53. SAFETY BLANKET

Jughead when

Jughead when..

Y/N is a new student and has a panic attack..

-

Jughead's POV

With my laptop settled on my lap, I patiently wait for the Math teacher to start the lesson. She stands at the front of the classroom looking between the door and the students. Someone knocks on the door and another teacher walks in.

"Afternoon everyone. We have a new student joining us today. Y/N? Come on in."

Said student walks in slowly, with their head bowed slightly. I look down to her hands which are tightly holding a stack of notebooks. I squint to look at the titles, Science, Math, Astrology, Meteorology and Zoology. Woah.

She looks up a little and scans the room with wary eyes.

"Okay. That's all, Y/N, I'm sure another student will show you around after class if you'd like. Enjoy."

He pats Y/N on the shoulder and then leaves, closing the door behind him. Our Math teacher asks her to wait before taking a seat.

"Uh, before you pick a seat, would you like to introduce yourself? Perhaps tell the class which school you went to first? Why you moved to Riverdale?"

Y/N nods, but she doesn't seem sure. "Y-yes. I, um, I guess. Uh-" She clears her throat. "I- I- my full, my full name.. is Y/N- Y/L/N. And-"

She clears her throat again and I notice that she is starting to shake, and breath more heavily.

Students start to giggle around the room and one person shout outs. "Get on with it!"

Y/N's mouth drops open and she quickly covers it before running out of the room. Everyone goes silent, expect the one rude person again. "What the shit?!"

I feel terrible, watching a new student crumble in front of everyone on their first day. I yell, "Shut up!" To the guy and then I stand up quickly and go to the front of the room.

"Miss, is it alright if I go and check that Y/N is okay?"

"Please do."

-

I find Y/N sitting on a bench outside, head in their hands, breathing heavy and crying. I crouch down in front of her. "What should I do? How can I help you?"

She shakes her head.

"Come on. It's just us two out here. By the looks of the notebooks you were holding up front, I'd say that you're pretty damn smart. So tell me, how do you stop a panic attack? How can I help you?"

She looks up, finally. "I just.. have to.. breathe.. or-or.."

"Or what?"

"I just need.. a dis.. traction.. or something.."

"Okay then. Um, tell me something. What's um, what's your favourite subject out of those books you had?"

"I.. c- can't.. breathe.. right now.. let.. alone.. talk.."

My eyes widen. Very helpful, Jughead. This girl is having a panic attack, and struggling to breathe normally. How on earth is she supposed to have a conversation with you?

"Yep. Yep, good point. Um, um.. Okay, uh. Let me tell you something then. A secret." I close my eyes and slide my beanie off of my head. "Hold this for me."

She takes it hesitantly, with shaky hands.

"I wear this beanie all the time, everywhere. It's sort of a secret but.. I- I usually only take this off around the people I trust. And.. although we just met, I'm putting my trust in you now."

She is leaning on her elbows now, watching me talk. She squeezes the beanie in her hands. Her crying has stopped, but she still cannot breathe calmly.

"There's not much to it. I just wear it as.. what would you call it? Like a safety blanket kind of thing. Something to hide under to make me feel.. well, safe. The fact that you're holding it right now, is actually quite a big deal.. and I feel a little nervous now if I'm honest. So- so may I?"

Her breathing has completely slowed and she sits up straight. She runs her hand over the beanie and the little button on it once more, and then she hands it back to me. "Thank you."

I smile and slide the beanie back over my head. "Do you feel okay now?"

"Actually- I- I do. How..?"

"I told you my secret, and you had something else to focus on.. rather than thinking about what caused you to panic."

She giggles, ever so quietly.

"What? What's funny?"

She wipes under her eyes, and then smoothes a hand over her hair. "This was one hell of a way to make frien- uh- meet.."

I extend a hand to her. "Well.. Jughead Jones, pleased to meet you."

She takes my hand and we shake, before I stand up slowly and help her up with me.

"Y/N Y/L/N. The pleasure is all mine, good sir."

"Come on, I'll walk you back."

-

When we're back in clasa and she's sat in the seat in front of me, I realise that the whole way back here, we didn't release each other's hand.

In confidence, I write her a little note and throw it on to her table. She glances back, smiles, and then writes back.

-

"I hope you're feeling better now.
What do you say, would you do me the honour and join your savior for lunch?

Jughead"

-

"I'm okay, thank you again. You were sweet to help me.
and I accept your offer of lunch.
Y/N."

-