Chapter 1: I Want You

The sunset painted the sky a magnificent arrangement of colors, surrounding Ben and Mal. They were basking in the setting sun's warmth, lying side by side together on a soft blanket at the enchanted lake. It was more than just their favorite spot; it was their escape from the world.

No one could bother them here.

When the sun was halfway down the horizon, Mal began to wonder how she got to be so lucky; guys like Ben never gave girls like her a second look. What in the world could Ben really like about her? She was raised by the most evil villain on the planet.

Her cruel and immoral mother demanded her daughter be just like her. At the young age of four, Mal committed her first wicked act. She still regrets it so much to the point she refuses to even acknowledge it. The things her mother had made her to do were unspeakable. If she didn't do what her mother told her to, she would beat her. There were many days that Mal would go to sleep with blood-soaked clothes. Her mother refused to allow her to change after the beatings because she wanted Mal to get used to seeing blood, especially her own. It was meant to teach Mal that, when blood is shed, it's either yours or the person next to you.

She'd never let anyone see the pain she felt from her everyday life. At some point, she felt it was normal and that she would soon enjoy what she did, much like her mother. That, of course, never happened. The remorse of her actions always haunted her, and her mother made her suffer for it.

From her mother's torture to the atrocious acts of villainy, which always seemed to riddle her with guilt, Mal was scarred, both spiritually and physically. Why would Ben like someone who is so, what's the word? Broken. She had to know.

"Ben?" she sighed as she turned to him.

"Yeah?"

"What do you like about me?"

"Where is this coming from?" Ben asked as he sat up to look at her.

"Curiosity," she said, sitting up with him.

"Come on, I know you better than that. What's up?" Ben asked, raising an eyebrow curiously.

"I guess I don't understand why you choose to be with me. Especially with who I am."

"What do you mean? Who do you think you are?"

"I'm Maleficent's daughter. I was born and raised evil. I've done bad things. Horrible things. Unspeakable things."

"Mal," Ben breathed,"your mother doesn't define who you are. You do that. And so what if you have done bad things? We all have. You just have to learn to let go of what you did and move on."

"That still doesn't answer my question. Why in the world do you like me? You could have anyone or anything that you want."

"Mal, there is only one thing in the entire universe that I want."

"What do you want?"

"You, Mal. I want you," he said, his face completely serious.

As the sun sank below the horizon, Mal found herself stunned. She didn't know what to think. All she could do was stare at him, speechless. That was the last thing she expected to hear. Ben looked into her sparkling green eyes, which were glowing. The look on her face made him want to melt. The couple couldn't help but lock lips, moving them together in unison. Eyes closed, they enjoyed the feel of the other's lips on their own. The whole world stood still as they kissed. They pulled away breathless, their foreheads pressed together.

The sun had finally set and the stars began to shine brilliantly, and the moon, full and bright, illuminated the two of them. Fireflies glowed around them, reflecting off the lake. Combined with the moon and the stars, it created a world of magic just for them.