Chapter Seventy-Two

Start from the beginning

"No one's going to try and kill you until we've sorted a few things out," Remus informed Peter in a promising tone. Which still relayed the message that someone was going to try to kill him after they had what they needed out of him.

"Sorted things out?" The man squeaked. "I knew he'd come after me! I knew he'd be back for me! I've been waiting for this for twelve years!"

"You knew Sirius was going to break out of Azkaban? When nobody has ever done it before?"

Peter seemed to be digging his own grave in that moment as he wasn't able to talk his way out of it all. He was stammering over his own words, trying to come up with responses that would make sense as he was revealing his true colours with every passing second.

"He's got dark powers the rest of us can only dream of! How else did he get out of there? I suppose He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named taught him a few tricks!"

Sirius started to laugh, it was full of anger that caused Elspeth to flinch as he continued before lashing out at the man. "Voldemort, teach me tricks? What, scared to hear your old master's name? I don't blame you, Peter. His lot aren't very happy with you, are they?"

Peter tried to play dumb or perhaps he wasn't playing very much, either way, he was attempting to feign innocence while all eyes were on him. 

"You haven't been hiding from me for twelve years," Sirius reminded him, "You've been hiding from Voldemort's old supporters. I heard things in Azkaban, Peter... They all think you're dead, or you'd have to answer to them... I've heard them screaming all sorts of things in their sleep. Sounds like they think the double-crosser double-crossed them. Voldemort went to the Potters' on your information... and Voldemort met his downfall there. And not all Voldemort's supporters ended up in Azkaban, did they? There are still plenty out here, biding their time, pretending they've seen the error of their ways... If they ever got wind that you were still alive, Peter—"

Immediately, Milo's mind went to people like Lucius Malfoy. It was no secret that the man had been a heavy supporter of Voldemort and when their "dark lord" had met his downfall, like many they claimed to be under the Imperius Curse. Milo didn't believe that, but others did, like members of the Ministry. He wondered how someone like Lucius would react hearing that Peter was alive, nowadays, he was too busy focusing his attention on claiming the lives of innocent creatures.

"If Voldemort's supporters were after me, it was because I put one of their best men in Azkaban—the spy, Sirius Black!" Peter told them but all he was doing was pissing everyone off.

"How dare you," Sirius growled, almost threatening to turn into his massive dog form, "I, a spy for Voldemort? When did I ever sneak around people who were stronger and more powerful than myself? But you, Peter—I'll never understand why I didn't see you were the spy from the start. You always liked big friends who'd look after you, didn't you? It used to be us... me and Remus... and James..."

He attempted to deny it, claiming that it was complete lunacy.

"Lily and James only made you Secret-Keeper because I suggested it, I thought it was the perfect plan... a bluff... Voldemort would be sure to come after me, would never dream they'd use a weak, talentless thing like you... It must have been the finest moment of your miserable life, telling Voldemort you could hand him the Potters."

"Professor Lupin?" Hermione interjected the first of the students to speak up since Milo's outburst earlier. "Can—can I say something?"

"Certainly, Hermione." Remus was treating the conversation as if they were all gathered for tea and biscuits that evening.