Chapter 19

Dedicated to Butterfly9999 & SydneyFitzwater for their birthday gift :-)

__________________

I currently sit in the piano room, stacking music, waiting for Parker to come down for our first lesson.

I was ready to get this over and done with. For the past few days, whenever we would see each other, he would always come up and whisper, "only a few more days." In a husky voice, in which you could practically hear the smirk on his lips.

I check my watch and see that it's 3:30. We were supposed to start the lesson at 3:15. I sigh and sit down. I pull out a beginners piano book so I have some guidance in teaching Parker.

I sit for awhile, doing nothing, while waiting for Parker. I check my phone and see that it's 3:40. Where the hell could he be?

I let out a frustrated sigh and stand up. My head is pounding from my impatience. All I need right now is a nice, long walk.

I walk out the front door and to my surprise I see Parker sitting there.

Goddammit that boy...

"Parker? Seriously? I've been waiting for 25 minutes!" I yell. Parker turns around. His eyes are bloodshot and a cigarette dangles from his fingers.

"Hey doll face." He sighs, bringing the stick of nicotine back up to his lips. He slowly inhales, breathing in everything he can, then blows out the smoke.

I huff and sit next to him. "Don't call me that." I grumble.

"What crawled up your ass?" Parker asks.

"Maybe the fact that you wanted me to teach you the piano and you didn't show up for the lesson?" I snap. Parker finishes off his cigarette and stomps it out on the ground.

"I missed it?" He asks, looking into my eyes. I nod. "God, I'm sorry." He puts his face in his hands.

"I don't know if this will work out if you're late." I breathe.

"No no!" Parker shouts. "It will! I just have...a lot on my mind." He finishes.

"Well, what's wrong?" I ask. Parker reaches into his pocket and takes out a pack of cigarettes, picking another one from the pack. He places the pack back in his pocket, and lights up the cigarette with a green lighter.

"You're going to kill yourself." I point out. Parker shrugs, inhaling. "Have you ever tried?" Parker asks, removing the cigarette from his lips. I shake my head. I was never into wanting to smoke. It was always bad to me because my mom always did it. And look where she ended up.

Parker holds out the burning cigarette for me. I'm about to shake my head when I hesitantly take the cigarette from his fingers.

"Just put it up to your lips, lightly inhale, the exhale." Parker instructs. I slowly bring the cigarette up to my lips, watching Parker as I do. I lightly inhale, and cough a bit as I do. Parker gets out a low chuckle. The smoke fills my lungs as I feel my head go blank. Nothing matters anymore. I take the cigarette from my lips and exhale. The feeling now going away.

I hand the cigarette back to Parker. "It feels like..." I start.

"You don't have a care in the world." Parker finishes my sentence. I nod. We both sit in silence for a while.

"I'm scared to learn piano." Parker says out of the blue. I look over at him. "I sound like a wuss, I know." He chuckles.

"No, it's okay." I reply.

"My, uh, grandpa used to play. And he was my best friend. Ya know? I always spent time with him. And a couple years ago, he passed..." Parker coughs and takes a drag from his cigarette. "He played the piano all the time. And he promised he would teach me about a month before he died. So yeah. I wanna learn, so I have a piece of him with me." Parker looks down.

"Then why are you scared?" I ask.

"Because. Piano was me and my grandpas thing. And I really never wanted to share it. That's why I never went to a teacher. But now...I have you teaching me and..." He pauses.

"I'm sorry. We don't have to do this." I tell him, standing up, putting my hand on the door handle.

"No, I want to. I'm just sharing something special to me with someone. And Eden, I never share things that are special to me."

I nod. Twisting the door handle, ready to go in. "Just tell me when you're ready to start." I open the door and step inside.

"And you're pretty damn special too." I hear Parker mumble. He finishes off his cigarette and smashes it on the ground with his foot.

That's when I close the door.

____________________

WOW MAN I GOT FEELS.

sorry it's been so long. :-(

-Taylor