Chapter 8

Ethan:

Light was usually late to class for mornings, but I sat at the back and patiently waited for her. She walked in and handed Ms. Diaz a yellow slip. Her white shoes still on and her hair down straight, she walked to the back where Wayne was now seated beside us.

"Go take your seat back." She said to him and he looked up at her shocked.

"Now." She ordered and he quickly got up and went to his seat. She sat down a little bit away from me and looked at the board.

"Okay, questions one to eight in your textbooks. I have to make a quick call." She said dialing a number on the phone and stepping out. Light scooted over and reached into the bag while glancing at the door. She handed me a thick roll of cash and winked at me.

"All gone?" I asked.

"What, you think I took some for a taste?" She challenged and I laughed lightly.

"Maybe you did."

"No, it's all there. I don't half ass anything." She assured.

At lunch, Mackenzie sat across from me talking to Genevieve, Matt spoke to Bailey and Light sat a little bit away eating her lunch in peace. I moved over to sit next to her and she glanced at me.

"What's up, rich boy?" She asked while looking down at the plate.

"You think I can give you a little more to sell?" I asked and she looked at me out of the corner of her eye.

"Like what?" She asked.

"Maybe some X?"

"It can be done." 

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"If I wasn't sure I wouldn't have said it can be done."

"Good. Come over to my house again this evening. I will give you some more product to sell to those high schoolers. No one gave you a hard time, did they?" I asked her.

"If they did. I kicked their ass and sent them on their way. Got some low ballers over there but most were alright with it. You should start selling at these rich kid parties. Some of them are so stupid and have so much money that they don't know how much you should charge." She explained.

"Lane Smith is having a party this Friday if you want to try it."

"Send me the address and give me the stuff." She said.

I waited outside for Light that evening. Matt and I were looking over one of our cars that was making an odd noise as we drove it.

"Sweaty boys working on cars? Love it." Someone said. I turned while wiping off my hands and tossed the rag to the side.

"You gonna take care of it?" Matt asked as he lifted the hood. I nodded and gestured for Light to follow me to the back. I glanced at what she was wearing quickly. She had on those damn short cotton shorts that showed a good portion of her ass. You had to be an idiot if you didn't think Light was attractive. She had this rough edge to her but she also had this soft and delicate look to her. She was mysterious and seemed like she was hiding something and I was dying to know what it was.

To be honest I looked forward to talking to Light rather than talking to Mackenzie.

"Think you can sell twenty pills?" I asked her as I handed her two bags.

"I think it can happen. I'll let you know." She said shoving it into the bag and walking away.

"Here let me drive you back." I offered. Damn this girl was heading out quick.

"It's cool, it's only a twenty minute walk." She said.

"Come on, I could use a break." I said.

"Ok." She nodded. We walked out to my car and got in. It was silent for a few minutes before I decided to strike up conversation.

"So what's up? Bailey and Gen are so talkative." I began and she chuckled.

"Trust me, you would prefer that I keep my mouth shut. The real me is a total bitch and you probably won't like it." She admitted.

"I think I would actually. It's a bit boring at Lincoln. We need some excitement. I'm tired of listening to people talk about fashion and about how girls don't know the difference between suede and high class leather." I sighed.

"It's fucking clothes. You put it on your body." She said.

"That's Mackenzie you're talking about you cheeky little shit." She smirked.

"It may be Mackenzie..."

"It is." She said cutting me off.

"Okay it is. It pisses me off sometimes, I talk to her and I zone out. It's like watching paint dry."

"So why are you dating her?" She asked confused.

"Because she's hot and to be honest, we have been dating since grade nine. It's just familiar y'know?" I asked.

"Yea...this is all but familiar." She sighed.

"That different from Canada?" I asked.

"What? Oh yea...there is...no snow." She said and I frowned slightly. Either I'm misreading it or that was a huge lie.

"This your house?" I asked while looking at the small one story house. I swore her parents were doctors and scientists.

"Yea. My parents like things a little homey." She said quickly.

"Thanks, rich boy." She smirked before walking away.