Author's Note

Author's Note

"I turned in to the games one mid-day hoping for a little wit and humor there. I was bitterly disappointed. It was really mere butchery. The morning's show was merciful compared to it.Then men were thrown to lions and to bears: but at midday to the audience. There was no escape for them. The slayer was kept fighting until he could be slain."Kill him! Flog him! Burn him alive" was the cry: "Why is he such a coward? Why won't he rush on the steel? Why does he fall so meekly? Why won't he die willingly?"Unhappy that I am, how have I deserved that I must look on such a scene as this?Do not, my Lucilius, attend the games, I pray you. Either you will be corrupted by the multitude, or, if you show disgust, be hated by them. So stay away."

- Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC - 65AD) 

 * * *   

This story is entirely fictional. Whilst the historical framework (the inaugural games, Ludus Magnus, Emperor Titus etc.) is based on real historical events - although Titus did not have a sister called Pompeia! - everything and everyone else is fictional. 

I hope this book gives it's readers some enjoyable reading. 

As the first part of this series comes to an end, all the major characters are now in flux.They are frustrated, angry, unsettled and displaced as they all search for a place in the world, or in the history books.

I hope you shall all stick with them as they continue on their journey to freedom, redemption and vengeance.
I know how much all of you are calling for Pompeia's 'head on a stick' however I found that in real life the villians always seem to thrive rather well and wanted to portray that sense of realism to the story, henceforth, why Pompeia has not died(. . .  yet?).

Finally, although I may not respond to them all, each and every one of your comments has been seen by myself and has made me smile. Just seeing the sheer amount of debate that occurs in the comment box on Wattpad has made publishing this book worthwhile.

I would have been amazed if only a handful of people read this book and found it only mildly interesting, but to log on to Wattpad and see the amount of comments and votes at the end of each chapter was breathtaking. I just wanted to thank each of you for that. 

However, it also had the side effect of making me afraid of some of my readers; I feel like if I make a wrong move a rebellion of readers shall take place and I will be drawn and quartered for my actions!

I truly adore all of you for taking the time to read my piece of work when you could be reading something so much better!

I cannot wait to start writing the next instalment.

Thank you for your support.

 All my (and Artorius's) love, 

Melissa

P.s. Please find below a list of some of the songs I listened to whilst writing this book! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. 

Bowling for Soup – Girl all the Bad Guys Want

Tenacious D – Tribute

Ed Sheeran – Lego House, I see Fire

Green Day – American Idiot

Smash Mouth – I'm a Believer

Avicii – Hey Brother

Daughtry – Undefeated, Wild Heart, Battleships, I'll Fight.

Foy Vance – Be the Song

Barenaked Ladies – One Week

Icona Pop – I love it

Enya – May it be, If I could be where you are.

Blake Shelton – Who are you when I'm not looking?

The Civil Wars – Poison & Wine

Joshua James – Crash this Train

Les Miserable Cast – Do You Hear the People Sing?

Matchbox Twenty – She's so Mean

A Great Big World ft. Christina Aguilera – Say Something

UPDATE:

The following two sequels have been posted. This is the first book in the trilogy.

1. Gladiator of Rome.

2. Guardians of Rome.

3. Descendants of Rome.