Chapter Eight The Gym

When I awoke groggily the next morning for school, he was gone. I couldn’t expect him to stay all night. There was a note on my pillow from him saying that he had to step out for a change of clothes but would be there to pick me up for school and I smiled as he signed it ‘I love you my sweet’. Ya super cheesy but it sent butterflies flying in my stomach.

I stretched out and yawned and dragged myself into the shower. I got dressed for school casually in jeans and a stylish t-shirt and some flat shoes. I only put on the lightest of make up to take the sleep out of my face. I made myself a bagel with some cream cheese for breakfast and a mug of coffee. When it was about 30 minutes until my first class a soft knock came on the door. I grabbed my things and went to open it for Ayden.

Unfortunately it was not Ayden but Josh. I quickly got on the defensive and snapped at him right away. He looked upset about something.

“What do you want?” I asked annoyance dripping in my voice.

“I just wanted to apologize. Jen and I got in a fight and well I know something is not right with her friendliness to me. I also wanted to tell you that she has some plan to hurt you at the dance,” he seemed genuinely ashamed of himself.

“Ya I already know that,” snapping, as I exited my house and locked the door behind me. Him being here was beginning to annoy me. How could he do that to me even though we weren’t close friends and he never was my boyfriend. I had to know.

“Why?” I asked boldly and he sighed knowing exactly what I meant.

“I was jealous and mad at myself for not having the guts,” he said so carefully. I relaxed a little at his confession. Ayden had pulled up then now in his car but not the corvette thank god, I didn’t want to arrive at school the first time as an official couple in that flashy thing. He must have money or his parents did since he apparently had more than one car at his disposal. My mood relaxed.

“It would never have worked Josh, I just don’t feel that way about you,” he nodded in understanding.

“I know, but I will always be a friend to you,” he said sincerely. I nodded and believed him.

“Well give me some time to forgive your involvement with Jen that hurt,” I said honestly.

“No problem, I will see you later then,” Ayden had stayed waiting by his car. When Josh passed by him a few words between the two were exchanged that I could not hear and I got nervous but they shook hands and Josh continued to his car and left. I raised an eyebrow that was interesting. I began to walk towards Ayden standing by the car curious.

“What did Josh have to say?” I demanded innocently. Ayden just shrugged.

“Just an understanding between us,” he smiled slyly at me as he opened the passenger door for me. I gave him a dirty look narrowing my eyes at him and he laughed.

“So a different car?” I chided.

“Ya, I didn’t want to be flashy given recent events,” he smiled warmly at me thinking of those recent events.

“That was what I thought as well,” and then we were off to school running a bit late. He held my hand as he drove the whole time swirling his thumb in circles on my palm. I was quite fond of him doing this it was soothing and it always seemed to emanate our connection and it relaxed me.

I didn’t even care what others would think. I just was happy for Ayden and me and just us for once. Beth of course would be ecstatic. Once we got out of the car at school, he came around to me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. Everyone was starring and looking at us. Me the girl who didn’t date was now openly with the most gorgeous guy to ever walk into our school. Now I was getting nervous.