“Keep who waiting?” Alice said, completely baffled.

            “Him,” Altair escorted her out the door and into the square, and Alice stopped short, her mouth hanging open in shock. Parked in front of Threads was a shiny black carriage, its wheels capped with silver, a red leather roof was attached to the back, and right now it was pulled back to show off the velvety looking seats inside. The driver sat up front proudly, a long thing whip in one hand and a top hat on his head. He winked at her and said, “Good day, ma’am.”

            Alice murmured a greeting, but she barely looked at him. She was too busy staring at the animal pulling the carriage. The horse was brilliantly white, the color of freshly fallen snow, and the figure it cut was both fierce and beautiful. The most remarkable thing about it was the long pearly horn on its forehead, it was nearly as long as Alice’s forearm, and every time the creature moved the light reflected from the horn and fell in dazzling colors on the paving stones.

            “A Unicorn,” Alice breathed in awe, “No way.”

            Altair looked down at her, smiling, “Do you like it?”

            “Oh my goodness, it’s beautiful,” she wanted to move toward it, but her feet seemed to be rooted to the spot.

            “You must go see him before you ride,” the driver said firmly, “he won’t give you a ride if he doesn’t know you. Both of you.” He indicated Altair as well, who suddenly looked a little nervous.

            Alice was so excitedly she could hardly walk in a straight line. She took a few cautious steps  toward the Unicorn, unsure of what to do next. “His name is George.” The driver said helpfully.

            Alice’s eyebrows shot up. George the Unicorn. Seriously?

            “Hi…George,” she murmured quietly, and the Unicorn swung its head towards her, regarding her with soft brown eyes. She held one hand out cautiously, and George nuzzled it gently, blowing into her palm and tickling her. She giggled, his breath was warm and smelled like freshly cut grass.

            “He likes you,” The driver said happily, “you next, boy.”

            Altair smirked, perhaps at being addressed as “boy” and sauntered up to the Unicorn, hand outstretched. George eyed him, with what Alice thought might be a critical look, but he still stretched out his neck and nuzzled Altair’s hand, “Hey,” Altair said, “I think he likes…”

            Altair grimaced as George sneezed, shooting a green spray into the palm of his hand, “Oh gross,” he groaned, wiping his hand onto his blue jeans, “Thanks a lot, George.”

            The driver was laughing, “Okay you two, you’ve been accepted, each in your own way. Climb aboard.”

            Altair helped her up the stairs of the carriage, and then hopped in himself, grumbling about how he’d thought Unicorns were supposed to be majestic. The carriage rumbled forward, and Alice watched George’s fluid movements, thinking to herself that she’d never seen anything more graceful. The driver adjusted the whip in his hand slightly, leaning it against his knee, and she frowned, “You don’t use the whip do you?”

            The driver looked back with a laugh, “Oh heavens, no! It’s just for effect. Tourists like seeing the entire getup. I wouldn’t dare use this on dear old George. He’d probably impale me.” He said it quite seriously, and Alice blinked, trying to imagine the delicate white creature impaling someone. The driver seemed to sense her skepticism, “Oh, you’d be surprised at how violent Unicorns can be if they’re threatened. I’ve seen the damage that horn can do, and it’s not pretty.”

            Alice winced and sat back, and the driver turned around again and began to whistle softly. Altair put one arm around her, pulling her closer to him on the broad velvet seat, “Well, is this romantic as hell, or what? How many brownie points do I get?” He grinned, and Alice laughed and shook her head, “I think that’s minus some points for the phrase ‘romantic as hell’.”

            “You’re no fun. Hey, it’s colder then I thought it would be today.  My face is freezing.” He tried to stick the tip of his cold nose in her ear and she gasped, turning to scold him, and Altair leaned forward and kissed her soundly, successfully ending her protests. The driver tactfully ignored them, still whistling, and when they pulled apart Alice could feel herself blushing, “Okay, you’ve regained the brownie points.”

            They circled the Old Town Square once, very slowly, and Alice leaned back against the plush seats, enjoying the noise and chatter of the square, the beautiful church towers rising in the distance and Altair’s arm around her. When they were at last dropped off  in front of the shop she thanked the driver and said goodbye to George, delighted when the Unicorn nuzzled her neck with his soft nose.

            “Go on in,” Altair waved at her, “I’ve still got to pay the man.”

Alice stretched up on her tip toes and pecked him on the cheek, “That was amazing.” Altair gave her a cocky grin, “What can I say. I’m the best boyfriend ever.”

            She laughed and shook her head, “I won’t argue, just this one time.”

            The bell tinkled happily as she entered the shop, joining Azura behind the desk, who took in her messy hair and flushed cheeks with a smile, “Do I see a Unicorn out there?”

            “Yes,” Alice said eagerly, “isn’t he amazing? I didn’t even know they existed!” She paused, “Well, I guess I shouldn’t be that surprised. I just didn’t think about it until now. That was amazing.”

            “Wow!” Maya was pressing her nose against the glass, staring in awe at the Unicorn, “Wow! Look how long its horn is!”

            Gabriel looked a little cross, muttering about Altair being a “show off” as he gift-wrapped a pair of hand-warming mittens for an older lady.