Chapter 16:

"This way," Flint said. He led Melody, Chris, and Suzan through the streets, expertly dodging all the streets the ships seemed to be targeting. He barely seemed to be fazed by the people blasting his planet to pieces. Neither did Suzan, to be honest, but Chris assumed she was more concerned about the immediate danger of her brother dying from his injury than the rest of them getting shot to ribbons.

Chris, for her part, was just trying to keep Melody safe. Every time she heard one of the ships fire, she flinched and did her best to conceal Melody with her own body. The doctor was trembling, terrified, and Chris pulled her along by her arm, practically dragging her. No matter how scared Melody got, Chris was not leaving her behind.

A ship flew uncomfortably close over their heads, causing all of them—aside from Flint—to duck down. Melody gave a whimper, covering her head, but Chris towed her along. They hadn't been shot, they were still alive, they had to keep going. And she did; she kept dragging her sister along, no matter how much it might be hurting her arm, no matter how much Melody cried. Because pain and discomfort were much better than one of those ships marking the girl as a target and tearing her to pieces.

Corpses littered the roads. Buildings collapsed around them, puffing up smoke and fire like volcanoes. Smoke was everywhere, up in the sky, forming clouds and haze. Ashes flecked Melody's hair and covered Suzan's lab coat. Flint kept walking, undisturbed by flames and smoke, giving no signs of tiring even with Xander held in his arms. The security officer hadn't made a sound, probably still thoroughly unconscious. Chris tried not to think that it might be the alternative—that he was dead, not unconscious. Surely Flint would have mentioned if Xander had died in his arms.

"Here." Flint's voice cut through the chaos of explosions and gunfire around them. He was motioning to a small opening in the street, holding the door open for them.

"That's the entrance to the hospital?" Suzan asked, disbelieving.

Flint gave her an annoyed look. "If it was above ground, it would be turned to ash by now," he said. "This planet's been attacked by space pirates before, you know."

Suitably chastised, Suzan fell silent. Flint went in first and Suzan followed at his heels, unwilling to let her brother out of her sight for more than a few seconds, probably. Holding Melody by her shoulders, Chris and her sister went through at the same time. Chris paused only briefly at the door to tug it closed, leaving the destruction and death behind them.

. . . . . . . . .

"VEERNA!" Yulia screamed, instinctively latching onto Don's sleeve. Blinded by the explosion and the rubble that was sent flying, he could do little but cover his eyes and wait until he could see again.

When the dust finally settled, Don made out a crumpled form in the streets. His heart seemed to enter his throat as he shoved Yulia behind some of the rubble and ran out onto the streets. He ignored the ships flying overhead as he sprinted to Veerna's side, falling onto his knees when he came to her.

Black blood covered her body. The ugly charred brand on her neck was flaking and bleeding, her clothes ripped. But she groaned when Don laid his hand on her shoulder, and he breathed a quick prayer of thanks. "Veerna, wake up. We need you. Veerna!"

The Voldinian didn't respond. She was out cold, likely from the blood caked on her forehead. Could nothing be easy? Grunting from exertion, Don put his arm under her knees and armpits and lifted her up, cradling her like a child. She gave a small huffing sound, as if she was annoyed with him, but didn't wake.

Moving awkwardly from his burden, Don made his way back to Yulia. The little girl was cowering behind the rubble, but she did look up when he crouched beside her. "Can you move Veerna's head to my shoulder?" he asked.