Chapter Forty-Nine

Começar do início

"Whatever's fine."

"Don't think we have any 'whatever' left," said Hunter, half-heartedly trying to make a joke. "Do you want some chips or something?"

"I'll just have a grilled cheese. I like grilled cheese. Don't worry yourself." He walked to the bathroom, walking with a limp they hadn't noticed earlier.

Ryan stood up without a word and began to set up the deep fryer. "He likes fish and chips," she said quietly. "I'll make him some fish and chips."

"Honey?" said Hunter.

"Mmm?" she said, not trusting herself to speak without bursting into tears. Seeing Spencer like that had undone her in a way that she hadn't been undone in a very, very long time.

"Are you okay?"

She took a deep breath. "Yep."

"Robin, how long has he been bullied?"

"I didn't know, don't you look at me like that," she said. "You know why he's being bullied, don't you?"

"Of course," said Hunter.

"We should go to the principal," said Ryan shakily, her hand on the knife trembling. "He can't go on like this."

"Put the knife down, darling, I'll do it," said Hunter, standing. "I don't want you cutting yourself by accident."

She shook her head. "I'm fine," she said, though a tear rolled down her cheek. She wiped it hastily and shook her head again. "I swear, I'm fine."

Hunter pursed his lips, before glancing at Robin. She nodded quickly, before leaving the room.

He slowly put his hands on her waist, keeping her steady from behind. "My dove?"

"Yes?"

"Are you okay?"

She nodded tightly, not looking up. She methodically began to cut the fish, before pulling out some eggs and flour for the batter. "Fine."

"Please talk to me," he said softly.

Her lower lip trembled. "What is there to talk about?"

"You're upset."

"I'm fine."

"Don't lie to me," he breathed. "Please. I'm upset, too."

She began to cry silently, though she still refused to look at him. "Why should they be torturing him like that, just because he likes boys?" she breathed, letting out a choked sob. "They're so... so..."

"Cruel," said Hunter softly. "They're children, my dove. They're cruel."

"He's just a boy," she cried, and Hunter pried the knife out of her shaking hands and hugged her close, letting her salty tears soak into the material of his shirt. He stroked her hair gently, absorbing her quiet sobs of pain. She hated seeing any of her children in any kind of pain. He did too, of course, but Ryan was so sensitive to their emotions, and it hurt her more than it hurt them.

They heard the door open again, and Phoenix walked in. "Hey... guys," he said, slowing down and setting his backpack down. "What's going on?"

Ryan sniffled, wiping her puffy eyes and turning back to the fish. "Nothing, darling. Help me make some batter, I'm making Spence some fish and chips."

"Oh, uh... sure. It's just a cup of flour and the salt and pepper, right?"

"Three quarters of a cup of ice water, too. A little bit of beer, or paprika, whatever you can find. And tumeric, it'll make it golden."