Chapter 2

Markus's POV

I glanced up at my mate from the bed, watching as he dried his hair before sitting next to me on the bed. He seemed to make a point ignoring me, and I knew my acting like a child wasn't really the best thing to do, especially when he feels like a prisoner here. But... I can't let him go. I finally have him, and he's mine. 

We sat in silence for a moment before I looked at him, sighing. "Mate-"

"Quentin." He snapped, not looking at me. 

I bit my lip. "Quentin," As much as I loved his name, I hated calling him by it because it made me realize how much of a stranger he is to me. "I'm... I'm sorry."

He snorted, but finally cast a glance my way. As soon as he did, he looked away quickly, pulling at the ends of his bright red hair. I stared at it, wondering what color it was originally. Something similar to Kyran's, I'd guess. I mean, they are twins despite having almost nothing in common. Where Kyran was cold and strict, Quentin was a little more outgoing. And, of course, Kyran was more accepting about the idea of a mate. After a while, Quentin layed down against his pillow, curling up into his usual sleeping position and covering himself with the large comforter on the bed. I stayed awake, though, unable to get to sleep.

I've waited for three years to find my mate since I turned eighteen. At first, I though maybe they were part of another pack, so I left. After about two years of travel, I came back with my hopes lower than ever, only to find that my older brother had finally received Alpha status, and had completely torn the pack apart, even driving one of our own from it. So, I challenged him and became Alpha. I've spent the past year rebuilding the pack.

When I heard that someone had found Felan, the runaway pack member, I was eager to take him back in and show him how much the pack had changed, and make him feel welcome again. Of course, I didn't count on him being mated, and to a Vampire, no less. I also didn't count on his mate's brother being my mate. At first, I tried to just take Felan and leave, but when Kyran offered up the trade, I couldn't resist the chance to have my mate in my arms. 

But Quentin doesn't feel the same way. He's tried to escape lots of times, wanting to go outside on his own or demanding straight out that we let him go. I just can't bring myself to let him go. I know what happens to rejected wolves, and it doesn't end well. But besides that, I don't want to let go of this joy that fills my chest whenever I look at him, or the sparks that fly across my vision when I touch him. I love him. I love him. I love him...

Soon enough, I found my eyes drifting shut as I fell into a deep sleep.