Spirit

February 22, xxxx

. . .

It had been one week since Stein and I had our "bonding experience". School was going great, but our mission of collecting 99 kishin souls and one witch soul was not a priority. Word around school was that Spirit and his female friend Hanaji were making their way to the top.

Stein seemed to be a little more irritable than usual, and I wasn't sure why. Currently, it was lunch time, and I had left Stein to get some fresh air. His attitude had been suffocating me all day. The smoke coming from his cigarettes seemed to be more tolerable back in those days. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a shadowy figure. It was Spirit: the future death scythe.

"______," Spirit called. I turned around and faced my partners ex weapon.
"Hello, Spirit." My tone was bland. I didn't have any hard feelings towards him, but he was a better weapon than me, and I had a competitive nature.
"So, you're, uh... Stein's new weapon now. Is that correct?" I hesitated. It was obvious that Stein and I were partners, and I didn't know what Spirit wanted from me.
"Yes, that is correct. Why does the future death scythe want to start up a conversation with a "lowly" weapon like myself?" Spirt shoved his hands in his front pockets; his posture was curved.
"I came to warn you, _______." I stared at him for a moment. He was dead serious.

*Stein's P.O.V*
_______ was taking too damn long. Where was she? I had a feeling something bad was happening, and I could not leave her defenseless. I had to protect her. I found myself walking down the hallway outside of the lunch room. I fumbled for my cigarettes, and I attempted to ignite my lighter.
"Dammit!" I yelled. I continued to flick  in the hopes that the lighter still had some juice left. When a flame had finally emerged, I heard voices. My surroundings came back to me, and I realized that I was outside. One of the voices was _______'s voice. I  recognized the silk-like words that flowed from her velvety lips.

"Hello, Spirit." She said. What the hell was she doing with Spirit? Perhaps she was having doubts about me, or maybe she preferred a womanizer over a freak. Either way, I had to know how this would go down. Regrettably, I made the flame coming from my lighter disappear. _______ could not know that I was eavesdropping on the conversation at hand.
"I came to warn you, _______." That bastard. I knew exactly what he was going say.
"What is it, Spirit?" ______ sounded concerned. Spirit straightened his back and said, "You may not like what I'm going to say, but you have to stop being Stein's partner. Do you know what he's done to me, ______? Do you? He's dangerous, unstable, a ---"
"A monster?" She cut him off. My heart felt heavy. I thought _____ was different from the others. I stopped my urges and wants to dissect her just so she could keep her beautiful, smooth skin just the way it is. Supressing those urges had changed my attitude, and I seemed to be becoming more and more negative. But I did it for her. Just so she wouldn't leave me. Now, I wasn't sure if she would stay.

"Don't you think I know my own partner?" ______ asked. "Because I do. I know that he's a freak, a weirdo, a savage," ______ counted each word on her fingers as she spoke, "but he's my oddity! My soul-bound meister! I haven't connected to anyone on a spiritual level my whole life. So I don't give a damn who he is or what he's capable of because I know that Stein is a great partner. He doesn't have to live to your standards because he sure as hell lives up to mine. So next time you want to talk shit about my partner, keep it to yourself." My heart was mended with every word. I still had my weapon. My ______. I couldn't deny that I was developing a twinge of feelings for her, and I hoped that she would feel the same. I watched ______ storm off without another word, and the bell for fifth period chimed in rhythm with her steps.