Dumbledore gave him a knowing and patient smile. "Why is it every time I seem to run into you, you're in some kind of trouble?" he asked.

Newt's eyes widened. Maybe it was a reach in the dark, but that sentence had to mean something. Newt had a feeling Dumbledore wasn't just talking about the beast scandal at school – but what happened last time too. When he caught Newt and ______ in the headmaster's office and stunned him, allowing for the two of them to escape. "You remember her then?" Newt asked hopefully. "You know ______?"

Dumbledore sighed, looking over at Abernathy. "Do you mind if I have a word with him in private?" he asked. "I think maybe I can get through to him if I can talk to him one-on-one. Any chance you can let me in there with him?"

Abernathy crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow. "I can let you in there, but I cannot allow you to be alone with him. I'm sorry, standard procedure."

I was afraid he'd say that, Dumbledore thought to himself. He sighed internally, he was really hoping he wouldn't have to resort to the part of his plan he was about to, but it looked like he didn't have any other choice. "Ah, of course. I'm sorry, I don't think I ever caught your name."

"Abernathy," he spoke, straightening his posture. He wanted to look professional as possible. It was getting late, and Abernathy would rather be at home than here given the chance, but he was stuck here. Given orders to "watch the prisoner." To be honest, in his current state they were more worried about him hurting himself rather than others. He didn't seem to be in his right mind. "I appreciate you're staying, and it's been a long journey. Any chance you can get us something to drink?"

Abernathy shook his head a little hesitantly. "I really can't leave you alone with him."

"I'll keep an eye on him, you have my word. I just want to talk to him, and I've come a very long way." Dumbledore tried assuring Abernathy in the nicest, most trusting voice he could muster. All he needed was just a minute or two alone with Newt.

It was getting late, and the older wizard did have a point. He came a long way, he seemed trustworthy, and his credentials seemed to fit. This wasn't the first time he'd heard Albus Dumbledore's name. Even before interviewing Newt, Abernathy had heard his name somewhere. "Alright, I'll be right back. Just... don't cause a commotion and don't tell anyone I allowed this."

"Of course," Dumbledore nodded in agreement as Abernathy walked out of the room. As soon as the door closed, Dumbledore turned his full attention onto Newt. "Listen Newt, we don't have much time, so I need you to let me talk."

"No one will tell me what has happened, and they keep telling me ______ isn't real," Newt told him, ignoring his instruction. "Please just tell me that you remember-"

"Yes, I do. I remember her, but Newt, you need to let me talk. It seems to me you've lost your memory, and I will tell you everything as far as I now, but you need to get out of here first. They're charging you for a crime you didn't commit, and as soon as you give them the information they need, they'll punish you without a trial. Now, I need your help finding out what's going on here, and I can't get that when you're in here, so follow my lead."

Newt nodded and Abernathy headed back into the room carrying two cups of coffee. The smell filled the air as he handed one to Dumbledore. Newt wasn't even paying attention because he had one thought on his mind:

______ was alive.

They had been lying to him. Tina had been lying to him, and that's the part that really caught him off guard. Tina always did what she thought was right, he knew she wouldn't lie to him without a reason. What reason was good enough to lie to him about something like this?

Bad thoughts ran through his mind.

A thud snapped Newt out of his thoughts, and he saw Abernathy fast asleep on the floor. He looked from Abernathy to Dumbledore. "What... how did you..." Newt trailed off.

"I offered him some sugar that had been doused in a sleeping draught. It does the trick. Now, let's get you out of that cell."

Dumbledore raised his wand at the lock and mumbled a spell, and the door flew open. Newt came out as fast as possible and followed Dumbledore as they began to sneak out and through the halls of the MACUSA building. It was late at night, but there were still many people hanging around since there was a crisis in motion. It took them all of ten minutes to get out of there, and the entire time dead silent. Newt had so many questions, so the second they got out of the building and out of sight, he started barraging Dumbledore with all of them.

"What happened? How do you know? Where's ______ gone?" Newt asked all at once.

Dumbledore took a deep breath. "I don't understand why you don't remember Newt, but you were hunting dementors things went wrong. You were attacked, and you and your friend Tina barely made it out with your lives."

"What about ______?" Newt asked. Dumbledore was silent. "Please tell me what happened, where's ______? I won't help you until I know what's happened to her."

Dumbledore hesitated. "My witness said that she was taken. That she was surrounded, and instead of attacking her, she was simply knocked out, unlike anything I've ever seen or heard of before. Then someone came and took her. She's alive, but I don't know if she's hurt or where she is, but I have reason to believe whoever took ______ is behind all of this."

"How can someone be behind dementor attacks?"

"That's what I intend to find out. MACUSA has been calling what has happened Apathy Syndrome, but it's something else."

Newt searched his memory, and as Dumbledore spoke about what happened, images began coming back to him. Just faint images, but he began to remember. He remembered getting attacked and Tina saving him, and he remembered ______ being attacked just before he was out cold.

"What about ______? Why didn't your witness try to help?"

"They couldn't, they're a squib. They couldn't have helped if they tried. Newt, if we find ______, we could find who did this and put this to and end. So I'll ask this: will you help me?"

Newt thought about it, but there wasn't much to think about. He would do anything to find ______. He told her he's protect her, and now she's been kidnapped and his case is gone. Whoever is doing this wanted her for whatever reason, and he will do anything to find her.

"Yes."