Thirteen

The days passed in a blur of meetings in the Great Hall. Although the intent was to create a lasting peace agreement, there were challenges that needed to be addressed by the two kings. Freya fortunately was not expected to contribute further; her gender considered an impediment to logical thought. Instead she spent the days in inspecting the stores of the castle and ensuring that the matrons who managed the castle were instructed in the needs of providing for so many people. The Duke was unmarried which left the running of the castle to the matrons. Freya thought wryly that it was time to finalise the arrangements for Rufus' marriage. There were some suitable noble women whose fathers would be open to an alliance with a Duke.

The quieter days allowed Freya some time to rest and slowly the nausea that had plagued her receded and she began to feel better. The talks between the two kings were drawing to an end and it was nearly time for their departures from the eastern castle. Freya would be glad to return home to Aberthy Castle. Although a routine had been established here and the nightly formal meal was less tense, it was hard to live again in a castle with so many memories. Freya's childhood had been a cold one and her time in the castle had been fraught with tension. Ewen had been very attentive to her feelings and although she had seen very little of him in the day time, at night they had retired early as was tradition and she had been able to spend some time with him.

Ewen's attentiveness had extended to their time in bed too and between them a new tenderness existed. Freya's breasts were sensitive as they grew and she found herself very aroused when Ewen stroked them and sucked on her nipples. As the nausea receded, she found herself more desirous of their nightly encounters.  One night Ewen had shocked her by kissing her in her most private place. Freya had been standing in front of the fire in the royal chamber warming up before getting into bed. Ewen had moved behind her and put his arms around her waist. They hadn't stayed there for long before he moved his hands up and cupped her fuller breasts. Gently turning Freya to face him, he had bent down to kiss her on her lips. Softly at first and then with growing urgency. Pulling back to look at her, Ewen had traced the line of her lips with his finger before moving down to kiss her again. This time he moved his tongue into her mouth. Freya stilled momentarily from the newness of the experience before she responded and kissed him back.

Slowly, Ewen removed her gown and moved Freya to the bed. He had sucked her dusky pink nipples, softly at first and then with growing intensity, before he moved down to the small swell of her belly. Ever so gently he had stroked it and then he had bent forward to whisper to the life growing in there. Ewen enjoyed kissing her belly. He looked forward to feeling the life move in Freya as she grew larger with child. Moving further down, Ewen left a trail of kisses as he approached her most private part. Spreading her folds gently, Ewen kissed her until he found the small bud hidden there. As he alternately licked and sucked on it gently, he could hear Freya gasped, first with surprise and then with pleasure. As he used his hands to move lower still and inserted first one finger and then two into her, he felt Freya's body begin to shudder with her desire. Her breathing fast and shallow. With infinite care, Ewen rolled on top of her and entered her. He didn't need to be careful as she was wet from her arousal. It didn't take long before he joined her in shuddering as desire consumed him.

Long after as they lay in each others arms, languid after the exertions of their lovemaking, Ewen thought of his expectations of this marriage. It was designed as a political alliance and yet it had been so much more than he had anticipated it would be. He had not expected his virginal bride to be so responsive to his attentions in the bedroom. Even in his happiness, Ewen felt some anxiety. Freya needed to survive childbirth and the peace agreements he had fought so hard to achieve were still precarious. Ewen needed to leave the son that grew in Freya more than a weak agreement and bad blood between two kings to inherit.