Deja Vu Song List

I know what you're all thinking--seriously, Chrona? Are you still on this? The answer is I have cried in public about Deja Vu no less than twenty times, if not double that, in the past year. I don't mean in my room, I mean objectively bawling and it's... a little hard to let go. With NaNoWriMo around the corner, it looks like I'll have a clean slate soon, and I want to give these kids a proper send off. Which I totally didn't do by queueing the whole book up but screw it.

My stories tend to twine with my life at the time, and vice versa, but music also has one hell of an impact on my books. I'm not saying I copy song lyrics or anything to that measure, because I don't, but whenever I look back at my stories I definitely feel the ambience of whatever I was originally trying to get across in those songs. Of course, I'll be sharing character tidbits below, but what's really important is that I find out if anyone on Wattpad shares my awful indie music tastes. I had to cut a lot of songs to make this list concise as it is and it's still way too damn long. Enjoy the show.

(RELATIVELY) FEW SPOILERS

I'll be discussing arcs in here as well as ships so this might color your perception of certain characters going into it. I'd recommend just looking at the songs and commenting something like "oh I've seen that" and not looking at the descriptions if you just want to follow along for the music, because it's good music, buuuut I try to be light on the spoilers anyways.

OVERTURES

Dreaming- Smallpools

I've always had this special place in my heart for upbeat alt-pop songs, especially those with dramatic, kind of depressing lyrics. I think Dreaming definitely captures this mix of camaraderie mixed with "ha ha we could literally die any day now" that originally compelled me to write urban fantasy. Deja Vu also has somewhat of an emphasis on dreams, especially on Will's arc, so it seemed oddly appropriate. 

twenty-one pilots- Guns for Hands 

Nothing says hypocritical like claiming to have intensely indie music tastes and then leading with alt-pop and Twenty One Pilots. That said, Guns for Hands is awesome for these kids, for the same reasons as above, but also the more dangerous (literally and metaphorically) aspect of the characters, who are both looking for ways to physically let out steam but are also... all really self destructive? Obviously Adam and Evan are the worst but a lot of the book is really screwed up kids being screwed up together. 

A Children's Crusade on Acid- Margot and the Nuclear So-Sos

There's the juicy stuff. As I said above, shit gets real late book, but also I have a habit of shoving any song that mentions 'lovers' in the plural in the Deja Vu category because I can. I shiver every time I hear this song, especially when the singer hits that second verse. "Leave my wretched soul alone..."

(heck off Anthem) 

The Tunnels- Girl, Interrupted OST

This is what I'd call an 'OST' song... okay, it's literally from an OST, but there are certain songs I listen to while doing certain scenes. In particular, this was the music for most of the early Veins scenes. I always think of it as inherently more of a Will song but there's definitely that almost bouncy but ominous (talk about an oxymoron) adventure feel for both of them when they first step in there.