XVII. POETRY AND DIARIES

Start from the beginning

            "Hey." He coughed in a tired voice.

    "Uh, hi." I curled up the corners of my lips.

       "You played quite well against Draco in that you duel you both did a few weeks ago." His voice casually dragged to the floor.

"Oh, thanks." I smiled weakly, bewildered as to why he was being exceptionally nice. But I was instantly trailed away from that thought by the sight of something rather noticeable below his left eye. And when I say noticeable, it wasn't the good sort.

He must've realised I was looking.

"So I suppose I'll see you around." He breathed, and before I could insist that he stay, he began walking speedily down the corridor, clumsily barging into people before swiftly curving around the corner.

I sighed, knowing full well that the force of his mother's violent slap had affected him. I then glanced down towards the floor and noticed a rather small, crumpled piece of parchment. I lifted it, before attempting to process each of the words written on it.

And when I did, I began to convince myself that I should've walked away when he did, minding my own damn business.

Bruises,
Bruises everywhere.
Broken nails and
Bashed in eyes.
A battered face
With bloody tears,
I guess that's what I
get for staying silent.

e.l

"Emmalina!" I suddenly heard a familiar voice call out from the unknown. I twisted my body around, and noticed Harry and Ron, energetically speeding towards me.

  "Emmalina we have loads more to tell you!" Ron panted as the two of them came to a halt, he gripped the palms of his hands tightly onto his kneecaps, desperate for a gulp of air.

"What's that you've got there?" Harry asked curiously, pointing to the crumpled piece of parchment. I quickly shoved it into the depths of my pocket before saying —

     "Nothing, it's just a persimmon note that Madame Pomfery gave to me."

       Harry nodded, before cutting straight to the chase. "Look, for the month that you've been in hospital, the rest of us managed find out that the Chamber of Secrets has been opened before." He paused. "Malfoy told us that the person who did it was expelled, but he wouldn't tell us who it was exactly."

    "He said that his father wouldn't tell him." Ron added to Harry's explanation.

"Wait hold on," I insisted with my brows furrowed. "How did you manage to get this kind of information out of Malfoy?"

"It's a long story." Harry answered blankly, as Ron quickly nodded in agreement.

          "We'll tell you later." Ron said.

"Looks like Moaning Mrytle's flooded the bathroom," said Harry. I looked straight ahead and noticed that a great flood of water had stretched quickly across the other half of the corridor. "Let's go and find out."

"Wait, who's Moaning Myrtle?"

   As I didn't receive a single reply, I just decided to follow the two boys down the corridor. The three of us held our robes above our ankles as each pair of shoes plummeted harshly into the wash of water surrounding us. Once we had entered the bathroom in which the water was seeping from, I caught sight of a miserable looking ghost, vigorously crying her sorrows away. The room appeared to be rather dark, as all candles had been extinguished by the waves of the water.