Chapter Nineteen: Visiting Day

My body violently jerked awake, not immediately recognizing the surroundings of the dormitory until the grogginess cleared from my vision. I sat up and peered around the room absentmindedly, wondering how I made it into bed in the first place.

When the drowsiness was completely flushed from my system, I noticed I wasn't the first one awake like usual. Further down the room Edward stood with Myra, talking as they both got ready. Christina stood in front of her vanity, plucking away stubborn eyebrow hairs. Tris laid in bed, though I knew she was awake because every now and then, she'd adjust her body to pick something off her pillow. Stray hairs I assumed. I threw off the blanket and got ready for what I remembered today was. Visiting Day.

It didn't occur to me that it was today until I noticed the deafening silence of the room. The silence was accompanied by somber faces on almost everyone's face. Peter (who had woken a few minutes after me) didn't even wear his usually smirk, instead his face was hard and tense. Not even Christina cracked a smile. I'm anxious too, just not for the same reason. There's a possibility that they're going to go to the Pit and not find the faces they're looking for. I knew I was going to see my mother again, but it didn't necessarily have to be on this day. I hoped I wouldn't have to see her today quite frankly. I needed to find a way to be more presentable before I did. Maybe buy a dress that didn't show an excessive amount of me and I definitely needed to do something to my hair to draw less attention to it. My mother never liked the practice of the Dauntless dying their hair, so I didn't think she would take lightly to her own daughter's dyed hair of multiple shades of blue.

Just in case I did end up seeing her today; I picked a long-sleeved black top that stopped just at my collar-bone and a matching pair of black tights. In a hopeful attempt to make her happy, I put on royal blue heels and brushed out the curls in my hair.

As I finished the last stroke of my hair, Eric walked in. Though I didn't like Four, I suddenly found myself wishing he was here, I didn't like to be left alone with him. "Attention, initiates!" Everyone stopped what they were doing to focus their eyes on him. "I want to give you some advice about today. If by some miracle your families do come to visit," for a reason unknown to us, he smirked. Most likely gleeful at the fact he crushed all of their hopes at once. "Though I totally doubt they will," he continued on, "it's best not to seem too attached. That will make it easier for not only you, but them as well. We take the phrase 'faction before blood' very seriously here. An attachment to your family would suggest you're not entirely pleased with your life here, which would he shameful. Do you understand?"

The threat is loud and clear enough that almost everyone nodded in agreement, fearful that if they asked follow-up questions they'd face his anger.

As I made my way out the door, I'm stopped by Eric. "You're mother made accommodations in her schedule to come today, but she told me to assure you that she is coming." A shake of my head was all I could manage before continuing my way to the Pit.

I walked alone down the dimmed hallway with Tris, Christina and Will in front of me. I noticed Tris lagging behind as Will laughed at something Christina said. It took every ounce of my Erudite restraint to hold me back from throwing my body in between them to limit contact. Will and I had broken up and realistically, I didn't harbour anymore feelings for him, but Christina having him was out of the question. When I looked at her as friend maybe, but now with the indiscreet disrespect from her, it made me want to get back in the ring with her.

Once I get into the Pit, I don't see the clusters of families until my eyes find-tune their pupil diameter to an appropriate size in accommodation for the difference in lighting. I looked around the room to find my mother - a woman who I knew was going to be in a crisp, clean and pressed blue dress. The outfit she would be wearing isn't how I found her though.

Immediately upon the abrupt silencing of the room, I could take a guess on who just entered. I took a peak at the entrance to the Pit and saw my mother standing, flanked by the two burly men in blue and following behind them was a crowd of high-ranking Erudite members. I approached them in a minced fashion, hoping not to look as out of place with her as I felt. It took about five steps away from her before she noticed me, and her lips pursed when she did. That always signified her discontent with a person or situation.

"Hello mother," I greeted formally. "Adelaide," she greeted back. Taking a step forward, she reached for my hair. "Interesting choice." Facial expression was never a thing to factor in when trying to read my mother. She had two dominant expressions: stoic, cold and calculating or a false smile. Neither of which truly expressed how she felt in the situation. "I figured it would help me assimilate better and keep people less suspicious of me here." Her pursed lips softened at hearing this. I guessed it was the relief of knowing Erudite qualities still lingered in me. "Impressive calculation," she complimented. My body swelled with pride, as it usually did when she gave me a compliment.

"Now come, Adelaide." She took me to the hole in the wall that led to the chasm.