Chapter 1

Life.
It doesn't go well, unless you want it to.
It's full of stress, anxiety, crying, laughing, breaking down and all the rest.
There's some good days, mostly bad.
And this ended up being the worst day of my life.
I woke up at exactly 6:15 am, the usual time I get up to get ready for school.
By 7:30am I was ready, I was wearing a black top, dark ripped jeans, a yellow oversized hoodie and black converse. As I was about to leave, I decided that I wasn't going to survive without at least something to eat, so I grabbed a cereal bar, my denim backpack and said goodbye to my mom as I headed out the door.
I walked to school and at exactly 7:45 am, everyday for the past 7 years, I have gotten a text from Millie, my best friend.
But today, I didn't.
And I felt it deep inside, I knew something was wrong, but I just pushed it away.
She probably just slept in, she should be in school by the time I'm there.
I thought to myself.
So I continued walking, with my earphones in, trying to get my mind off of my thoughts that went through my head, the entire way to school.
Finally, I arrived at school at 8 am, 15 minutes before classes start. I go to check the parking lot,
But her car isn't there.
And as soon as I saw her space empty, my anxiety started growing, my stomach felt like a ball of fire was intensely growing every second.
I quickly took out my phone from my coat pocket, almost dropping it, and started calling Millie, but she wasn't answering.
I could hear the noise of people behind me, as more and more people arrived at school,
But it all the sound was muffled, the only thing I was focusing on was the ring of the phone.
Still no answer.
I decide to stand there, taking deep breaths, pushing all the possible bad thought out of my head.
I looked around, trying to see if I could find the rest of our friends, Finn, Caleb, Noah and Gaten.
Finn, Caleb, Noah and Gaten were the only people millie and I could always hang about with and not get judged for being our weird selves, because they were their weird selves too.
I start walking around as I see Finn, his black curls getting in his eyes.
Beside him stands caleb, his dark skin glowing in the slight sun. Gaten, probably talking about something completely random as he shows his toothless grin, and Noah jumping in excitement.
Just as I start walking towards them, Caleb notices me and gives me a big, warming smile.
His smile makes my mood lighten up a little, I smile a genuine smile.
"Hey Sadie!" Caleb says as I reach them.
"Hey." I reply, still worried.
"Everything okay?" Finn asks intently.
I startle for a moment. "No, have you guys heard from Millie? She didn't text me this morning and she's still not at school, and I'm just really worried."
All their faces turn from happy to worried.
"No I haven't, have you guys?" Noah says, looking at the rest of the guys, but they all shake their heads.
The fire in my stomach grows even more.
"Oh no no no, she must be okay right? Maybe she's just slept in I-I don't-"
"Hey Sadie calm down." Caleb interrupts me as he puts his hand on my back. "I'm sure she's fine, maybe something just happened in her family or she's stuck in traffic. You'll definitely hear from her later." He says as he rubs his hand on my back in comfort.
I look at all the boys looking at me, with a sympathetic smile.
Except Finn.
I knew Finn had the same feeling in his stomach. His face showed the same expression as mine.
Millie and Finn had been together for a few months, and only I knew about it.
He made her so happy, it made me happy.
And I knew, he didn't get a text from her this morning either.
"Finn, can I talk to you for a second?" I ask Finn, as everyone else looks confused.
"Yeah, of course." Finn replies as he starts walking away from the group.
I follow after him.
As soon as we're away from the rest of the boys, I start talking.
"You didn't get a text from her either, did you?"
He stops.
"No, no I didn't and I'm worried Sadie, so so worried, it's not like Millie you know? If she was sick she would've told us, if something happened with her family, she would've told us or even just you. But she hasn't. I haven't heard from her since last night and I have this feeling deep inside my stomach telling me that something is wrong. I just know it." Finn rants as tears start to slightly appear in his eyes.
"It's like a fire growing in your stomach huh?" I reply looking directly into Finn's dark brown eyes.
"Exactly."
"I just really hope we hear from her soon you know? Maybe something did happen in her family, I just hope it's nothing too bad." I say as  I check the time on my phone.
8:14am.
"Well we better get going class is about to start. Let's try not to worry too much about it okay?" I tell Finn as we start walking.
"Yeah, thanks Sadie." Finn says as he pulls me in a hug.
I hug back, as I feel a slight relief.
Maybe everything will be okay.
I couldn't be more wrong.
*****
Anddd the book has begun!