That day, when they were back home Cain took the paper guns out of his backpack and they started to run.

Cain forgot about the apples and started running towards Jaquie, trying to catch her, his head hit some apples, and they fell to the floor.

Her grandma came to the yard to see what they were doing and she was angry when she saw the apples on the floor.

- Who did this?- she said.

- It was Jaquie- said Cain, a little scared.

- What?- she was angry- you are so lame!- she screamed and then ran to the bathroom, where she locked herself and started to cry.

Cain and Andrew looked at each other and then started to walk to the bathroom where she was crying.

Cain knocked the door.

- Jaquie? Are you okay?

-Get lost!- she screamed angrily- I don't want to talk to you, go away!

- Jaquie- he mumbled- do... do you wanna be my girlfriend?

She stopped crying and surprised she just opened the door.

- No- she said and the closed it again.

She was locked there a while, she didn't even notice that he was gone and she didn't care, she just went out once her cousin told her that Cain had gone home.

They didn't talk about it much, and Andrew just told her that Cain wasn't thinking about giving up on her. He said it the next day when they were about to enter school and she was never so glad to be in a different class.

When it was lunchtime she just sat in the grass with one of her friends.

Suddenly Cain touches her shoulder and gave her a little box with a card in which a name was crossed with a Sharpie.

-What is this?- she said looking at the little box.

- It's just a gift -he blushed.

She nodded at him and turn to see her friend again, he just left.

-Open it- said Jhoanne, her friend.

Jaquie started to open the little box and saw that, inside of it, there was a lot of makeup, used makeup.

She was certainly a romantic girl, she loved love stories, she dreamed about a handsome boy who would send her gifts and take her hand, and take her to meet his family; but she was really angry with Cain's gift, why would he give her makeup? was he implying that she was ugly?

- Stupid boy- she said while looking at the box- stupid box- she threw it to the grass.

Then she just left with Jhoanne to get back to their classroom.

- Was it really that bad?- her friend asked as they were walking.

- Horrible- she made a disgusted face- I hate him so much.

The story from the day before repeated, as Cain asked her to be his girlfriend when she was just walking to her house, of course, she said no, she was decided to always say no.

But this time, Alex had something to say too, he gave her a flower made out of paper and asked her out too.

- Yes!- she screamed with a big smile

- Cool- he said and then left. She was confused but happy.

Later that day, Andrew was building a big doll house for Jaquie and his little sister.

- I think you were too mean to him- he said while looking at her.

- Are you talking about the gift? it was trash, you know it.

- Maybe, but he worked really hard, I mean he entered in his neighbor's house in the middle of the night just to give it to you!

- What? - She looked at him confused- So he stole it? I knew he is a loser- she just rolled her eyes- That's why I took Alex's flower.

- Jaquie, it was just a bet between them- He was tired of her being mean at his best friend- Cain thought he could win you with a pretty gift- He started to explain as he noticed how confused she was- and Alex said he didn't need anything, not even being nice to you, just a paper flower, so I guess he was right.

That was the first time she felt a broken heart for a long time ago, the last time she felt that sad was a year before when her mom took her away in the morning, her stepbrother was in school and she was wondering why she didn't go with him, her mom was leaving and was taking Jaquie with her .

She never got to see her brother again, she wasn't even able to say goodbye.

The next day she avoided Cain and Alex.

Sometimes she played with them, but it was just one or two days a week.

Cain wanted her to be his girlfriend so bad, but she was not interested, actually, she was afraid of him since her friends told her that he had cut her name on his arm.

Alex left school the next year and Cain left a little after his friend left.

She never saw them again.