Chapter Twenty-Three: Unlucky Incounters

After everything had somewhat calmed down, we were told to go back to sleep. It was a ridiculous order in my mind. With all the anxiety and apprehension in the air, no one would be able to sleep.

I was right. Everyone went back to bed, but no one actually feel asleep. Eyes of the initiates were darting back and forth, as if they were on lookout for anyone trying to attack them. Even I attempted to peer around the dark looking for any out of place shadows.

My thoughts might've been irrational, but my brain was too filled with fear to care. Both Peter and Drew were gone and there was a high probability that they were the ones who did this. I couldn't calm down until I knew where they were. There was no need to ask their motives so I could skip right pass that in my interrogation.

The interrogation was formulating in my head when Peter and Drew didn't come back to the dormitory. Where were you? How could you? Why would you? Those were only some of the questions I came up with to ask him tomorrow.

The thoughts soon faded out of my head as well as everything around the room. Sleepiness was starting to seep in, though I tried to fight it. Peter's personality could never be predicted and who's to say he wouldn't attack me if he thought I was a threat to his first place ranking.

* * *

The next morning, my body woke up in a panic. I frantically scanned the room before I realized the panic was mostly likely coming from the bad dream I just had. In the dream, Peter and Drew were standing over my bed as I woke up. Peter had the same butter knife in his hand that was found in Edward's eye. Drew quickly put a hand to my mouth to muffle the scream of shock that was going to leave me.

"Don't think being my girlfriend is going to save you from this," the look on his face wasn't Peter at all. There wasn't a trace of a smug smile or a teasing look anywhere on his features. The mask he wore was painted with nothing but insidiousness and hatred. He raised the knife as Drew held me in place and was ready to drive it down until I thankfully woke up.

The thought of facing Peter became harder and harder the longer I pondered over it. Especially after that dream. It made me hesitant to leave in fear I may bump into him.

There was always the option to say in the dormitory all day. In an unusual show of kindness, the Dauntless gave us a day off after last night's events. The plan of not leaving was fine in theory, but the chances of bumping into him in the vast area of the Dauntless compound was highly unlike. If anything, he'd have more of a chance catching me in here.

I hesitantly got out of the room with the rest of the initiates, intentionally squeezing my way into the middle to avoid detection. The only time I broke formation was when the crowd finished getting their breakfast and scattered to get to their tables.

Awkwardly, I'm left in the centre of room. I wasn't sure where to sit with Peter gone and with my withstanding grudge between Christina and Tris, my body would physically not allow me to join them.

My feet made their way to a random table and sat by strangers I didn't remember seeing at all during initiation. They either ignored my presence or just didn't know I was there, but none of them paid me any mind and I was glad for it. At the moment I needed to be on the lookout for Peter so I could avoid him. Not talk to people and let my guard down.

I searched around the room again and let out a sigh of relief when I still didn't see him. I got up to go back into the food line for seconds, not thinking anything of it.

Taking the medal ladle in hand to scoop up some scramble eggs, I felt a pair of arms encircle my waist and dipped their head into the crook of my neck as I left the line. "What a crazy night, huh?" I managed to wiggle out of their arms and turned to face the person, but due to the close proximity, I was staring only at a chest. I took a step back to look at the forest green eyes of Peter. "And how would you know Peter? I don't recall you being there last night." The wide and seemingly innocent smile he was wearing remained prominent on his face. "I was busy," he said, casually shrugging. "Doing what?"

Peter's eyes slightly squinted like he was scrutinizing me and my question. I would be lying if I said the action didn't have both my adrenal glands and neurones working overtime to release adrenaline. "Hanging out with Drew."

The unease coursing through my veins didn't deter me from pressing him further. "Oh, I bet you were," I said skeptically. For the first time since our encounter, his smile dropped completely. "You sound like you're accusing me of something." Though his expression wasn't vicious, or at least yet, I knew Peter's unpredictability. You never knew how he was going to respond to certain situation but you could always expect it to be with some sort of brashness.

A laugh emitted from me, though it lacked mirth. "Sharp like an Erudite I see!" He didn't say anything about the comment, in fact, he didn't react to it at all. "You ruined the life of the only friend I've ever had. Because of you, he's no doubt lost sight in one of his eyes and is now factionless as well. All because of your need to be first?" Sensing the last part of my rant was rhetorical, he didn't answer. "There's a reason you weren't first Peter. You weren't good enough!"

At that, Peter's angelic features turned into blazing furry at his first place rank being questioned. "What's done is done! Edward can't come back so now I am good enough. In fact, my ranking claims I'm the best. And now you're in second. I don't see the problem here!"

I stared at him in disbelief. "If I were the one in first ranking, would you hurt me?" Peter's anger dissipated when the question left my mouth, but he didn't say anything for a while. "Is that what this is about? You think I'd hurt you?" A blank stare from me was apparently enough to answer his question. "No," was his simple reply. "No to what," I couldn't help but challenge his answer. "I would never hurt you. Except when we're fighting in the ring. I'm never going to take it easy on you there." I mirthfully laughed at him for the adding that.

His arms found a way around my waist again and he gave me a short but sweet kiss. I gladly snuggled into his embrace, feeling comforted by his hold.