The proposal

There is no comfort to be found in similarity, no desire in eyes that mirror your own.

She was young, and ignorant, she was whole, laugh lines added such beauty to her face, light simply radiated off of her.

The scars that marred his handsome face clearly displayed the wear the years had on him, he was broken, broken beyond repair, he was wise, wise in the truth of what the world holds in its atmosphere, wise in the knowledge of what humans truly are in their heart of hearts, he was plagued by darkness, both in and around him.

There is no desire in eyes that mirror your own, but as her blue eyes gazed into his of amber, they were the only ones in the world.

"Yes, Yes!"

He hadn't even flicked open the ring box, but she already had tears cascading down her face. He spoke, he spoke words he hadn't consented to speak. Yet there he was, Remus Lupin, a werwolf, 36 years of age, spilling his heart out to this 23 year old woman.

She didn't turn him down, on the contrary, she accepted his proposal without a moment of hesitation.

As he shakily slipped the ring onto the finger of Nymphadora Tonks— soon to be Lupin— he was not yet haunted by the inescapable thoughts of the threats he posed to her.

Those thoughts, unfortunately, were an inevitable part of the short time that the couple was granted.