Chapter 27

We were standing in a glade, an open field ringed with tall trees. Aiden was leaning against a tree, looking thoroughly bored, while Arden and I were listening attentively to Birch.

"So, Princess-"

"Elvina."

"Elvina, you say you have no power." "I don't." "How do you know?" I stared at him. "I can't do anything others can. I can't even lift one bit of dirt."

"There are other kinds of powers."

I stared some more.

He sighed. "Okay. Answer this: Where did elves come from?"

"Um..." Was I supposed to know? Elves were always just there. Birch answered himself. "From Nalvia. From the Forest. So, listen carefully, elves' spirits are tied to Nalvia. The Forest Spirit. Which means that, in a way, elves have some power over the Forest. Not the earth, the ground, but the actual Forest."

"Which explains how you used the trees."

"Yes. And this power should be stronger in you. You are the rightful heir to the Forest, you know."

"Which would be useful, except for the fact that I don't have any power."

"You think you don't have any power. But you do." I sighed. "Then why hasn't it ever shown? Every time I've tried something, why hasn't it worked?" "You weren't aware of it, so it didn't show itself." "Alright, fine. But if it still doesn't work?"

He sighed. "You're already connected to the Forest. Shall I show you how?"

I shrugged.

"It'll hurt." He walked over to a nearby tree and grabbed a branch. I realized what he was going to do. "No, don't-"

He snapped the branch.

The pain was instantaneous.

Spasms racked my head as I fell onto my knees. One of my headaches. But this was strong.

I barely registered Arden running to me and saying something. Birch was standing near the tree.

Then, suddenly, it stopped.

I stood up, gasping, with Arden's support. "Are you okay?" he said. "What was that?" I glared at Birch.

Somehow he'd reattached the branch to the tree. That was when my headache had ended. "You see? You're connected to the Forest so much that if one branch of one tree breaks off, you feel the pain!"

"So...all my headaches...are caused by this?" "Well, yes," Birch answered, "But it also depends on distance and intensity. If you had been in the palace while I broke this branch, I doubt you'd have felt anything at all. And if I plucked one leaf, it would hardly have any impact on you."

"All right. I believe you. Now what?"

"Well, you should know that since you are the rightful heir of the Forest, this Forest is your birthright. That doesn't mean just the trees. It means the Forest ground, grass and trees. And also the Forest air, Forest water...you should be able to control it all. Everything belonging to this Forest is under your control."

This was a lot to take in. Me, who'd never had any power, supposedly able to control so much? I couldn't stop myself from doubting. "What if nothing works?"

Birch grinned. "We'll just have to try and see, won't we?"