Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Will was in a rather foul mood. He found it to be one of those days when one just wants to lie in bed and sulk, which he did desperately want to do. Shutting the curtains and slipping under the covers seemed like the ideal course of action when his demons came knocking, and today was no exception.
Will was, however, deprived from his wants by Jem. On one of Will's 'more temperamental days' as Jem called them, Jem would do everything and anything in his control to cheer his parabatai up.

The day had started off with Jem opening the curtains: his first mistake. The light hit Will in a blinding beam, and he hissed in a very much inhuman way. One could almost call him a vampire with that response to the sun.
'Jem," Will muttered, still half asleep, 'there is a rather infamous quote I wish to share with you; one originating from none other than myself: 'the only thing more dangerous than a madman is one who is deprived of his sleep'. Take note of this phrase, for it is about to become very relevant in terms of your safety.'
But instead of fleeing as he should have, Jem instead ripped the sheets off of Will's body, making him moan.
'Come on, Will!' Jem said encouragingly. 'It's a beautiful day outside and I'm not planning on letting you stare moodily at the back of your eyelids while the whole of London enjoys the sun.'

Well, Jem had been right about one thing. The sun had gotten the better of the grey clouds that normally hovered over London and was bathing the city in a warm glow. It was the complete opposite of how Will felt. As he stalked through the many corridors of the Institute to get to breakfast (which was dreadfully early, mind you), he didn't notice the large grey eyes peeking through a crack in a door until their owner emerged from it fully. Tessa, in a pretty green dress, walked up to Will.
'Good morning,'she said in her brisk, American tone. It was forcefully impersonal, despite the slight nod she gave him in greeting.
'Tessa.'
They walked for a while in silence. When Will was certain she wasn't looking, he'd steal a quick glance at her from the corner of his eye. Little flashes of detail overcame him: the strands of her dark hair that slid out of her neat plait, the way her nails were bitten down to the quick. The bags under her eyes, and the spot of dried blood on her lip from chewing it too much. It was these sort of moments - these sort of clues- that made Will want to lean over and take Tessa in his arms. She had her demons, just like him, but unlike him she didn't have a Jem to keep them at bay. Maybe once he could've been that person for Tessa, too.
But Will knew that it was never going to happen. He had shattered his future with her that night on the roof, and that sort of thing could not be undone.

'Will?' Tessa asked.
The young shadow hunter snapped out of his reverie.'Yes?'
'Are you going anywhere today or just staying at the Institute?'
Will sighed. 'Jem has decided to take me for a walk in Hyde Park. He thinks we should make the most of this sunshine.'
Tessa nodded. 'He's right of course; some sunlight would do us all good. In fact, Jessamine has asked me if I would accompany her to the horse racing today. It's somewhat gone out of fashion in New York, so I never had the chance to go and watch it. Apparently it's quite the place to meet suitors-'
'Why are you telling me this, exactly?' Will snapped. 'It's not like I'll tag along to meet all the pretty boys of London, now, would I?'
He regretted the words as soon as they left his mouth.
Tessa exploded, like a volcano who had been waiting for a reason to erupt. 'I'm just trying to make some polite conversation! God, Will! Sometimes you are just so hard to be around!'
And with that, she quickened her pace and left Will, who was rather stunned, far behind her.

During breakfast Tessa refused to look at Will. After everyone had finished, she curtly strode out of the dining room.
'I wonder what's gotten into her.' Jessamine said. She wiped away a few crumbs from her mouth with a handkerchief.
Jem looked at the door with a worried expression. 'Do you think she's alright?' He whispered to Will, silver eyes concerned. Will shrugged.
'Does it matter? Tessa will do what Tessa does," was his only response. He refused to let the guilt he felt creep into his gaze.
Jem looked uncomfortable with Will's choice of words, but clearly thought better of saying anything. Jem had probably already sensed that his friend's mood was little worse for wear. 'Shall we get going, then?'