Two Sides of the Same Coin

Start from the beginning

Draco opened his eyes and gingerly inched towards the edge of the bed. With a disgruntled little huff, Harry tightened his arm around Draco's waist, grazing his lips against the blond's hipbone.

"Where you goin'?" Came the sleepy mumble.

Draco shifted, leaning down to whisper into Harry's ear, "Loo." He carded his fingers through Harry's thick, glossy mane, pressing soft kisses onto his cheek. "Go back to sleep."

"...'Kay..." Harry murmured, loosening his hold on the blond's waist.

Draco slipped off the bed and stood, gazing down at Harry as he slept. He looked so peaceful; the fine lines of tension on his face had eased. Harry looked much younger like this, so unlike the boy who had been forced to grow up too fast in order to save the rest of the world.

Draco wondered if he looked just as innocent as Harry did in his sleep; if he looked just as untainted. He hoped he did.

Draco crouched beside the bed, shivering as the encroaching cold licked at his naked skin. He reached out and softly ran his fingertips along Harry's jaw; his eyes tracing every single detail of Harry's face.

"Harry..." Draco whispered. He received no response, but he didn't seem to mind. "I love you, you know?" He breathed, nearly inaudible; moisture pooling in murky, gray eyes. "And I hope you could forgive me..."

Draco lowered his head, tears spilling down his gaunt cheeks.

* * *

On the third week of December, Hogwarts was abuzz with infectious holiday cheer. Couples could be found snogging in numerous alcoves, underneath mistletoes. Enormous wreaths and sparkling tinsel adorned every inch of the castle; even the places that were still in the midst of being rebuilt. It was entirely overdone. The effort made it abundantly clear just how hard people were trying to get past the horrors of the War.

The appalling size of the Christmas tree seemed to be double what it had been in the previous years, if that was at all possible. Staring at it now, where it towered majestically behind the staff table, Draco was sure he'd never seen anything so—Draco frowned. He couldn't even find the appropriate word to describe it.

Draco flinched when he felt a pointy elbow dig into his ribcage. Wrenching his dazed stare from the massive Tree, he arched an eyebrow at the culprit—Pansy.

"Eat." She glared, nodding pointedly at Draco's untouched breakfast. "You're literally skin and bones, Draco." She cast a casual glance down the Eighth Year Table and shared a polite nod with Harry. "Potter can't even eat from worrying over you." Pansy added under her breath.

Draco picked up his fork, purposely speared a piece of potato, and took a bite. He lowered his head, looking over at Harry through his lashes. The Gryffindor was idly pushing beans around his plate; a tight frown furrowing his brow as he cast worried glances at Draco.

With a sigh, Draco picked up his tea and took a small sip; his eyes once again drifting towards the Christmas Tree.

"A bit much, isn't it?" Draco mused allowed after a moment.

Blaise raised an eyebrow and eyed the Tree. "Yes. Quite garish." He shrugged and went right back to buttering his toast.

Draco hummed distractedly, setting his teacup down; his gaze wandering over to Hermione. She was shoving books into her bag, apparently getting ready to leave. They had Advanced Arithmancy Studies next. It would be his chance to talk to her alone.

Draco stood up, slinging his rucksack onto his shoulder, ignoring his uneaten breakfast. Pansy sighed as she grabbed her own things. Blaise just looked bored as he nibbled on his toast. Harry stared at Draco's untouched plate of food, looked up, and frowned in disapproval.