Chapter 16

I haven't seen Victor in over a week, I know he's been suspended from school and that's why he's not there. But I've been over to his house a few times looking for him, his car is never there and when I knock at the door asking for him a woman just tells me to get lost.

After what happened the other weekend I didn't think he would be the type to leave me with no notice, but I suppose we weren't really in a relationship.

~

It's now been two weeks since Victor was suspended and I'm hopeful that he'll be in school today. I've had a rough time of it the last few weeks, my life went back to how it was before he came into it. I was always on my own at school, I had no friends and no one who cared about me. The only upside is that JJ also got suspended so at least he can't beat me up. I miss Victor, I really do.

I skulk around school, making no eye contact with anyone and go sit at the back of French class. The atmosphere is light and other people are chatting happily with friends or quickly copying up homework they didn't do. However the seat next to me is empty, I guess victor didn't come back then.

"Bonjour la class." The teacher starts.

I find the lesson boring, I just sit with my head on the desk waiting for it to be over whilst the teacher attempts to get the class to comprehend the concept of the past tense.

Out of the corner of my eye I see the door handle move, the door opens and a boy walks in.

"Je suis désolé je suis en retard" (I'm sorry i'm late) he says and I realise its Victor. But he doesn't look himself, he has bags under his eyes, his clothes are scruffy and his usually perfect hair is messy. He walks slowly to the back of the class looking at the floor and sits down next to me.

"Where have you been, you look dreadful?" I exclaim.

He doesn't reply immediately and looks like he's in a daze so I wave my hand in front of his face and repeat the question again.

"I-I just overslept a little" He says stuttering a little, his tone completely unbelievable.

"Victor please tell me the truth" I ask calmly but he retorts angrily.

"I am telling you the truth! I overslept ok?!"

"Overslept?! Fuck this, theres no way you overslept," I stand up and practically yell at him, "If anything you look sleep deprived. Ive been worrying for weeks." Tears now starting to form in my eyes "You storm away with no explanation. I get no texts. No calls. I don't hear from you in two fucking weeks then you walk in here looking like death and expect me to believe that you overslept?" He just sits there staring at me but doesn't say anything. The teacher at the front of the room is yelling scolding me but I don't listen to what she says, I just stand there for a few minutes waiting to see if I get a response from Victor. When I don't I pick up my stuff and run out of class slamming the door behind me. I hear more shouting behind me but it isn't the teacher anymore, its Victor yelling at the teacher, telling her she should shut up because she wasn't helping the situation. Aww Victorrrr..... he's such a bean.

He then comes running down the hall behind me and touches me on the shoulder. "Yuri I'm sorry" he says apologetically "If I could have called I would have."

"What do you mean if you could have? You have a phone." I spit back at him. But he just looks at me and shakes his head. "Fine then you could have at least given me something, anything, all I wanted was to know that you were ok." I say tears now falling from my eyes.

"I know." He says as he embraces me "I just couldn't..." his voice trails off.

"Why-why not?" I say as I pull back from the hug giving him a hurt look.

Tears start to brim his eyes also "Yuri please understand I never meant to hurt you, its just after the incident with JJ my mother, she was mad so kicked me out."

"Victor..."

"Yuri don't worry about it I'm going to be fine."

"I know you are because you're coming to stay with me, but thats not why I'm upset Victor. Im upset because you never tell me the truth, whenever you're hurting instead of asking for help you hide yourself away until I force it out of you. And I just don't know what to do." I say sharply, he doesn't reply to this but nods.

Victor tells the school he isn't feeling well and we begin the walk to my house. I look over at him and his lips are blue and he's holding his arms around himself, I slip my jacket off and throw it across his shoulders in an attempt to warm him. He gives me a grateful smile then looks back at the ground.

"Yuri seriously you don't have to do this for me, I was fine where I was." He pleads.

"Yes I do. Have you seen yourself Victor, you're a mess and don't look like you've showered, eaten or slept in a week. So instead of feeling guilty about it how about you just thank me?"