Chapter 3 - Part 2

"So, what are we doing again?" Clint asked Tony as Tony sat down at his super high-tech computer station.

"I'm doing some research on a kid," Tony replied, "wanna help?"

"Sure," Clint said, "but, why?"

"I'll tell you later." Tony said, handing Clint a regular looking laptop.

"Wait, why do I get a normal old laptop and you get that?" Clint said indignantly, pointing towards Tony's computer station.

"Because I am a highly intelligent human that actually knows how all of this," Tony said, pointing smugly in the direction of his workspace, "works. Besides, do you really think that the Tony Stark has something as simple as an ordinary laptop anywhere in his vicinity? Just take my word for it that the stupid thing is much better than any ordinary laptop could ever be."

"Ever think that the only reason you're so good with tech is because you, technically, are only alive because of being empowered by a hunk of tech?" Clint said.

"No, bird brain," Tony said, sighing frustratedly, "I was good with tech before I became Iron Man."

"Speaking of, why Iron Man?" Clint asked, "Why not something more Stark-like? You know something along the lines of Mechanic Man?"

"Seriously?!" Tony exclaimed, "That's even worse than Iron Man. Besides, Iron Man just stuck to me, it would be weird to change it now."

"Yeah, you're right," Clint said, "let's just carry on then."

Tony turned back to his large work area while Clint decided to perch himself on a table with the laptop on his lap.

Within the first ten minutes, they both had a hit.

Unfortunately, it was only the recent finding and adoption of one Percy Rodgers with no known family history.

Clint read through the information and almost fell off the table when he realized who adopted the kid.

"Steve adopted him?!" Clint yelled out.

"Yes, now keep searching!" Tony said, "There has to be something on this kid."

"What do you mean?" Clint asked curiously.

"I mean," Tony said impatiently, "that Steve has brought a random kid into the tower and I'd simply like to know some of the kids' background."

"Why?" Clint said sharply, "you can't possibly be thinking that the kid is some sort of spy or something."

Tony looked at Clint with a deceivingly incredulous look in his eyes.

"Why would I think that?" Tony said slowly.

"I don't know," Clint shrugged obliviously, "but if it's not that then why are we trying to find out about the kids background?"

"Because my first impression of the kid was while he was having a full-blown panic attack," Tony said, "not to mention some of the scars I happened to see."

Clint was silent for a moment, thinking about what this could mean.

"Maybe he had an abusive family?" Clint suggested.

"I don't know," Tony said, "and that's why we're doing some research. The kid is gonna be part of our family now, whether we like it or not, and we have to know his story to be able to help him."

"Alright," Clint said, "let's keep looking."

Tony once again turned back to his work area while Clint turned back to the laptop.

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

"This is impossible!" Tony exclaimed loudly.

"What?" Clint said, looking up from the laptop.

"I can't find anything on the kid!" Tony said frustaredly.

"What do you mean?" Clint asked, discreetly hiding the fact that he had long ago given up on searching for any information on the kid and had, instead, engaged in a rather heated online game.

"I mean," Tony said slowly, as if talking to an idiot, "that before he showed up at the orphanage he didn't exist in any file whatsoever."

"Maybe there's a reason for that?" Clint suggested just as slowly.

"What logical reason could there possibly be?" Tony snapped.

"I don't know," Clint said defensively, "maybe the parents were paranoid conspiracy theorists that wanted to keep off grid."

"Yeah, sure," Tony scoffed, "if that were the case then there should at least be a birth certificate or a picture with him in it somewhere but there's absolutely nothing!"

"Calm down Tony," Clint said, "it's just a kid."

"Just because he's a kid doesn't mean that he couldn't be up to something." Tony said solemnly.

"Seriously?!" Clint asked, "Didn't we just have that conversation? You can't really suspect the kid is up to something?!"

"Yes," Tony hissed, "children have been proved to be the best weapons. Lots of 'innocent' children are nothing more than ruthless killers. What other plausible excuse could there possibly be? Just look at Natasha, she was a kid when she started."

"Don't you dare talk about Natasha like that!" Clint said jumping off the table and lunging at Tony.

"Alright! Alright!" Tony said holding up his hands in the universal sign of peace, "but still, you have to admit..."

"Just because you can't find something on the kid doesn't mean he's up to something!" Clint said, "There could be a perfectly reasonable excuse as to why you can't find something on him."

"But it also doesn't mean that he's not up to something!" Tony said completely ignoring Clint's last statement.

"Tony," Clint said softly, "just give the kid a chance."

"A chance to what?!" Tony exploded, "a chance to murder us in our sleep?"

"Tony," Clint said, "you're being paranoid."

"Nothing wrong with a little bit of paranoia." Tony replied.

"You're right," Clint said, "but you're taking it to the extreme. You need to get help."

"Help?! Me?! Why would I..." Tony kept yelling long after Clint had walked out the door and away from Tony.

It progressed to Tony screaming at himself and throwing the laptop Clint had been using at his computer, completely destroying both.

Tony knew, deep down, that he needed help but he was in denial and didn't seem to want to face the reality of what was happening to him.

Never in his life had he been as paranoid as he had been for the last few months.

He had dismissed it as just another phase but maybe Clint was right.

Maybe Tony did need help.

˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚

1066 Words

I know it's been a really long time since I last updated.

Unfortunately, it might take a while before I update again and I'm really sorry to have to do that to you guys.

I hope you understand and that you liked the chapter!