15| Water & Ice

Hey guys! Just wanted to say again that I'm sorry if you're reading this offline. I use photos of text conversations to tell dialogue sometimes, and those obviously won't load without wifi. Hope you're not mad at me!

I looked up and saw Paully at my door, an apologetic look on his face

I looked up and saw Paully at my door, an apologetic look on his face. I guess I was so loud he felt he should check up on me.

"I'm fine," I lied, wiping whatever tears were left on face.

"No you're not. And I'm guessing Ryan is a boy from back home," he said, sitting at the edge of my bed.

Yup, he definitely heard me.

"Yeah. He's in the past now, though," I clarified, and I meant every word of it.

"Good."

A few silent moments passed between us, and I watched as Paully started to look at the things I had around my room.

"Woah, all these trophies are for first place!" he exclaimed, surprised when he saw my shelf full of swimming trophies and medals.

"Yeah. I'm pretty good," I bragged, thinking of all the memories I made.

"Nice," he nodded, looking at more of them. "You know, I saw a sign saying they were looking for lifeguards at the gym further in town. You should apply."

"Really?!" I practically screamed from interest. "Where?!"

Paully turned around and looked at me with a goofy grin, probably because I was acting like an emotional roller coaster; one minute I was shouting, the next I was crying, and now I was screaming with excitement.

"It's some gym a few blocks away from the mall," he informed me, turning back to my display of awards.

"Oh, I am definitely applying!" I said, my heart lifting at the thought of being even more like her.

Paully stayed a little longer to make sure I was alright, and I finished the rest of my ice cream, loving all the attention I was finally getting. Don't worry, I'm not an attention-seeker; but since I rarely got it from the people that mattered, moments like these were everything.

"So, did you get it?!" Riley asked, perking up when he saw me run out of the gym.

At school the next day, I told him about my plans to apply as a lifeguard and he insisted on coming with me.

"They couldn't wait to hire me!" I screamed with glee, running over to him.

"Of course they couldn't," he laughed, pulling me into a congratulatory hug.

"I had to do a couple of swimming tests and exercises to prove I could handle it, which I aced, but that's why my hair is wet," I said, pointing to my wet, raven waves.

"I figured that happened, but that's great that you did so well," Riley smiled.

"Thanks. You should have seen their faces when they saw my list of accolades. They made a sign-up sheet right then and there for swimming lessons that I'm going to be teaching," I boasted, grinning so hard my face started to hurt.