Chapter 10. - We're different

Start from the beginning

"We can handle this," Evie said and they got up and started leaving, I went after them before turning around.

"Doug!" He turned around. "I'm not a nice girl." I grinned and ran after the girls, but, sadly, still heard him yell after me.

"Yes, you are!" I groaned but kept running after Mal and Evie. We went to our dorm and got Mal ready. I had picked out Mal's outfit and now Evie was doing her make-up, she had already done Mal's hair. They sat on the edge of Mal's bed and I sat in the middle of the bed with my legs crossed. Evie was applying blush and Mal eventually pushed Evie's hand away.

"Okay, easy on the blush. I don't want to scare him away. Not that I could." She muttered the last part. You've got no idea how right you are, Mal.

"Please, my mom taught me how to apply blush before I could talk. Always use upward strokes." Evie said, applying a little more blush before putting the brush down, moving on to lipstick.

"My mom was never really big on make-up tips. And I never had a sister." Mal said looking at both Evie and me. Evie looked back down at her make-up bag and Mal and I shared a meaningful look.

"Well, now you have two," I told Mal, hiding the smirk that threatened to appear.

"Yeah, and we're gonna need all the family we can get if we don't pull this off. My mother is not a barrel of laughs when she doesn't get her way. Just ask Snow White." Evie told us.

"Are you afraid of her?" Mal asked Evie.

"Sometimes. Are you afraid of your mom?" Evie asked.

"I just really want her to be proud of me. She gets so angry with me when I disappoint her. And yeah, she's my mom, so I know she loves me... in her own way," Mal said, looking down at her hands in her lap for a second. Both Evie and I had the same idea and grab her hands. Mal looked at me.

"And you, Dee? Are you afraid of your dad?" She tilted her head a little and Evie also turned to look at me. I stared off into the distance when I thought about the answer.

"I am, I guess. I mean, a little. I don't really know how I feel about him. I think he cares, but I think that might only be because I'm the next in line for the throne. Just because he's stuck with me. And yeah, he scares me sometimes. When I would mess up in the Underworld, it wouldn't go unpunished. That scares me. That's why we can't mess this up," I told them and then focused back on them. They gave me reassuring smiles and we shared a small hug, but Evie soon pulled Mal away.

"We can't smudge my masterpiece. Now, let's see," She said and lead Mal to the mirror. Mal stood in front of the mirror, shocked. Evie leaned on Mal's shoulders and rested her head on Mal's right shoulder. I stood behind the two on their left with a smile on my face.

"I look-" Mal started, but trailed off.

"Say it," Evie commanded.

"Not hideous." She said.

"Not even close, M," I told her with a smile. There was a knock on the door and I nodded to Mal to get it. She took a deep breath and opened the door for Ben.

"For the first time, I understand the difference between pretty and beautiful," Ben said. Mal snorted a little and I gagged. Evie jabbed her elbow in my ribs and gave me a scolding look. "I hope you like bikes." He said and held out a helmet to her. Mal didn't say anything but took the helmet and left after giving us a look. Evie closed the door and I turned my attention to her.

"So, you and Doug, do tell," I smirked plopping down on my bed. Evie looked startled.

"How...?" She trailed off.