Chapter 8:

Sareen had expected to be taken to the cells, but for some reason, Rulon separated her from Chris and motioned for the men to bring her along. She watched him with a frown but went willingly. There was little use in antagonizing Rulon; if she could keep herself on his good side, a chance to escape might present itself. Her two guards brought her along after Rulon, through the halls.

Finally, they took her through a door into what seemed to be Rulon's office. It was the most posh room on the slave ship, from what she'd seen. It was furnished with a leather chair and a maple desk, shining in the brightly lit room. A plush carpet spread until just a few inches shy of the steel walls, offering a splash of blue color in the silver of the room. Sareen stood in front of the desk as Rulon went to his leather chair, opening a screen on his computer.

Finally, he looked up at her, as if only just noticing she was standing there. It took immense self-control not to kick through the screen of his computer. The two guards left, leaving Sareen alone with Rulon. Her hands were still cuffed behind her. "Commander Sareen," Rulon said, his voice neutral. "It seems you're growing complacent. Placing your life in the hands of an incompetent Federation doctor? It occurs to me that you wouldn't normally be so careless."

"I'm not sure what you're implying," Sareen said.

"I'm implying that you had ulterior motives to coming here. Perhaps you planned to rescue your cousin ... or finish the job."

Sareen straightened her shoulders, meeting Rulon's eyes with a calm expression. "You know nothing of me," she told him.

"Have I struck a nerve, Commander?"

Behind her back, Sareen folded her hands together. "You're going to need to be more specific than that, Rulon. What nerve do you think you've struck?"

Her air of calm seemed to annoy the slaver, who leaned back in his seat. "Why have you come, Sareen? Be honest with me. It was never about rescuing the slaves, was it?"

"What other reason would I have for coming to this forsaken, hideous place?" Sareen asked. "I despise you, Rulon. Everything you stand for is despicable."

Rulon leaned back in his seat, putting his heels up on his desk. He seemed back in control. "Don't beat around the bush, Sareen. I know you came here for a reason. Either you tell me or I'll beat that pilot and the Atonian within an inch of their lives." Sareen raised her eyes to him, keeping her expression even. "There's no need for threats, Rulon. All you had to do was say the magic word and I would've told you." She gave him a sardonic smile. "I came to put an end to Veerna and take the Atonian back to the Federation with me."

"And you planned on arranging for Veerna to be tragically killed trying to escape, hm?" Rulon guessed.

Sareen gave a shrug. "It wouldn't have been so difficult. As far as she knew, I was coming here to rescue her. She wouldn't be expecting a bullet in the back. And if the Wenis disapproved ... they are easily replaced."

"You're a woman after my own heart," Rulon commented with a smile. "Utterly ruthless, if you don't mind my saying. Do you really hate Veerna so much that you would be willing to murder two innocents to kill her?"

Behind her back, Sareen's hands clenched into fists. "You have no idea what I'm willing to do to get rid of her," she growled. "You have no idea what she's done to me."

Rulon cocked his head to the side. "Apparently not," he agreed. "Veerna is worth too much to me to just let you kill her." He hesitated. "However, I might be convinced to make a deal with you, Commander. If you'd be willing to cooperate?"

Sareen raised an eyebrow. "It depends on what 'cooperating' will cost me," she answered. "I know you. Everything comes with a price with you."

Rulon shook his head. "Not this time. I would enjoy seeing blood kill blood, you know."

Sareen tried not to let her utter fury into her eyes. "Veerna is not my blood," she spat. "She lost the right long ago."

Rulon's smirk widened. "One would argue that, no matter what a relative does, they are still related to you," he pointed out.

Sareen's face hardened even further. "Not after what she's done. What do you want from me, Rulon?"

Rulon leaned forward, removing his boots from the desk. "I want," he said, "for you to kill the Wenis when you kill Veerna. Help them escape and shoot them."

"Why?"

The question made Rulon adopt a rather creepy expression. "Oh, I have my reasons. You can take the Atonian with you, if you want. And the pilot girl—she's in the infirmary. Go on, then." He tapped his computer screen, and Sareen's handcuffs clattered to the floor. "Go and kill your cousin, and the Wenis."

The brutal man reached under the desk and pulled out a pistol. With a meaningful look, he placed it on the desk between them and shoved it towards her with one finger. "For you," he said.

She looked at it, not taking it yet. "What makes you think I won't use it on you?" she asked.

"You're smarter than that. My men are right outside the door, waiting to come in and take you down if you even point that thing the wrong way," he replied. "Then you'd really lose your chance of punishing Veerna, and wouldn't that be sad? Take it, Commander Sareen, and end the life of your cousin. I know it's what you want most in the galaxy. The end of Veerna Vold's life of crime."

Sareen swallowed, a dry spot suddenly in the back of her throat. To kill the Wenis would mean ignoring Federation orders. They were very important to the Federation. But surely Veerna was worth their lives? Slowly, she extended her hand and took the gun, sliding it in the pocket of her cargo pants, out of sight. "Very well," she said.

"Remember, this conversation never happened," Rulon warned her. "Otherwise, your precious Federation might find out, and then you'd really be in the soup, hm? Leave." Once again tapping his computer screen, the doors slid open behind Sareen.

She continued looking at him for a long time before taking a deep breath. "Very well," she said again. "I'd like if this was the last time we met." She moved towards the door.

"If it's all the same to you," Rulon replied, "I would like to meet you again sometime."

The door slid shut behind her after she left.