Chapter 20:

They flew for hours through space. At some point, Don fell asleep, his dreams troubled and odd. However, it was the first relatively-undisturbed sleep he'd had since the attack on Barank, and when he woke, he felt pleasantly fuddled. Xander was shaking his shoulder. "We're nearing our destination, according to our illustrious captain," he said sarcastically. "Sleep well?"

Don nodded, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "Yeah. Well enough. You?"

"I slept too much before," he said, chuckling. "Everybody else was sleeping too, though."

Don stood up, stretching. "Least I wasn't the only one," he yawned. "I'm ready to go."

Xander laughed. "You look it. Maybe you should open your eyes before we move on."

Don frowned at him jokingly, hoping to get Melody to laugh. The doctor's eyes were locked on the cryogenics chamber and she didn't even seem to realize the others were talking. The disappointment he felt at not getting through to Melody far transcended professional. He was surprised to find that he was becoming drawn to the others in their ragtag band of ... what were they? Rebels? Fugitives? He didn't know anymore. What he did know was that he wanted to make sure they all stayed safe.

But he'd already failed in that, hadn't he? Chris was beyond help. She would wake up, years from now, completely without any friends or family around to help her adjust. He knew that was what was bothering Melody. It wouldn't have been so bad for her if Chris had actually died. At least then there wouldn't have been the uncertainty of what she would wake up to a hundred years from now.

The door to the cockpit slid open and Veerna and Suzan came out. Suzan looked uncomfortable, and oddly enough, Veerna did too. Maybe they'd conversed while in there. If they had, Don didn't think it had gone very well. "Ready?" he asked them both.

"We were waiting for you, Sleeping Beauty," Veerna replied, smiling a little. It was less of a vindictive smile than it normally was. "Are you ready?"

Don nodded, glancing out the window curiously. All he could see was the usual metal wall of a landing bay. "Where are we?" he asked.

For some reason, Veerna frowned. "You'll find out," she said. "Let's go."

They all went to the door, but Melody stayed where she was. They all looked at her in confusion. "I'm not going," she said softly. "I'll wait here with her."

"Mel, I hate to say it, but it won't do you much good," Veerna said. "Just come with us. You can't do anything for her by staying here."

"I don't want her to be alone," Melody insisted. "You don't need me. I'm going to stay with her."

"Are you ... are you sure?" Don asked feebly. It didn't feel right to leave her alone in the ship, even if there wasn't anything that could threaten her there—hopefully. After Flint, he just wasn't sure anymore.

Melody nodded stubbornly. "I don't care if she knows or not," she said. "I won't leave her alone."

Veerna shrugged. "Well, we aren't going to force you," she said, though she didn't sound particularly happy with the change in plans. Frankly, she didn't sound happy about any part of the situation at all. "Everyone else will come with me, then." She opened the door of the ship and marched out.

Don shrugged at Xander, who snorted and went out first. Suzan and Yulia followed, and with a final look at Melody, Don went last and sealed the door behind them.