Ch. 9: Gary NOT Ash

Start from the beginning

Misty shrugged off the thought and tried to start a classic conversation between two classmates working on a project. "Why did you skip the two previous days?"

"Just like that." Ash shrugged.

"I'm not giving you a lecture or anything but it's not really good..."

"Yeah, I know, but the weekend wasn't enough."

She giggled. He smiled at her reaction. The waiter came back and placed the coffee in front of Ash, and the lemon pastry and hot chocolate in front of Misty.

Ash's phone started to vibrate on the table right when he took the first sip of his espresso (Misty noted he didn't add the sugar). It flashed the name Bridget.

Ash blinked and answered the call. "Hi Bree."

"Uhm, what's going on?"

Misty watched him closely.

"No, I'm not home. Why?"

"Bridget, are you serious?" Ash let a chuckle. He suddenly got up. "Please tell me she missed the count and she isn't going to give birth on her eight month."

Misty's eyes shot wide. Reese was giving birth?

"You know it doesn't matter as long as it's not the eighth! Quit nagging and tell me where you are now." He exchanged a look with Misty. This latter got up. "Okay. Are mom and dad with you?"

"It's fine. They'll answer later. It's fine." Ash gestured for Misty to collect her things. "No, I'm with Misty."

He pulled away the phone and blinked. "Wow, she hung up." Ash laughed. "The girls are freaking out because Reese is in labor and no one else is answering."

"And you're laughing!"

"Come on! All pregnant women go through labor." Ash collected his stuff as well. "Honestly, I think it's really funny that none of the parents are answering."

"Shouldn't you leave quickly?"

"You too. Come on." Ash placed some bills on the table and held Misty by the hand, rushing out of the café quickly.

So practically, their little date turned into a visit to the clinic. When Ash and Misty got there, Reese was sitting down on her bed, slightly sweaty but still pretty and cheerful like Misty remembers her to be. She was soon going to give birth, but she wasn't all screaming and shouting like the stuff on the TV. Bridget and Lana were still trying to call Reese's husband, Seth.

"Are you okay?" Ash asked Reese. She nodded. "I guess. It hurts but I guess I'll be fine."

Misty watched her in amazement. She couldn't believe she could still look this pretty when she was only a few minutes away from getting a human being out of her body.

"Look at the bright side. Now you'll know if it's a girl or a boy."

Misty put her hand on her forehead. "Ash! Shut up!"

"It's true!"

Reese laughed a bit. "I swear I'm in pain but I can't help but laugh."

"See?"

A doctor suddenly got inside with two nurses. "Mrs. Martinez? Let's go."

"Reese!" Lana butted in suddenly. "Seth answered! He was in a reunion! He's coming right now!"

"Okay, good." It was clear on her that she was only fighting back the pain. The two nurses helped her get up and they left the room.

"Reese? Are you okay? Do you want us to get inside with you?"