-Chapter 26-

Vote if you enjoy!

Draco leads me down corridors and staircases towards the dungeons. I follow, shakily, attempting to keep up with his fast-paced strides. Despite his speed, however, he stops to look around every corner, forcing me to stop just as quickly. Finally, we reach a long stretch of dimly lit hallway, and I can see on the wall at the other end a pair of large, black doors. Draco picks up his pace once again, and I attempt to match it, but my head starts to spin so I am forced to continue at a brisk walk. 

As we draw closer to the doors, I become mesmerised by them. The swirls of black are snakes, curled in or one another and forming numerous elegant knots and images.  The heads of the snakes circle around the door handles. In the dim light, I swear I can see them moving. 

I run into Draco, who stopped to check the corridor running across ours.

"Sorry I-"

He doesn't respond, merely taking my hand. We walk across the corridor, reaching the large metal doors. I step behind Draco as he whispers the password. The snakeheads move, slowly, mechanically, and the doors swing open. 

Draco enters without hesitation, and I tentatively follow. 

The room is large, looming, with stone walls covered in extravagant carvings. The long rectangular room is illuminated by green lights and a series of large intricate windows, through which you can see the swirling waters of the great lake. I shudder as the door behind me closes. Despite the fireplaces on each wall, it's freezing in here. 

When we had entered, I had spotted a few Slytherin students scattered on the ornate lounge chairs and sofas, but as we walk down the room towards the far end, they seem to come out of the woodwork. What was a moment ago five or six people, becomes twenty, thirty, all pooling at the end where Draco and I are headed. I keep my eyes on the floor, waiting for someone to throw me out. Draco stops, and I look up slowly, hanging back as a tall, dark-haired girl stands up and walks over to us, arms crossed. 

"Draco-"

"Let me explain-"

"You know the rules, and frankly, I don't really want to get us in more trouble with Rat Face than necessary just so you can have sex with your girlfriend." 

"That's not what she's here for!"

"Especially since she won't be able to get to your dorm room, and you can't get into the girl's dorms, and after what happened last time we are not evacuating the common room for two halfwits to get it on, capiche?" She finishes. I can feel my face grow red. A couple first years giggle over near the fire. 

"Will you let me explain, Lindsey?" Draco asks, seemingly unperturbed by what Lindsey is insinuating. Lindsey sighs, shifting her weight and giving a singular nod. "She needs somewhere to stay, that's all. You'll probably all hear about it tomorrow, if not tonight, but some shit just went down with a student-run organisation, which, as it so happens, she was involved in-"

"We don't take in lost puppies. Especially not Griffindors. Extra especially if they're Potters, she should have gone to Hufflepuff." 

"She is the one who er-" He glances at me, wincing, "gave them away, I guess, not by choice, mind you, and now all her friends want her head on a stick. She just needs somewhere to sleep, for god's sake."

"Why should we take her in? If she gets caught here, we're all in trouble. Especially me. I'm the first Head Girl from Slytherin in years and I don't want to lose my badge because a Potter couldn't keep a secret." Those words stung. They hit me like a knife in the gut. I take a breath, holding in my tears. Not now. Not while I have an audience. "Not to mention that fact we hardly win the house cup anyway with old beard-face in charge!"