eating some cake

(Allen, I’ll tell you one thing about this country… Lucifenia will soon perish.)

I suddenly remembered what Elluka said to me before she left.

Gears begin to spin… she said. In other words, this fate cannot be changed?

I don’t know what is right, what is wrong anymore.

Because of my twin sister, countless people have lost their lives.

The war continues; the country has become increasingly barren.

Is this the day of retribution?

However, even so, I promise to protect this land. I will protect my poor, lonely sister.

………Eh?

Alone? Is she?

Or……… is it me?

We were at the usual bar.

But we didn’t come here to drink.

Compared to the previous days, the bar is livelier today

Two men opened the door and walked in. It was Yarera and Zasuko, the two previous mercenaries. With a despicable smile on their face, they walked in and took a sit.

“Hey! We came back…… Why, there are a lot of people today. Hello to all~ Zasuko, let’s drink!

“Yes, big brother…… Hey lady! Serve us some wine!”

Watching the two men, the bar waitress hurried and served them wine.

Soon, the two became drunk and had no scruple.

Zasuko began to touch the body of the bar waitress.

“Hey sister, you’ve got a great ass. I like it”

“Please… Please stop it”

The waitress was trembling.

“Please stop you say? Then you should say “Please torment me more” better! Ha ha ha ha”

Yarera laughed out loud. The poor girl could only curl up into a ball.

Zasuko moves his hand closer to her chest—-

“Y-You guys… WHAT ARE YOU DOING!”

York did not hesitate to punch his face.

“Shi-SHIT!”

Yarera stood up, and I immediately grabbed the nearest wine bottle and threw it at him.

The wine bottle hit his forehead.

I went to the fallen mercenary and stepped on his stomach.

“Ugh! You brat! Don’t think you would be able to get away so easily…”

Bang

I ignored him, clenched my fist and punched him with my iron gauntlet.

His face got swollen then he cried and pleaded:

“Please, Please stop…”

“Please stop you say? This time you should say “Please torment more”!”

Bang! Bang! Clang!

I continued to beat him up.

“Hey! Let go of my brother!”

I didn’t notice that Zasuko went out and searched for help. There were a total of six people including himself; all mercenaries.

“I refuse”

I turned a deaf ear and continued to beat up Yarera.

“Shit! We have six people and you’re only two. You don’t stand a chance!”

Zasuko cried.

I stood up and looked at the mercenary:

“We are not only two people!”

When I said that, all of the people in the bar stood up; the mercenaries were surrounded.

“How, How is it…”

“Everyone here is our companion”

Minage was outside the bar with countless of people. The people gone out of the bar.

“What are we going to do with these guys?”

Mark pointed out to tie them up.

“Tie them up and toss into the river”

I stood up before the crowd and raised my sword.

Sounds of cheering were heard.

“My comrades, the time has come!”

As I cried, more cheers was heard

“We have been oppressed by the nobles! We have been trampled on by the Queen! However, those days will now end! Today is the end of it, and the start of a new beginning! YOU ALL! DO YOU ALL HAVE THE COURAGE TO DO IT?”

“OH!”

“Your shield, why do you wield it?!”

“In order to protect our family!”

“Your armour, why do you wear it?!”

“To protect the peace of our country!”

“Your sword, why do you swing it?!”

“In order to crusade against the evil princess!”

“Right on! Comrades! Let us start our revolution!”

“Ooooooooohhhhhh!!!”

Loud unmatched cheers.

And then…

The revolution began.

Something bad is happening.

The palace fell into chaos.

“Who are the people attacking?!”

“Roald(?) and Luo Lamu(?), the two cities are fighting(?)! The Revolutionary Army seems to be formed by the poor class citizens as their core.

“The leader seems to be a female swordsman with red armour! We don’t know who it is yet!”

“The Lucifenian guards are struggling in battle against the Luo Lamu(?)! Requesting reinforcement!”

The ministers and members of the royal palace were plunged into chaos. It’s not surprising. Most of them served under Queen Anne’s Regime… which was the most powerful in the country. They have been accustomed of attacking other countries, but have no experience when defending.

I was eavesdropping on the hall of sounds and overheard everything as it progressed.

“What are you doing, Allen?”

I looked back and saw standing behind me was Prime Minister Minis.

“You have some nerve to eavesdrop. If you weren’t of royal blood, I would have dragged you to the guillotine and have you beheaded”

“I’m sorry for my rudeness… are you alright?”

“…… Hmm”

Minis ignored my question, and went straight for the in the Hall of Sounds. His pace was stiff and he looked pale, but it seems he’s alright. But—

“Calm down! Really, panicking will do us no good”

Minis thundered the room and it suddenly became quiet.

“I find this hardly a problem. It’s really not a big deal. The revolutionary army is composed of peasants; the middle and upper classes is something we be worried about… But the number of soldiers on our side gives us an overwhelming advantage! The mercenaries are defending against Roald(?) and the Lou Lamu(?) can just be handled by the soldiers. In addition, the soldiers that attacked Elphegort are coming back! As long as they hurry, this level of emergency is not to be feared of”

Minis gave clear instructions so that we can recover; we just have to act in accordance of his instructions.

I stood at the door and stared. Minis glanced at my direction.

“……Hmm”

He again ignored me and returned to the room.

Now that I think about it, but it’s kinda silly. Minis is indeed one of the oldest ministers since King Arth’s era. He is indeed worthy of being called a veteran.

“Is the meeting finished yet?”

Riliane yawned.

“Allen, what’s for today’s snack?”

The riots lasted for a week.

Though the revolution was soon suppressed as Minis expected.

“Why! Why hasn’t the soldiers from Elphegort returned yet?”

"The retreating soldiers from Elphegort, is being atacked by locals!"

“That degree of harassment should be easily disposed of!”

“It’s terrible! Rollam merchants also participated in the revolutionary army”

“What did you say… This cannot be… Keel Freesis is the leader! Immediately locate and arrest Keel Freesis! This will never be forgiven! Once he is arrested, he will immediately be put to death!”

“We are also struggling against Rolled!”

“Rolled—shouldn’t the mercenaries be handling them?! We gave them a large amount of money, and they can’t even do that!”

“But we, after all, are outnumbered…”

“…… No way. Emergency recall for those who are stationed in the south and east, Retasan Fortress and Babul Desert zone! Do it immediately! Also… By the way, Marlon! Immediately send a messenger to Marlon! Request reinforcements! We assisted Marlon before with lots of money; with the current situation… we must at least give it a shot!”

Minis could not hide his anxiety. That command felt like a prayer.

“If you tell Kyle’s brother, he will immediately help us. Big brother will not abandon me, so rest assured”

Contrary to the pale Minis, Riliane was smiling.

A bell was heard from a distance. I quickly approached her.

“Your Royal Highness Riliane, Our snack for today is…”

“Eh? Ah, right. It seems I don’t have an appetite. I will not eat today”

A week later

“Luo Lamu has fallen! Keel Freesis have fled abroad!”

“The Elphegort army is now working with the revolutionary army! There’s no way for them to came back!”

“Retasan Fortress and Babul Desert zone, there was a night raid on their return trip… It’s a heavy loss!”

“Report! In Rolled, unidentified army corp take part with the Revolutionary Army! Like the troupe attacked Retasan and Babul’s soldiers! Mercenary army, near the collapse state!!”

“Marlon! Where’s Marlon’s reply?!”

“The messenger just got back… saying Marlon has refused to send troops”

“Aaaaaaahhhh!”

Minis paled and went out of the Hall of Sounds. He was on the verge of collapsing.

“Kyle-nii-sama…… Why…”

Riliane’s hands were trembling .          

Another Week

“Rolled Mercenary army, completely defeated! Gast—The Mercenary group is retreating to the palace!”

“The revolution army is approaching the palace!”

“Gather all the remaining soldiers to the royal palace! Discuss a plan to stop them!”

“Waldron, Preynat, both ministers fled out of the country! Other nobles, one by one, are trying to escape too!”

“The soldiers have begun to surrender and escape! We are pretty much…”

“Woo… Uh wow, ah ah ah!”

Hearing the flood of bad news, Minis couldn’t help but wail.

“I don’t know what to do… Father… What should I do…”

“Come back to your senses! Prime Minister Minis! Your father is already dead…”

“Of course I am aware of such a thing ah ah ah ah ah!”

The other ministers tried to remind him while Minis was shouting.

Riliane has already left the Hall of Sounds.

Finally, we have finally arrived here.

In front of the palace, the Lucifenian army has been overthrown by the revolutionary army and we have now reached the main gate.

The road was so far, it was absolutely hard. Numerous companions were injured and some fell.

“Finally, the palace is captured, everything is over!”

Kachess said who was beside me. His left wrist was wounded.

“Yes, but time is running out. We must hurry before the army returning from Elphegort comes back”

For now, Minage is leading the Elphegort people in readying the exhumation of the Lucifenian army. They must soon be put to sleep.

In fact, we were walking on thin ice. If there were any error on our gear, we would have been wiped out. This is how we fought.

“We were lucky Marlon did not send any reinforcements”

I deliberately let my voice be heard by Kachess:

“…… You guys are really bad”

Kachess pressed and held his injured left wrist.

“Are you alright?”

“Ah, not to the point of not being able to fight… But the Venom Mercenary group were unexpectedly strong, especially the leader- Gast Venom was almost like a monster”

Me, York and Sekka fought the Rollam. Although Sekka had serious injuries, but with the help of the middle class, led by a merchant, we were able to win.

Rolde was led by Kachess and his masquerade corps was led by Mark fought against the mercenary group. They won when Venom fled, however……

“Mark… I’m very sorry”

Kachess lowered his head to me.

“You do not need to apologize. It is war after all”

“Gast Venom…… was insanely strong. If it weren’t for Mark’s suicide, I wouldn’t be here”

Mark blocked Venom’s sword but got stabbed afterwards. As a son of a clergyman, he gave up his life and gave more priority to others. He was such a gentleman.

“That guy…… Gast is in the palace. He is already injured after fighting with me and Mark. However, Germaine, you must still be careful. It is best not to cross swords with him”

At this time, York came through the crowd

“Germaine, we have finished collecting everybody”

“York, how is Sekka?”

“Her life is saved… but she can’t fight anymore, so I’m bringing her home”

“York… I’m sorry. Your important, only daughter …”

“Do not worry about her. When she participated in this resistance, she was considering the possibilities. It’s my responsibility to stop such things… Come now, overthrow the daughter of evil. Whether cry or laugh, let leave it later!”

I stood in front of the Revolutionary Army.

Ooo———-h!

Let’s go, Germaine!Only a little more!

Let’s scatter the Flower of Evil???!

Come on, you guys.

Let’s go, everyone. This is the final battle.

I raised my sword.

“……… It started”

Hearing the noises outside, Mariam whispered.

Only two people were in the servant room, me and Mariam. The other servants have already escaped. Ney and Chartette too.

“That brat Ney, leaving without even telling me… Sure enough we have a mother and daughter relation, in all aspects”

“……”

“Go, Allen. While you still have the chance. This is your only chance to escape”

“Like I said last time, although I said it to Elluka… I will protect Riliane”

Mariam sighed.

“Lady Mariam… what do you intend to do?”

“I will fight till the last minute….I don’t have intention to die, I want to test my limit(?)”

…..????????????????????????????????”

Miriam grabbed something from the shelf, somewhat like a knife.

“I will let them see… The ambition of the three heroes. Goodbye Allen… Prince Alexiel. If we two alive, let’s meet again”

Mariam left the room.

“Mariam… a harsh but gentle person. If mother would still be alive, would she also be like her?”

“Are you still alive, Allen?

Next to enter the servants room was Gast.

“We lost the fight”

Gast said while looking out the window.

What does he want to say?

“I have received your favor so much. I came to say a Farewell”

“…… Do you intend to escape?”

“Don’t put on the sad face. I was originally a mercenary. I have no obligation to this country. Please convey to the princess that I do not need the money anymore”

I come up with a bag full of gold coins from the shelf and gave it to Gast. This was the money I earned from working in the palace.

"….What’s your plan? with this"

“I will use these to hire you again. Please protect the palace… Protect princess Riliane until the last minute!”

“Did you not understand what I said? I don’t want money. Particularly, a servant like you, why go so far as to…”

“The princess is… Riliane is my twin sister”

A long silence.

Gast looked at my face… No, he looked at my eyes, as if he saw something from my eyes.

He’s not taking his eyes off. I don’t know why but I’m also staring at Gast’s eyes.

“…… Hmm, HAHAHA, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!”

Suddenly, Gast started laughing. Is something wrong?

(?)“HA HA HA, right, a twin sister? You, for your sister, the daughter of evil, also sold your soul to the Asmodin demon? You guys are downright evil. But in my opinion, the revolution was caused by the princess herself! HA HA HA!”(?)

“… Yes, I am the evil person. Maybe. The Royal Palace was overrun; it can also be said as retribution from god. However, even if this is retribution, it will not let it happen!”

Gast laughed. After a while, he returned to normal and said:

“Very well, I change my mind. From now on, you are my employer and I will fight for you and the princess… Anyway, I’m looking for a suitable manner of death. A knight dies while protecting the princess… Fair enough”

Gast pulled out his sword and confirmed its condition then sheathed it.

“Good bye, catch you later, Servant of Evil”

“… Thank you very much”

Gast looked at my eyes again then turned around.

“Hey, you were just like the old me”

He slowly moved towards the door, then he murmured.

“You are the same as me…. evil”

Through the main gate was a wide courtyard.

Columns of water gushing from a huge fountain. Heroic Statues for commemoration. All of this luxury is a symbol for prosperity of the kingdom.

In this place called the “Heavenly Yard” is where the last resistance of the palace soldiers remain.

“Lucifenian soldiers! It is hopeless! Surrender now and we will spare your life!”

“Shut up! You usurper!”

"Lucifenian Chivalry Spirit, even it’ll burn in those eye!”

They turned a deaf ear to my advice. Why? Are the nobles really that worth for your devotion and loyalty?

We are at an advantage when it comes to numbers. But in this narrow space, we cannot give our full strength. So…

“Assume Raid Position!”

The revolutionary army, from the array position, changed to the form projecting the middle army. Overconcentrated, make a ring around Chivality’s camp.

?????????????????????????????????????????????

“Go forth! Attack!”

Enemies and comrades alike are risking their lives. The defending soldiers collapsed under the attack. This is our chance! As long as we can break through…

“Woow!”

Suddenly, the front line soldiers fell. Not one, but two, three, four… people fell one by one.

“I’m sorry, I can’t let you through here”

A woman was standing there. I wasn’t a knight. She was wearing… a maid uniform?

“Hey!”

The revolution army was overwhelmed by women wearing maid outfits. Also… there’s a strong woman, who had an elegant posture and defeated the men one by one.

Her way of holding those two knives, were like magic or was gracefully dancing. No, the knives didn’t leave her hand, it depended on her too quick action, can easily see.

Be it on the head or the abdomen, the knife would accurately hit its target, accompanied by a spray of blood. The red blood tainting he body made her look like a devil. The devil softly said:

“Women are very strong individuals. You too, Germaine”

I knew it. Why did I forget about her existence? Because father and Elluka are gone, the only one left is…

“I am one of the three heroes, Mariam Futapie! Lucifenian soldiers! Show me your loyalty!”

Because of Mariam’s overwhelming force and her title as the “Three Heroes” inspired morale to the soldiers that collapsed. As I thought, these soldiers are very loyal to the “Three Heroes”.

Not good. Our chance to break through the heavenly yard…

Suddenly…

—BOOM—

Thud, Lucifenian soldiers were sent flying. This surely an explosion…. this scenery.

—BOOM! BOOM!—

The soldiers were blown up one by one, and then fell to the ground. How? What’s happening?

At the centre, a cloaked woman was holding a huge sword. Yes, she is the one who gave us intelligence on the palace…

“York! What’s the matter? Why did she appear here…”

“I tried to stop her… But she didn’t listen. Just like my daughter”

Although my father said that she has made up her mind before, but I do not intend for her to fight. She is fully an amateur so I thought she wouldn’t survive in a battle field.

However, it seems I do not have to worry. She waves her large sword with incredible force and sent the enemy flying one by one, like a tornado.

She looked at me then pointed at the palace. Does she mean for me to take the opportunity and break through?

“Let’s go, Germaine, just leave her to deal with them”

Kachess said as he fled from the enemies.

Mariam wanted to stop us. However, in an instant, a huge sword was about to hit her.

“Kyyaaa!!”

She quickly evaded side wards. Kachess’s army took the opportunity to break through the enemy line and into the palace.

I closely followed Kachess from behind. He himself led us so we can break through. We took advantage as the kid took on Mariam.

“Assault the palace! Seize the opportunity!”

“You… Who are you!”

Mariam cried while wielding two knives that hit the cloaked woman. This is bad.

“Yaaahh!!”

It seems to be a close call and was able to evade. But the cloak was torn apart. Subsequently, she took off the tattered cloak.

Mariam’s face changed when she saw her face.

“How… Why…  did you participate in the revolutionary army!”

This time, we have successfully broken through. I only glanced back at the confrontation between the two.

Mariam’s face looked really awkward.

“Why, this is… God, you reall…”

God… If He exist, then I have to pray. Pray for my childhood success!(?) (?????????????!)

“……This is a duel between maids! A showdown!”

Please. Please live, Chartette Langley!

What can I do?

Mariam and Gast are fighting against the revolutionary army.

It’s not that bad. But I have other things to do.

The only thing I can do is…

I run in the corridors.

In order to find Riliane.

The Hall of Mirrors. The inside is decorated with a variety of luxury and gorgeous jewelry. This is the symbol of the daughter of evil’s glory.

“Let’s split up”

I suggested to Kachess. His team is responsible for the rehabilitation, blocking the escape routes of soldiers and retainers. I am responsible for the break through; looking for the daughter of evil… Riliane.

“Thanks to Chartette, I know the topography of the palace”

“Yeah. However… For you, this is your first time entering it?”

Kachess did not seem to hear me because he was looking around.

“Germaine, after all of this has ended, do you have any plans?”

“Well, I would… like to see your face”

“I will consider it… Don’t die, Germaine”

“You too”

Kachess made a gesture then led his team to leave.

Riliane isn’t in the Hall of Mirrors. If I consider her position… In the Hall of Sounds? Or in her private room?

I’ll go look at the Hall of Sounds. I’m going to lead my team—

“Oh… So you’re finally able to enter the palace”

We were confronted by a man with a weird shaped sword.

He had a beautiful face and long purple hair of that of a woman… Just like the characteristics Kachess described to me. It seems we have encountered a difficult opponent.

“Gast Venom”

“Oh, for a beautiful woman to know my name, I am deeply honoured”

“I will make you pay for what you did to Mark!”

“Mark? Oh, sorry, I don’t remember the names of people who were killed by my hands”

Have I already been accustomed to fighting, or I’m experiencing him, i fell calm and composed.

“Opposite against this many people, you seem like want to fight alone.”

Me and my soldiers clenched our swords.

“Ah… It’s not possible! You might break a few of my bones. So, I’ll be borrowing their strength”

Gast waved his hand and suddenly, much knights jumped out of the rooms. I was careless. We were surrounded by knights.

More over, they… those same red armour, same acquainted faces. They must be father’s men.

“They are the strongest knights of this country… the Royal Family’s Royal Guard. Can your team, which is made up of locals, beat them? Ha ha ha ha!”

Gast smiled.

“I’m sorry, miss Germaine. I do not expect to cross swords with you someday…”

If it’s possible, I don’t want to meet their blades. Because they are like my daughters or sisters. However, after I saw the knights in the Heavenly Yard, I already understand that it is an impossible desire. Fight to the last minute, devot to loyalty is their responsibility.

“Come on, everybody!”

We were leaping on Gast, and the Royal guards.

Riliane stayed in her room.

She was sitting on a chair and eating snacks.

“Is the taste appropriate, Princess Riliane?”

I asked her.

“It’s a little too sweet. I want brioche or something less sweeter”

I ate some brioche at Keel’s mansion and it was delicious. It must meet Riliane’s taste. Although I would like to ask how they make it, but now it’s impossible.

“Will… I get killed?”

Riliane stopped eating then asked. It sounded very weak, as if though she would cry at any moment from trembling.

“This… I do not know”

“But… I will be sentenced when I’m captured. I have done a lot of awful things… the people will never forgive me”

Riliane continued eating. But her hand was shaking too much, she accidentally dropped her fork.

“Allen…  can you… hold my hand?”

I used both my hands to hold Riliane’s hand.

“I don’t know why, but when you hold my hand, I feel at ease”

Riliane’s hand no longer trembled.

“Allen… I always wanted to be like my mother. A gentle and noble mother”

“……”

“My mother never showed her weak side in front of others. When father died, she was able to hold the entire country; she forced herself to become strong. A lot of people admired and respected her as a powerful ruler. So I wanted to be just like her; I will never show my weak side to others because only strong women can have their way… but it’s useless. In the end, I couldn’t become like her. Everyone now completely went away from me”

Riliane’s tone is different from usual; she became more like girls her age. I knew she was struggling to hold back her tears. Strong women must not let other’s see their crying look. Even so,

 When Kyle refused to marry her, she cried.

“I always felt I was alone. But Allen, you… are the last one by my side. Even now, You did everything for me”

“Princess Riliane…”

“Thank you Allen, finally, I can only say this to you”

It’s alright Riliane! I will protect you! I will never let you die! I squeezed her hand.

“Princess Riliane, I have done everything in order to achieve your aspirations. So…”

For as long as it is to protect you, I…

“This time, Can you hear out my wish?”

Only this number of opponent, you seem to fight alone

The battle with the royal guards continue.

One by one, each comrade falls. Despite that, the enemies’ ranks have been reduced as well. If we carry on in this way… then…

Victory would be ours!

The problem was ‘that man’… Gast Venom. He is a demon beyond anyone’s imagination. Even though Mariam was not unlike him, the speed of Gast’s sword was highly unusual. In fact, most of our casualties have died by his hand.

"These people, they’re useless."

Gast stepped upon the bodies of the fallen revolutionaries.

"There is an obvious hesitation with the way you handle the sword… such a beautiful swordswoman and the daughter of an old friend(?), because you had let your emotions rule your swordsmanship…The Lucifenian guards are only capable of so much."

"Pitiable man, I will not allow you to insult the guards so(?)."

Upon hearing my cry, Gast turned around.

"Heh, you are the same as the rest. Are they your enemies now?(?)"

"….. No matter. As long as I kill you, their confusion will disappear."

Gast pointed his sword to me. ….Would I win? Would I triumph over this ‘Demon’?

At that moment, my heart wavered

—Swish—

A piercing voice. I immediately stepped back.

Something was across my eyes; my bangs.

“Oh… you dodged it. Good”

This is bad. If there is a moment of hesitation, I would lose my head.

“Give this one a try”

—Swish—

—Swish—

Gast made a series of attacks… I dodged them all, however, he doesn’t give me a chance to counter.

Each attack is a close call; some would hit my red armour. If father was in this situation, what would he do?

Suddenly, I remembered what father said when we were drinking and laughing, about how he fought with a powerful enemy. Father talked about how he struggled against the strong opponent—

(That guy was strong, his speed was extraordinary. And I never seen that kind of swordsmanship)

Gast was smiling with every swing of his sword. Is he playing with me? No, he is just pushing me into the corner.

(Honestly, I thought I can’t beat that guy. However… In battle, I found out that your enemies has unique mannerism)

Gast stopped swinging his sword. Is he tired? In short, this is an opportunity! I prepared myself to fight back.

However, it was a trap. Gast lifted his sword upward then attacked my side. A feint! I tried to twist my body.

No, it was inevitable.

(This guy’s swordsmanship was unbelievable. It was simply unpredictable. However…)

—Swish—

There was the sound of something being cut. This time, it was not hair. I twisted my body and jumped up, then pulled away from Gast.

His eyes flashed bright red, and then dimmed.

Have my eyes…. been stabbed? No, I simply could not open my eyes.

“This is the end, young lady”

I hear Gast’s footsteps approaching.

Father, what should I do…

(I noticed, when the guy was about to thrust, he had a habit of striking a specific spot)

I must calm down, if the eyes cannot see, then listen with your ears! Sound… I must not miss any sound!

(This guy’s last aim… is going to be… the enemy’s neck!)

—Swish—

Gast’s sword pierced the air.

I leaned forward and waited for Gast’s attack…

—Swish—

I took advantage and attacked his side.

At the same time, Gast groaned loudly.

Although my eyes were still fuzzy, but nonetheless I was able to keep my eyes open, and it seems my eyes were not stabbed.

“…… it’s beautiful(?)”

A fallen man murmured. Although not clear, but I’m sure it was Gast. My attack seems to be successful.

“Finally, I have found a place to die… I have only one question though, how did you know how to counter me even though you can’t see?”

“Do you not remember the heraldry on my armour?”

Gast looked at my armour then became stiff.

“…… Oh, you are Leonhart’s daughter. Haha, now I can’t complain why I lost. Knowing my sword’s weakness and not correcting it myself… is the reason why I lost”

Gast seems… smiling.

“Gast, I have a question, have you seen… the princess and… a young man who is with her?”

“… Well, I don’t know”

“Oh… For powerful mercenaries like you, why did you not escape? You had numerous opportunities to escape”

By my side was a comrade who fought against the royal guards.(?)

“A mercenary’s reason for fighting… is, of course, only one”

Gast grabbed something from his pocket.

“…… and that is money”

I pulled out my sword

“Sarah…… Brother…… Will soon be with you……”

“Big sister! Are you alright?”

I heard Chartette’s voice. The battle in the heavenly yard seems to be settled.

“I’m fine… Just some scratch and bruises is all”

“……! Big sister, your eyes!”

“It’s just a cut on the eyelid… it will heal in no time”

Chartette noticed the body next to my feet.

“This guy… Gast Venom! Were you the one who killed him?”

“Well…… Yes”

I won because of father’s story. Even in death, he is still helping me.

“Now that’s my big sister! I now adore you even more than before!”

This child is always the same… and I thought she was just full of brute force; I never would have thought she could wield a sword too.

“Chartette, what happened in the heavenly yard?”

“We finally won, but the head maid… Mariam was able to flee. She is heavily injured and won’t post a threat to us anymore”

She is even able to drive away Mariam…… Chartette should not be underestimated.

“Kachess has sent a report”

York said with rough voice.

“He found the absconding Prime Minister, Minis. Although Kachess wanted to arrest him… but he resisted, so he was killed”

“…… and the princess?”

“We haven’t found the princess or your righteous brother yet. Also, all of the prime ministers are dead”

In other words, the princess is still somewhere in the palace and also Allen.

“Well, Let’s go! Find the Princess!”

Just when I was about to go, York stopped me.

“Not when your eyes are like that! The palace has almost no soldiers left. Just leave the rest to us for now”

“Yeah! Sister shouldn’t worry about us”

“Chartette! Not you too! Aren’t you also injured from the last battle? If you act rashly, you will die!”

“Ohhhh….”

Even though my vision is blurred, but I can see that Chartette is heavily injured.

“York……”

“I know, Germaine. I will not kill the princess for she deserves a public execution. After your eyes are healed, we will vent our anger towards her”

York was about to leave when Chartette suddenly exclaimed:

“Ah, yes, York!”

“……Why?”

“Princess Riliane… is indeed a bad person. But… if you can… please don’t bully her; be as gentle as possible…”

York nonchalantly walked into the palace.

Shortly after, a report came that the princess was apprehended in the Hall of Sounds. After the emergency treatment on my eye, I rushed towards the Hall of Sounds.

“No! Germaine! I’m told you not to push yourself!”

York said as I tried to force myself into the room.

“……I’m sorry, but I want to personally confirm that she really is the Daughter of Evil”

“You want to personally confirm… but can you even see?”

I narrowed my eyes. Although it’s vague, but I can see the princess, a few soldiers and a dress. Just the face isn’t clear.

“……  I’m not convinced(?)”

(“……?????????”)

“Really? Please tell us why(?)”

(“??????????????”)

“Don’t touch me!”

Just when I and York were speaking, the princess suddenly struggled. The soldiers hurriedly restrained her.

“Opps… I don’t really mind(?)” (“???……????????”)

York heaved a sigh of relief, he seems frustrated.

“Hey, princess! …… you better behave yourself, if you know what’s good for you(?)” (……??????????,???????)

The princess shrugged off York’s hand then screamed:

“You insolent fool!” [Kono.. Bureimono!]

When I woke up, I was alone.

What is this place?

Ah, right. This is a prison cell.

The cell was pitch black and was shrouded by darkness.

Once again, I remembered the situation I was in. I was arrested and placed in the underground prison of the palace.

This prison is very dark.

I can’t see anything.

I can’t hear anything.

I hate the dark. It gives me the illusion of flesh and spirit being devoured.

I was even caught while wearing the princess’s clothing.

Perhaps I could only wait for the trial of the “Daughter of Evil”.

Although I was aware of this, but…

I was trembling in the darkness.

“Why do it here? We can always have a meeting in the Hall of Mirrors”

Although we were soldiers, due to our low ranking, we never had the opportunity to see the inside of the palace. York was walking around curiously.

“It’s too spacious”

And like him, I was also looking around. The war happened just a few days ago and the everything seems to have calmed down. Though my father was the captain, but due to the fact that “People who have no business with the Palace are not allowed to enter”, so far, I haven’t seen it what it looks like in the inside.

If the revolution never occurred, I would have never seen this kind of life style.

It’s been five days since the takeover of the revolutionary army from the palace. Domestic chaos gradually lowered. Therefore, in order to discuss future plans and approaches, we have meetings of important members here.

The officers who are attending are me, York, Minage and some representatives of the revolutionary army. Sekka and Chartette are absent because they are injured and are currently healing themselves.

Keel Freesis, the one who fled to Marlon. If it weren’t for his assistance, the revolution wouldn’t have been successful. I nodded as the soldiers asked permission to let him in.

“Ahh, Miss Germaine, congratulations!”

Keel slightly raised his hand and smiled. The first time I saw him I thought, that this man doesn’t seem like a cunning business man.

“Thank you very much. Thanks to you, I was able to achieve victory. Not only with material assistance but also from the help of the middle class citizens…”

“This victory is all due to your outstanding determination. What I had done is a mere trifle. Besides, we are already in a difficult situation/we cannot turn back now, we might as well try to launch an offensive. Although the amount of funds spent is not little, I can always collect it back another day”

Keel smiled happily. He bypassed the round table and sat opposite of me. Soon, the Elphegort king appeared. Since the Lucifenian Civil war has ended, he gave out a sigh. However, the war have inflicted Elphegort tremendous damage. It would take years, no, decades before they can recover.

And then… the meeting starts.

After confirming the attendance, I said:

“You may start, King/Prince(?) of Marlon”

The one sitting on the seat of honour was the masked man, Kachess. Without his mask, the true identity of the Marlon King/Prince-Kyle.

Though he exposed his face, I already had a vague of feeling, so I wasn’t surprised. But for the others, this was shocking news and they all have surprised expressions. When York, who had always been coarse in speech, started to use crappy honorific, even Sekka, who was recovering and on bed rest, started applying her makeup.

“Hello everybody. I am very grateful to you all to be able to gather here today. First of all, because of the forces of the revolutionary army, we claimed victory over the war. My heartfelt congratulations”

Kyle gave his opening remarks. I am obviously the heart of the revolutionary army’s officials, so I have a nerve to say this.

“Why are you not wearing a mask, Kachess?”

I sarcastically said. The expression on his face showed little embarrassment.

“There is no need to continue hiding my identity. Honestly, I was ready to be deprived of my seat on the throne… but my mother has sent a formal letter of conditions”

“Conditions?”

“We will talk about it later. First off all, about what’s left of the Lucifenian army…”

The meeting began with a status report. It was about the Prime Ministers who escaped, were arrested and were killed.

“The soldiers who attacked Elphegort have surrendered and is now placed in Elphegort’s prison”

The Elphegort king reported.

“I think they themselves do not want war. I hope you will be able to forgive them”

“I know, Minage. I also do not want to incur unnecessary resentment”

The Elphegort King replied, but I think that too heavy a burden for his heart to carry. Lucifenia’s soldiers massacred a large number of people (especially women). The first order was to sacrifice them to appease the anger of the people. But to let those soldiers free, will have the two nations into a bad relationship.

Though the Elphegort king was originally a pacifist, but in the end, he carried out the conviction of the soldiers.

The mercenary group was disbanded because of the death of Gast Venom. Although some of them are still causing chaos in the streets, they will soon be repressed by the Marlon soldiers.

All in all, we will not be expecting anymore resistance in this regard.

“The next problem is……”

“The Three Heroes”

Lucifenia’s most powerful individuals that were  left was Elluka and Mariam. I have personally witnessed their capability when fighting. If they were to gather those fleeing soldiers, it would become a problem.

“I think there wouldn’t be any problem with Elluka”

I was surprised when Keel said that.

Elluka seems to be currently hiding somewhere. Although Keel did not specify why he thought of this, but it would be probably be because of her attitude. There is no possibility of a revolt.

Elluka was originally exiled from Lucifenia, so the chances that she would participate in a resistance is very low.

Kyle continued.

“Well, next is……”

“The missing one, right?”

He was talking about Mariam who was defeated by Chartette.

“Oh, yes!……  Yesterday, a body was found in the corner of the heavenly yard”

“……!”

“We all know that this place is guarded by Marlon soldiers”

“Yes…”

“A soldier on patrol found her body”

“Is it because of the wounds inflicted to her by Chartette…”

“No. Her body had a knife stabbed on her back and Chartette does not use a knife”

“She does”

“I guess while escaping from the battle field, she was found by the revolutionary army and was killed. As one of the Three Heroes, we would expect that she would escape so it’s unexpected”

“Do you know the person who gave the last blow to Mariam?”

“…..”

“I have not received such of a report”

“In any case, Lucifenia has little to no resistance force anymore”

The victory of the revolutionary army is now assured…

“Next is the future arrangements for the Lucifenia Kingdom”

He is about to say the “conditions”.

“Lucifenia Kingdom will now be under Marlon’s rule”

“……! Are you kidding me! So this is how it will all end up!”

As he heard Kyle’s proposal, York stood up and growled loudly.

“Wait a minute, York. Please calm down and let me finish”

Kyle tried to appease York. He doesn’t seem to be listening.

I can understand York’s anger. His proposal is too abrupt. But since Kyle is one of those, “natural born leaders”, we ordinary people will not be able to understand his ideas.

“York, calm down and let him finish. We will give our complaints later”

After hearing this, York stopped and sat in a poor position.

“If this country is led by the revolutionary army, then I would like to ask, who among them have political experience?…… None. The revolutionary army is composed of peasantry, and you expect to reform the country?”

Kyle may ask in a calm manner, but regardless, the answer is still no. Even so, York will not let get his way.

“…… Germaine and Minage are very intelligent”

“Intelligence is not the only requirement when it comes to politics. You must also have talent and experience. If those escaped Ministers would join the new government, what do you think would happen?”

“Oh, Ah, Hmm….”

“The Elphegort Kingdom is still under reconstruction… so you don’t have to take precautions. And also, everything seems to have settled down, so you have to worry. Of course, the revolutionary army will be taking part in the new government”

He may or may not know what to say, York was holding his shoulders in silence. Such an attitude is normal for Kyle and as he looked at everyone, he wanted to confirm any objection.

The conclusion was that we all agreed on Kyle’s proposal.

York and Minage were given positions in the new regime. Although I was also invited, I turned it down.

“Being the leader of the revolutionary army and without any reward, is justifying”

While York looks unhappy about it, all I wanted was to change Lucifenia. It was never my intention to join a war

“Although it’s just my opinion… but in order for Lucifenia to know the true meaning of freedom, I will also work hard in the future to come”

Kyle looked at me with regret. Nominally, the people who attended the meeting today are still in their same position.

It may incur antipathy, but there’s just no other way. Even so, some people would do things for my sake. To be honest, I’m still very happy, but I will not change my mind.

I looked at his face then laughed.

“……is something wrong?”

“No, it’s just that you used “Watashi” when you were talking just now, but you used “Ore” when you were wearing you mask”

“…… do not tease me”

I smiled, he pouted then turned his eyes away. The Prince of Marlon is easy to tease. I suddenly remembered my missing younger brother. Although he is not very likeable          , but teasing him was fun.

“So, with regards to the arrested princess… have you met her yet, Germaine?”

“I haven’t yet. I just got my bandage off yesterday”

According to the doctor, my eyes fortunately healed without any side/negative effects.

My vision is also unaffected

“Now… about her execution…”

“There is no need to discuss it”

Yes, if we think about the significance of this revolution, we should fully understand what will happen to the Daughter of Evil.

“Yes, then……”

Kyle paused then declared:

“The Execution of the Daughter of Evil will be held in 3 o’clock in the afternoon at Millenial Square —- An public execution”

It’s been a long time now.

In the underground cells, even the Levin Cathedral Bell cannot be heard. The window is latticed on the ceiling, where sunlight can enter. Unfortunately, the window was planked and nailed, so I was unable to see the scenery outside.

However, faint sound of laughter can be heard outside; must be children playing. But it’s very vague, so maybe I’m hallucinating. I thinking of children playing around the palace and while was humming songs.

Songs… Michaela’s singing was great. So to say, even the Daughter of Evil was good at singing and occasionally, when Leonhart and Germaine are drinking, would also sing some songs.

I was already singing when I regained attention/snapped out of my daydream. It was the lullaby my mother often sang to me when I was a child.

Singing is good, it can make people forget their anxiety. So just keep on singing.

“Hey! So noisy! You’re giving me a headache!”

A guard with a kerosene lamp said loudly roaring. I ignored him and kept on singing.

“……Che(??)”

The guard smacked with dissatisfaction(?), but didn’t say anything. He’s a soldier from Marlon.

I know that Marlon was brutal and ruthless when it comes to prisoners.

Rattle… Rattle…

I don’t know where the sound came from, but it sounded like footsteps. It was coming from the underground cell. It was time for guard duty shifting.

“Watchman, thanks for the hard work. How is she?”

The other officer said. It sounded like a female’s voice. I don’t know why, when I heard her voice, I slowly calmed down.

“Reporting, she is behaving nicely but she often makes a fuss”

“She… may haven’t lost hope yet”

I was initially making a scene of getting out. I had to act as the Daughter of Evil.

“I’m sorry but can you leave us alone”

The guard was surprised from her request.

“But…”

“Please! In any case, I just want to talk to her alone”

“…Okay. Please be careful and do not open the cell”

Footsteps can be heard and it eventually faded away. It seems the guard went to the stairs and left.

“This is the first time I’ve met you, princess”

The voice came from across the iron bars. Although it was very dark, it was not clear but she seems to be wearing bright red armour. I remembered the report that the revolutionary army was led by a person with red armour. She must be the leader of the revolutionary army.

……I feel like I know this voice.

“I am the leader of the revolutionary army, Germaine Avadonia. The execution date for Lucifenia’s princess has already been set, so I’ve have come to greet you personally”

“…Ha ha… HA HA HA HA HA HA!”

This is a masterpiece. It’s too funny. What did she just say? An execution date has been settled?

It’s not this one. It’s her name. The “Germaine Avadonia”. HAHA. I know that name.

“Why are you laughing? It’s irregular to laugh when you’re about to die”

I stood up and approached the iron bars, so that I could see her face. Yes, she is LeonHart’s daughter – Germaine Avadonia.

“The execution is 2 days from now at 3 o’clock in the afternoon at Millenial Square. It’s about time to confess to God for all the crimes you have done”

Germaine does not seem to have guessed my real identity. I could not help but boast in my heart that my skills of disguising is still good.

“Is that all that you want to say? Then leave. I’m tired”

Having said that, I retreated into the cell.

But at that moment—-

“Wait!”

Germaine called out to me. I turned around and saw that her eyes wavered and struggled to open.

“Please wait… What’s happening? Why would you do this…?”

The game was over; she knew who I was now. Even so, I- the servant, would not reveal my true identity.

“What are you talking about? I’m locked up in a filthy cell; no thanks to the likes of you”

“Don’t joke around! Allen! You’re Allen! Why…?”

“What a noisy woman… You must be drunk from your victory party”

“Allen Avadonia! Son of one of the Three Heroes, LeonHart Avadonia! My only brother… is that you?”

Tears formed from her eyes. I could no longer pretend.

“……Long time no see, Germaine”

“……Allen!”

Since my identity has been exposed, there’s no other way; I’ll tell everything to Germaine.

“Hahaha! I didn’t expect this dress is suitable for you Allen”

Riliane said in a teasing tone and while wearing my servant clothes.

I asked her to swap clothes with me. I copied her hairstyle and wore her dress.

“It’s like we would appear that we are like twins, Allen…”

Yes, we really are.

“But, even though your clothes look s very shabby, they’re surprisingly comfortable” Indeed. Servant’s clothes are more lighter and comfortable than those of Riliane’s clothes.

Therefore…

“If you wear this clothes,  you should be able to escape the palace”

After hearing of what I said, Riliane’s smile disappeared.

“Allen… What are you talking about?”

“Riliane, if you were this clothes and escape through the channels(?), your horse – Josephine – is waiting for you outside. Ride on her and ran away to a place where the revolutionary army will not find you”

“That’s nonsense! If they knew I wasn’t in the palace, they would send out search teams to find me”

“It’s alright. It doesn’t matter”

I will show off the skirt in a circular way.

"The Princess is right here"

I will stay here and act as bait. If they capture me, the revolutionary army will no longer look for a mere servant.

“No! Absolutely not! Even if we look alike, you will eventually be exposed”

I gently hugged Riliane.

Although we differ in gender, but the difference is physically small. Her body is just more slimmer and thin… and warmer.

“It doesn’t matter. They don’t know that we are twins and you’re my twin sister. They will not recognize you”

“Ha…?”

“You may not remember it, but I have not forgotten about you. When I was brought here by Leonhart to practice fencing, as well as being your servant, I always, always…”

Riliane was confused like she couldn’t understand what I was saying.

“Why…? If you do that, Allen, you will die right? You will get killed right? Why Allen, why…”

“Riliane… You have been an evil girl… If you are an evil girl, then your evil blood also flows through me. If you are the Daughter of Evil, the I’m the Servant of Evil. So it doesn’t matter. I will take you place here while you live on…”

“……No… I don’t want that, Allen…”

Riliane said while sobbing.

“Do not cry. Riliane is already a woman and women don’t cry. Ah, yes, it doesn’t matter anymore anyway, because you’re no longer the Daughter of Evil”

I let go of Riliane, walked out of the room and closed it.

“…Allen! Wait!”

Riliane tried to open the door but it cannot be opened; I locked the door from the outside.

“Did you know, Riliane. There is a small device about the door, so it can prevent the door from opening from the inside. When were young, whenever we got into trouble, our mother the Queen would lock us in here to teach us a lesson, before forgiving us. Meanwhile, we hugged each other and cried…”

Riliane’s voice could be heard on the other side of the door.

“…… I have no idea, I can’t remember. Allen, please tell me… Please me more about our past…”

“……Good bye Riliane, I will go now. Hurry and escape through the channel(?)”

I left the door and walked away”

“Wait! Don’t go…”

Riliane cried in a weak voice, desperately banging on the door.

“Please, don’t leave me alone…”

All right, all right. Right now, I am the “Daughter of Evil”, I have to be a strong girl. So…

I should never cry.

“You and the princess are twins…”

After hearing me out, Germaine had a surprised expression. No wonder, even father didn’t tell her about this. I’ve only kept it in the dark until today so it must had a huge impact on her.

After a moment of silence, Germaine began to speak again.

“……Wait a minute. If you tell me these things, you can get out of jail”

Germaine said, as she went up the stairs.

“Get me out of jail? Why?”

“Because you are not the princess; you are just a servant. Everyone must be told of this…”

“You really are the same as before; you haven’t changed. As the leader of the revolutionary army, how can you be so emotional about it”

“…… You also haven’t changed. Still sarcastic and unlikeable”

Not… anymore(?). ?????……??

“You also told me that when I was still a kid”

“Well, at that time, you just arrived at our home. You treated everyone as enemies, you didn’t even look at me”

“………”

“At that time, I didn’t know why you were like that. But I now know why. When you were suffering and got into a political dispute… Allen, even just after a few days, your attitude slightly changed.

“No, nothing changed”

“Really? Don’t you remember? When we saved Chartette from those bandits”

“…… Like what’s going on now?”

“At that time, people thought that Chartette was already killed so they gave up on rescuing her. But I believed she was still alive so I tried to save her but as a result, I got caught. If you haven’t saved back then, I wouldn’t be here today”

Yes, such an event did happen but it’s all in the past.

“In short, you’re not a villain here. So there’s no reason to kill you. Wait, I’ll be right back…”

“So you’re saying that ‘you can get me out of this situation’? I think it’s impossible”

When I said that, Germaine suddenly stopped.

“The King of Marlon, Kyle has been here before… he told me that he decided to execute me in exchange for the princess”

Kyle Marlon…. He, too, recognised me immediately for who I really was. He /was/ Rillianne’s fiancé after all, so being discovered by him was not surprising. But as a king of a country, if he was to discover that the Princess is a false one, he would have to consider whether the fact would cause domestic chaos in the realm.

The revolution was finally about to end, and if it was to repeat, the consequences would be disastrous.

It’s understandable for Kyle to have a pessimistic view on politics. That’s what he’s like, rejecting Rillianne’s marriage proposal, resolutely joining the Revolutionary Army, making moves that would shock the people of Marlon.

“……I still don’t understand!”

“and… I told him… that the person he loved –Michaela- was killed by my hands”

Germaine gaped in surprise. She could not believe what I said so she asked me:

“You… really said that to him?”

“Yes, regardless of the events, after I said that, he immediately became angry and began to punch me in the face…… Even though Marlon law states that it is clearly prohibited to violate prisoners. Germaine, you should pay attention when you’re with him”

“Allen…!”

“Really now, getting carried away by his feelings even though he is a king. Marlon’s prospects really is worrying… Haha, this is what Lucifenia’s princess would say”

Germaine was lost in thought. After a moment of silence between us, only to find that the cells really are quiet, we heard faint  voices from outside.

“I feel that… this is very strange!”

Germaine ran to the lounge room and immediately ran back. She was fetching the prison keys.

“Allen…… we have to escape! Escape to a far away land!”

“You are the leader of the revolutionary army. If you do such a thing…”

“That doesn’t matter anymore. You and I have to escape. Ah, yes, after we have settled down, we will also call upon Chartette. She will understand us. We the three of us, just like before, can live happily together!…… Although father is gone”

Germaine rattled on, tears emerging from her eyes.

It’s impossible Germaine. It’s impossible.

Maybe in your heart, you prioritize me.

But in fact…

Everything has changed.

“…… Germaine, that armour you’re wearing, is it the same as fathers?”

I asked, pointing at her armour.

“……? Ah, yes. But because it was not my size, Chartette’s father, who is a blacksmith, slightly modified it to fit me”

“What…… Indeed Chartette’s father is a good black smith. He made good changes. Was the damage on the shoulder also repaired?”

“…… huh?”

Germaine didn’t seem to understand what I said.

“I said… even though father is one of the three heroes, we was assassinated. Who do you think is the murderer?”

I tried to control my feelings, Germaine said:

“It was the Daughter of Evil”

“Do you think Riliane is capable of killing Leonhart?”

“…….”

“Ah, now I understand Germaine. You set off the revolution for this sole reason. Hahaha, It’s so ironic. In the name of order and justice, you set up the banner for peace. I was right”

“…….No, I…….”

“This isn’t a revolution, it’s revenge! You used the people in order to get revenge!”

“……It’s not……”

“It’s not strange. HAHAHAHA, it’s really funny how many people got injured in the revolution and how many died. Although they see you as a hero, but in my opinion, you and Riliane are not different in your desire to control people. If Riliane is a Daughter of Evil, then you are too!”

“Don’t say it……”

“Don’t worry Germaine. I was the Daughter of Evil’s companion. So I will assist you in revenge. Although the princess has ran away, but it doesn’t matter because……”

“Please… don’t say it… ALLEN!”

“Because the murderer… is standing right in front of you”

Germaine’s cries echoed in the underground prison.

The singing voices outside could not be heard.

Father, how are you doing in heaven?

If it’s father, he might be drinking all day long.

Mariam and the Royal Guards are also there so they must be having a party right now.

On the contrary, people here are leaving one by one, getting more and more lonely.

Father, I’m at Millenial Square right now. It’s where you would often go to grab a drink.

I think my father knows it. In this country of Lucifenia, the princess is very tyrannical.

The princess is about to celebrate her 15th birthday tomorrow.

But today, here in Millenial Square, she will be executed. The guillotine will cut of her head. She deserves it, for all of the sins she has and will commit.

A lot of people have gathered at Millenial Square, all awaiting the death of the Daughter of Evil.

The princess was standing in front of the stage and was being surrounded by shouts and scolding. She deserves it; she has done too many bad things.

There was a commotion at the corner of the square. A girl repeatedly shouted and made scene. If I look closely, it’s actually a friend of mine. Father would also recognize her. She must be aware of it. The punishment going to be dealt at the true identity of the princess on stage.  I hope she doesn’t make too much noise and end up destroying the stage.

But, ah, it’s Chartette. Anything she would do is pointless. Because the child is a bad seed.

But…

Tell me…

Tell me, father…

This so called “Evil”, will it end after this?

Below me, there are a lot of people criticizing me.

Those condemning in front of me, no, to Riliane. Those eyes that are full of hate, showed their undisguised hostility.

Ah, Riliane, with all the enemies around, you really are alone.

But do not worry, for I will protect you. Even if this country no longer belongs to you.

So just be there smiling and laughing.

I looked up and saw the blue sky being covered by a guillotine blade. I was then lying down; my head and arms are now fixed on the scaffold.

“Immediately, after the bell of Levin Cathedral sounds three times, it is execution time”

The executioner said. With this guillotine, I will be executed.

With a huge blade dropping on my neck…

I don’t want it.

I don’t want to die.

Why? Why do I have to die? I don’t want to. It’s terrible to die. I don’t want to die. I do not, do not, do not.

If I had escaped with Riliane… No, no, no. If I didn’t act as bait, and we both escaped, we would eventually get caught.

It would have been nice we could run away. Together with Germaine would also be nice. No, I must not.

I don’t want Germaine to be dragged into this. She… Is my sister. So… I could only say that at that time.

Why am I here? I’m only fourteen. Why, why does everyone want to condemn me? Don’t tease me. I hate it! I don’t want to die…

………Lu Li La…………Lu Li La………

I heard someone singing from nowhere. I strained my ears, yet I could only hear the noise of the rabble. So it was just a hallucination after all.

Not just a hallucinations but illusions as well.

Riliane looks elegant sitting next to me. Illusions of her smiling and gently holding my hand.

…… Ahh, very warm hands. I am very, very at ease…

The illusions of Riliane look smaller now. Ahh, this is when we were children. We slipped out of the palace and went to the sea side.

“Riliane, let’s go, we must go back now, it’s already dark”

I still  remember the scene where I begged Riliane.

As a child, I was afraid of the night because I was scared of the dark.

“I doesn’t matter. Don’t be afraid and just hold my hand”

Riliane’s hand was very warm.

Really, for as long as you take my hand, I was not afraid. I became very at ease.

Yes, not just me but also Riliane. She was afraid to be lonely. I wanted peace of mind.(?) I want to hold your hand and feel at ease.

I want to, and that’s all I need.

“Thank you Riliane, I am no longer afraid! Let me tell you something interesting”

“What is it?”

“In this piece of paper, write down your wish, then we will put it inside a bottle, then throw it into the sea, then…”

“Throw it into the sea?”

“Your wish will come true”

“My wish will come true?”

“Yes! What will you wish for, Riliane?”

“Well, if there’s next life after this, I wish to become a horse”

“……… A horse?”

“Because the palace is too boring. If I were a horse, I could ran freely outside and we can play anywhere we want”

Oh, I hope so that Riliane would become a horse in her next life.

“Time is running out, princess. Any last words?”

The executioner asked. What would Riliane say.

The church bell sounded.

There would be two, then three, then my life would end.

It does not matter, I am not afraid. Because you’re holding my hand.

“Time’s up princess. Do you want to make any last wish to God?”

 A vow to God… Ah, if there is an afterlife…

The bell sounded.

This is the second time, one more left.

The condemning is still on going. Yeah, I need to come up with something that will look like an answer coming from Riliane.

“Ara, It’s snack time” [Ara.. Oyatsu no jikan dawa!]

The third bell sounded. The target of the guillotine was my neck.

Farewell, Riliane!

If there is an afterlife, then, [Moshimo umare kawareru naraba]

Let’s play together again. [Sono toki wa mata asondene]

FINAL CHAPTER:

A calm morning. I was drinking Darjeeling Black Tea while browsing today’s news paper.

My cute and lovely daughter was desperately writing something on paper. I asked her: “What are you writing?” She replied: “ I’m writing stories about snakes and frogs!”

Recently, I have always lived a chaotic life. After house from Elphegort burned down, and was imprisoned in Lucifenia, liberation from just another revolution. I returned to my motherland, Marlon and had been dealing with small affairs so I have little time to leisurely drink black tea.

I received four letters.

One was sent by my friend, Kyle Marlon. He temporarily handed over his administration to his mother, Queen Dowager Prim Marlon, and has settled in Lucifenia. I am afraid the situation and struggle in Lucifenia is hard.

This time, it wasn’t a small loss. Although I feel sorry for Kyle, but I lost more money in some form from Marlon’s domestic gain.(?) the result would have a maximum profit, for Marlon’s state and Lucifenia’s territory.(?)

Kyle also wrote:

“The Witch Hunting Order…”

Ruling out the unstable factors, I think this command was handed out by Kyle out of personal revenge.

The so-called Royal Families and individual countries have no difference. Because of their own feelings and desire that the whole country got involved into the whirl pool.

Well, however, we businessmen are also like them. I laughed at myself. Sitting next to me was my daughter who was looking at me weirdly.

The second letter was from Elluka Clockworker. I have to thank her. I escaped my Elphegort home with almost nothing. Just when I have lost hope, she took all of my property and it all appeared right in front of me.

Exactly how she got my property from my burned house… I do not know. However, as a gift of gratitude, I helped her and her apprentice hide for some time and she wanted something from my collection.

What Elluka wanted was a samurai sword. Gast Venom also wanted that sword. I do not know why they would want something of no value. Could that sword have value I do not know of?

Her apprentice… Gumillia saved my maid… Michaela.

I had a feeling about her… not being an ordinary person.

I do not know what “that” is. I have seen Gumillia’s miracles and they are things far beyond what I can understand.

But if Gumillia is Michaela’s “partner”. Then I will hand her over.

All I can do is pray for the soul of Michaela.

Elluka and Gumillia began their journey to head east and while also visiting my maid, Clarise.

The third letter was from Clarise. She is now working in a small port city not far from Lucifenia’s Monastery. That monastery was originally funded by me, so I asked her to go there.

I asked her to become my maid again but she rejected. Perhaps she has her own ideas.

And the fourth letter… was from the leader of the revolutionary army, Germaine Avadonia. She appreciated the help I gave her during the revolution and is reporting the situations of Chartette and her friends.

After the revolution, she should have been the happiest compared to the others. However, on the day of the execution of the princess, at the Millenial Square, she was like a hollow shell.

I understand why. Because if my memory serves me right, the one on the execution stage was…

After reading all the letters, I threw them in the fire place. The stationary instantly burned. Today’s letters has some contents that should not be learned by others, although it is beneficial intelligence, but it also has its risk. It would be best to let it all stay in my head.

My daughter finished her “Snake and Frog” story and handed it to me telling me to look at it. I browsing it again and again, one can’t help but raise a lip. Well, for a nine year old, this is very good. This child will become a great writer in the future.

My daughter cried out: “Next, I’m going to write about the “Daughter of Evil”!”. She is quite interested in the Lucifenian Revolution.

The revolution is over. We have started a new life.

However…

Has it really ended?

My lovely daughter, for you to write about the “Daughter of Evil”, perhaps it’s a bit too early to do so.

Everything is progressing well.

As expected.

I came back here again, how many years has it been?

I breathe the air of the motherland, finally feeling completed after the fulfilment of my responsibilities.

In front of me was a lady who said:

“It’s been a long time. You’ve grown big”

The last time I met her, I was very young.

Indeed I have grown. Tall and able to use make-up.

But the one in front of me was smiling and looks the same as before.

After the execution of the princess, the three heroes have ceased to exist. In the current situation, there’s nothing that can stop you now.

I reported.

“But Elluka is still alive right?”

“Yes… but she will not interfere…”

“How sure are you… Well, it’s fine. After all, the purpose has been achieved. It must have been hard for you”

 Being able to get a compliment from her, my heart is filled with happiness.

To her, I am just a tool in order to achieve her plan.

“If this goes on, our country will be the largest in history. My son… your brother, will be crowned king”

I don’t care about brother. I exist… for mother’s sake.

“Leave the rest to me. You rest for a while, my lovely daughter… Marlon’s 13th princess, Ney Marlon”

I set my eyes on the endless sea. Raging waves come and go. I stare at it all, despite the passing of time. I can’t help but think that the whole word is just an illusion.

I can hear the Levin church bell from a distance. Clang, clang, clang. But this sound of the sea calms me(?). No, I must go back.

I walked to the monastery. On the way, I was holding onto a pot. Inside was a small sapling growing from the soil.

(What should I do with this sapling?)

I was thinking, if I placed it in the monastery, it would wither due to excessive moisture. How about the forest of bewilderment…no, near the thousand year old tree would be better right?

This sapling was given to me by a girl named Gumillia…… it’s kind of incredible though… she said this sapling was my important friend(?).

(Oh my, Michaela, what should I do?)

I lost hope. I was given another chance. My lifestyle changed when I met Michaela. When I lost her, I can’t find any reason to walk forward again.

Even if I wanted to get revenge, I cannot. Gumillia told me that the revolution was a success and the princess was executed.

(I escaped. Sorry, Michaela)

I am neither “righteous” or “evil”. I am just a coward.

Even so, I still have to live on.

For women, it’s a very exhausting matter to be walking on this path from the sea side up to the monastery. I heaved a sigh. Do I have to walk this path again today?

I’m going to find a place to sit and take a break. This pot is too heavy.

(Michaela…… You seem to have gain weight?)

I unconsciously uttered a joke.

When I found a good place to sit, I found a cloth

Upon closer inspection, the cloth… was actually… moving. Is it a cat or something hiding under it?

I picked it up, only to find a body.

Not a cat, but a person.

It was a man, lying on the ground.

“Ohhhh……”

Upon hearing the consecutive moans of pain, I immediately took off the cloak and loosened the collar. He had beautiful blond hair and a handsome face. Though he’s wearing men clothes, but the looks from the body… she’s a girl?

Although it looks like she isn’t suffering from any serious injury, maybe she’s hungry because she looks thin and skinny. I must give her something to eat.

It’s clear that I should bring her to the monastery immediately, but I can’t carry her all the way there.

I remember that… there’s a nearby bakery here right? Maybe I can go ask for help.

“Hey, are you still conscious? Nevermind, I’m going to get someone to help”

Just when I’m about to turn around and look for help, the girl suddenly grabbed my skirt.

“No… don’t leave me alone…”

She murmured while tugging on my skirt, refusing to let go.

Her right hand was holding a small bottle.

[FIN]

                [FREE CHAPTER]
"Ha~a..~"

I placed the book I had just been reading on the table beside the chair and stretched out.

From the front right window, I can see orange light. It’s sunset. Spending such an important holiday to read the book might have been regretful, however I had nothing planned from the beginning. With holidays now, doing something like this is good.

Tomorrow, my wife and daughter will return. Since I’ll be busy then, I won’t be able to relax and read a book like I’ve done today.

If it was my own book, it would not be a problem even if reading is time-consuming. However, this is a book I borrowed. In the long run without word, the owner of it is a little unhappy. With the relationship we have, we can argue over even little things like that.

Again, my eyes shifted to the book on the table. The title, ‘Daughter of Evil’, is written on the outside cover, and below that is something written quite small. I think it’s the author’s autograph. It is unmistakable evidence that this book is the very book written by the author ‘Yukina Freesis’ some fibe hundred years ago.

A double knock. ‘Knock knock’. This is surely my servant, Renato.

Along with him, Larisa would knock three times. Kacherina is stronger, not as clear as this.

When the door opened, a man with a mustache stood. Ahh, it was actually Rennert. “Please excuse me, sir. The playwright, MA is here.”

It is time.

"Tell her to come in here."

I rose as I spoke and Rennert left.

A moment later, a woman entered the room.

Long black hair to her waist with a single monocle, wearing a costume from the east called a “kimono”. She is a beautiful woman with a striking figure, and often one has to look away.

She noticed the book, ‘Daughter of Evil’, on the table.

"You have read it."

"I just finished reading."

"Ahh, is that so… How is it? Your impression is…"

"The story of the ‘Daughter of Evil’ that I know is quite different."

This book was made under the same name of the author who wrote the Freesis Fairytale, and reading it now is a very popular thing amongst people around the world. In it, where the princess would have been executed, it was replaced with her twin brother.

The same writer, though not related as the content is different.

"So.. Which is correct?"

MA pointed to the book on the table.

"Of course, this one right here."

"Do not confirm that. You can’t really know that."

"Fufufu… ….. It is true. But it can’t be wrong, this is the truth. Hidden behind history, it is the story of the truth."

"Aha~ah. So you say Sorceresses and Evil exist? …….Oh well. It’s a very interesting book. I get to know about my ancient ancestors."

I know I am related to the Marlon royalty of previous years.

My ancestor, Kyle Marlon, after independence from the kingdom of Lucifenia again,gave the throne to his brother and left Marlon.

I would also be a member of the royal family if he had remained a king. However, even now it is a good position for me, since there is a benefit of this lineage that can’t be denied, it’s unreasonable for me to hold a grudge against him.

I stood from the chair and gave MA the book.

"So, you want to make a film about this book, right?"

As I asked this, MA looked at me with her enchanting eyes and grabbed my arm.

"If I found a good sponsor… But."

I lightly waved my arm, also waving her arm.

"Please forgive me. Although I love moves, I do not want to spend money on such excess entertainment."

When she heard those words, the joy in MA’s face vanished. With a sullen expression, she took from her sleeve a pipe. Although I often say ‘Don’t smoke in here’, she ignores it and lit the pope, slowly starting to smoke.

"You really are stingy. You only know how to save your money."

MA started walking around the room. Like such, until she stopped in front of the cabinet and took the framed picture placed there.

In that photo, I, my wife and our daughter, there are three people smiling.

MA examined the photo, thinking deeply as she whispered.

“Your wife will return tomorrow……..”

I stared intently at MA.

"Are you threatening me, ah? If it is because of our relationship that you would harm my wife, then…"

MA suddenly began to laugh aloud.

"Hahaha, my intention is not that! I do not have that kind of style."

She put the picture frame back to it’s original place.

After that, there was a long silence.

I can’t stand this unpleasant atmosphere, so I gave MA a question to change it.

"If you say this book is true. There is still more?"

"More?"

"The characters then and how, you don’t have any question about them?"

"Ahh. Well, if so, I have something. Like a note, but much simpler. Next time, shall I bring it?"

Since I wanted to hear more on the story, I decided to ask for more discussion of the characters.

Because I know that I really enjoy hearing stories like this from MA.

The first thing I felt odd about was those two mages.

"Gumillia and Elluka, those two, after a hundred years from the story’s time they appeared again, right?"

"The story of ‘Lemy the Ripper’."

.

Lemy the Ripper, the killer of about four hundred years ago in the Lucifenia Republic, who made the event of the serial killers. While events after Lemy’s murder have been blurred out, the names of the two women who had killed him would have been recorded in the books, certainly they are ‘Gumillia and Elluka’. If those Sorceresses can live eternally, it’s no problem as to who they are.

MA said that, in the book that Yukina Freesis had written, “The two then traveled to the East”. After that trip, they came back to Evillious again, or maybe not. It can’t be sure since Yukina in the era of ‘Lemy the Ripper’ is already dead. They are the only ones who can or cannot confirm.

'Lemy the Ripper' if you say so, also have some interesting books on it.

Related to him is the leader of the Organization of murder ‘Pere Noel’, known as the woman named ‘Julia Aberlard’. Relations to her origins still puzzle many, many rumors spread until recently.

These include an assumption that ‘Julia Aberlard’ is the reincarnation of the revolutionary hero of Lucifenia, Germaine Avadonia. Or perhaps Germaine had become immortal, something incredible.

In the book by Yukina Freesis, she even write that ‘Germaine then went traveling again with Chartette.’ so she is unidentified as dead or living.

Whether in history at that time, Germaine has returned to war record, for the previous year was uncertain. Because of that, a new theory of reason was made.

Things like the ‘Vessels of Sin’. If they exist, it’s possible that the ‘True form of Julia Aberlard is Germaine Avadonia’ theory is correct.

(If it is like… Whatever it is…)

.

"Abyss I.R., why did she collect the ‘Vessels of Sin’?"

Though this isn’t a question and just word monologue, watch as MA doesn’t understand that.

“Collect the sins and your wish will come true.”

MA answered it.

Wish come true, really. Whether that’s ‘Vessels of Evil’, it makes me feel really dramatic.

"The interesting thing? If like that, would you want to find them together? The good news is…"

"Thank you."

Despite the excitement, MA came here to suggest looking for the ‘Vessels of Sin’, I also paused.

"Ah, money is necessary, right?"

"Yeah, yeah of course."

MA, unlike normal, responded with an indifferent face.

"I don’t need the ‘Vessels of Sin’."

"Wow…. Is that so?" MA brought the pipe that had gone out before the fire, dropping ashes into it. She put the pipe in her sleeve.

"Soon, I will return."

She walked to the door, I called her to stop.

"I tell you just in case, for my wife and our daughter.

"I know. You don’t want your daughter in trouble, right?"

Before closing the door, MA with her shadow, finally suggested this.

"The film and the story of the ‘Vessels of Sin’…… If you have changed your mind, then tell me right now.”

I was sure that she would leave, so I just sat back down.

Position and honor, I have it. My beloved daughter too.

'Vessels of Sin', things like that are unnecessary.

Without realizing it, I fell asleep in my chair.

.

Rennert is shaking me up.

"Master, Master! Something happened!!"

What is it, to get in this room you have to knock on the door. I opened my eyes and begin to speak, but Rennert keeps talking very fast.

"Lady and Mistress Michelle, they were in an accident."

Before my eyes, everything was shrouded in black. Now, even if my eyes are open, I am unable to see.

"They were coming, but the boat sank before arrival. They were attacked by a giant octopus not seen before."

'Vessels of Sin', 'Evil'.

A story that is not related to me.

Just a fairytale.

However,

The Karma of the ‘Evil’ is not over.

🎉 You've finished reading Daughter of Evil : Closure of Yellow (EVIL SERIES WHOLE NOVEL IN WATTPAD!!) 🎉