The Day Of Doom

I had never felt so nervous in my life before. My vision had gone all blurry and my thoughts where nothing more than a small whispering in my head. I knew I had to move and do something to stop the chaos around me – but I was just standing there like a pillar, with everyone passing me by. I felt like I was running out of breath, so I closed my eyes and tried to focus on breathing.

When I opened my eyes, I was ready – ready to fight the beast.

It all started when I was on my way to a very important job interview. I had just moved to this town and have had difficulties to find a new job. To be honest I thought it would be much easier. But what can I say? This town hasn't been waiting for me. I'm just like everyone else in this town – not special at all.
Well – at least this is what I thought back then.

So, innocent little me was just on his way to the subway station as some strange looking woman pulled me over into a dark corner, just as I arrived the end of the stairs. With her breath smelling like rotten flesh she said: "You are the key! The key! Thank god you finally have arrived!" "You must be confusing me with someone else miss", I interrupted her. But she didn't listen to me and just spoke louder and very desperately. "You, my son, you have to save us all. You must fight the beast when it awakens! You're the only one who can do it. But beware! The monster is very angry! Oh no ... don't speak to loud", she started muttering, "go now Sir, it just woke up ... go ... and remember to not look back!"

With these words, the woman disappeared and left me alone in the dark corner. Something told me she was speaking the truth, although I knew she must have been crazy. But as I walked down to the station people came running in the opposite direction. Everyone was screaming. I pushed though the horde of humans to see wheat was going on – and then I saw it. And HEARD it. Suddenly my blood was freezing in my veins, because I knew, that the strange women was right.

SeitenumbruchI never wanted to know what sound a body makes when it's cracked open, let alone to seeing it. Sitting on the tube, the creature pleasurably picked person after person, as they ran out of the wagon, spitted them into bite-sized pieces and swallowed those smacking. As it seemed not to be in a hurry, quite allot people managed to escape. I knew that the stream of people would stop soon and if I wouldn't get moving I was going to get noticed of the monster. How was I supposed to be some kind of hero? Only thinking of fighting that beast was making me feel dizzy. I wasn't able to do anything else than staring, distressed, at that thing in front of me. Despite it seemed to be really strong, as it was quite muscular, it also was really slender. It had four legs, each with horrifying long claws, a tail with sharp looking spikes, on the tails ending something that looked like an enormous sword. The head of the creature seemed a little bit too big compared to its body and it could've looked almost cute with the big ears, if there wouldn't have been those wide eyes, glowing in a dark, intensive red and the fangs, tainted with blood.

After I realised that I was staring and all the less people bumped into me, I startet looking around for some weapon I could use. I needed to think logically and – most important – fast. There was nothing of interest lying around, so I started looking at the people passing me by in haste. I saw a man, carrying a briefcase and considered asking him if he got anything sharp in there. But just then I spotted a young woman with a long bag, which probably was a clarinets or transverse flute case. I hoped for the last one, as it was made of metal. She almost ran me over as I stood in her way and then looked me over with a gaze of irritation and shock. I could tell she was terrified to the bones – well who wouldn't be after facing such a scenario. Frankly I wondered why I was so damn calm. I put on what I thought was a convincing smile and reached for the case. "May I borrow this?", I asked her. She looked down at the case as if she didn't know where it came from, then back to me and back to the case. I leaned in and gripped the bag softly, to make her understand what I just asked her. Without saying a word, she let go of the instrument case and started making her way out, still looking at me in confusion.

My satisfaction after opening the case and seeing that it really was a traverse flute quickly fainted when I realised that I was the only one left. Not only the people had gone, I too couldn't make out where the beast was. Holding the instrument firm in both hands I looked at my surroundings, but besides the blood-stained tube, walls and floor there was nothing to see. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and another one, when I realised it: The monster was standing right behind me, I could feel it's warm breath against my neck. I didn't dare move. I imagined how it ripped me apart like the other people. I forced myself to not think about it. Why wasn't it attacking me? Was it mucking me? Well, that would be a scuzzy sense of humour. I closed my eyes and tried to focus – I ran though the movements I was going to make after I'd turned around.

As I opened my eyes again I was ready. Turning around fast I swung the flute towards the spot I believed the monster was. I was quite surprised as I stuck it right in its face. It tumbled back and seemed somehow affected by the silver the instrument was made of. Letting out a shriek it dashed at me. I tried to avoid the blow but I was too slow. The monstrosity snatched at me, I could barely prevent getting my face bitten of. I cried out, as the claws bored into my back, desperately trying to break out of this deadly embrace. Glowing eyes full of greed and hot breath reeking of gore, combined with agony was all the world seemed to be consisting of. My hands could no longer hold my claimed weapon against my enemy and I slowly watched it slip away. The beast seemed to be laughing at me. Laughing at my weakness. I shouldn't have turned around. That's what the strange women had said.

Just as I let go of my defence and closed my eyes, waiting to be ripped into pieces I felt the weight on my chest lifting. Astonished I discovered said women wildly fighting with the monster. She had cramped herself on the back of the beast which was where it had two sharp, horn-like outgrowths. I realised this was my chance to escape but the way out was blocked by the two of them fighting. So, I dragged myself into the next wagon of the tube which was still standing there with doors opened. I hardly managed to get inside, as I heard an eerie cry of the woman and some other sounds which let me comprehend that the lady just had been killed. Breathing heavily, I waited. I can't tell what exactly I was waiting for; probably death. Suddenly I realised that I took the flute with me. The material seemed to harm the beast, I remembered. Maybe there was still a chance left.

I struggled to my feet and started walking out again. This time I would face it straight – no turning back, no running away. It was all or nothing. I looked around, my vision dizzy (I must have lost a lot blood). There It sat, on top of the tube again, like the first time I've seen it. It was occupied with eating the last bits of the women who came for my rescue. A sudden anger arose inside me, all I wanted was to kill that thing. It looked up as it has finished his meal. "I won't be your next prey", I said. My voice sounded unfamiliar to me. I realised a scar at the monster's hip as it rose. It jumped down the tube towards where I was standing, its claws reached out for me. But this time I was prepared. I took a step aside and right after it had landed I aimed for the wound. The metallic instrument right away bored itself inside the flesh. And it seemed to be steaming! With a nasty smell, the blood of the creature started to boil and it winded in agony. I stepped back, watching in astonishment how the wretch in front of me slowly died. I was waiting for it to stand up again; it was just so hard to believe it was all over. But as some time later nothing happened I started to make my way out the underground, deeply in thought. Had I just saved humankind?