Chapter 4

Not a minute after Forreston left, two guards entered the room.

Without knocking.

"Your Highness, it is required you come to the Ceremony." I nodded regally and walked out, the train of my green gown sweeping after me. The guards followed a respectful distance behind me.

I preferred to go as a prisoner, with two guards flanking me, than as a princess with my half-brother escorting me.

We walked through the palace. Everyone bowed as I went by, but they made no effort to hide the pity in their eyes. That was all I had.

Pity.

No one bothered to tell me to stay strong, to keep fighting. I supposed I would have to tell myself that. Because I was strong. Yes, I might not have had any power, but that didn't matter. Because I was naturally a fighter. And I wouldn't back down to anyone. Least of all my mother. 

I walked down the hallway, and we finally reached the Clearing.

My mother, and Forreston, were already there. She sat in the center, on the Throne. Elves had worked long and hard to make that throne. It was made of twigs, and leaves, and red berries, arranged flatly, in concentric circles, so as to not poke the ruler's back.

She didn't deserve to sit on that throne.

Forreston was standing on her left, a sword sheathed at his hip. He glared at me as we came in. Her advisers, including Sir Branch, were standing on the side.

The pink and  white petals from the ever-blooming cherry blossom trees, on either side of the platform, rained down on them.

I climbed up the steps, to go stand next to her throne like Forreston, on her right. I had always made some distance between her and myself in these occasions. As I reached the Throne, I stopped again, a little bit away. 

She noticed, of course, but she couldn't say anything there.

I turned my head and faced my people. All the elves were gathered below the platform. Well, not all. Just the wealthy nobles, who were fine with supporting anyone, even my mother, if they could keep their wealth.

So my real people weren't there. I'd have to bear through another of these ridiculous Ceremonies.

Sir Branch stepped up in front of the Queen. "And now, your Queen, Queen Ivy, will address all elves!" He shouted magnificently.

The elves clapped politely.

Ivy gave him a regal nod, and stepped up from her Throne. Branch walked to the side.

He seemed strangely pleased about something.

Ivy began talking, "Elves! I, your Queen, Ivy, have dedicated my life to this Throne!" 'Yes, and killed your daughters for it.' I thought. "Even upon the demise of my husband, I have ruled you well!" Please. She went off on a long monologue on how she had kept our Forest in harmony and peace, and that she had sacrificed so much for the Throne.

I couldn't bear to listen.

Finally, when I started listening again, she was saying, "So, for the good of our Forest once more, I have made a decision. Soon, Prince Forreston will come of age. Hence, six days from today, he will be crowned King!"

I could only feel the cherry blossom petals falling softly on my skin.