extras from extraordinary which are by no means ordinary

fuck me and fuck titles

Anyways while I can't seem to start Extraordinary or get enough concrete worldbuilding to do a legitimate plot the genre of urban fantasy has always fascinated me so I've continued to write stories about background characters in the world for quite some time now. I figured I'd share a few here because I have nowhere else to put them.

There will be background.

1) This is a quick one I did about Maria Randolph, the mother of Timothy Randolph, a character who becomes part of Ylva and Emily's group later in the book. (The whole family are werewolves (it's recessive) which works a liiiittle differently in this world? Basically their forms are more wolf/doglike when the moon is further from full and more feral and uncontrollable when it approaches fullness. Harvest moons and blue moons, as well as other lunar irregularities, also have their own set of effects.) Anyways there's a shifter bias in this world, not as strong as most non-humans but stronger than that towards non-Eugaeans. Maria has worked her whole life to get where she is, in a good neighborhood with a good job surrounded by people she can at least tolerate, but the past and her volatile youth refuse to leave her behind.

(This is about five years before Extraordinary.) 

---

The children were bickering again.

"Am not, am not, am not!" sang a playful and furious voice as the ten year old David ripped through the halls, his younger brother Timothy ahead of him, whining and crying with mock fear. "Take it back!"

"No! Leave me alone!"

While this was not an uncommon event in the house, it became a slightly more peculiar one, at least to an outsider, when the younger of the boys turned into a large, gray canine resembling an Alaskan Malamute and the older brother grew claws and fangs. Even in his new form, the younger of the boys couldn't outrun his determined older brother and was set upon by him, now in full wolf form.

There was a distinct slam as Timothy fell against the furniture and the rattle of a vase could be heard of the distance, each tiptiptip against the glass an ominous warning of the fall to come.

Maria Randolph, who had been sitting on the couch with a newspaper while the lot of this was going on, settled the vase with two fingers and glared at her sons. "You two turn back this instant or you're going back to your rooms until dinner."

David, claws turning to fingers, growled, "It's five-thirty anyways. We're bored."

"There are more productive ways to be bored. David, have you done your homework yet?"

"No," grumbled David.

"Timothy, did you clean your room like I asked you to?"

"I was cleaning it when David started chasing me."
"Now, why were you chasing him, David?"

"He called me a mangy mutt."

"He what-" Maria started.

Timothy cried over his mother, "He was stealing my toys again!"

David yelled, "Guys don't play with stuffed toys. Only girls and babies do."

"David, I told you to leave your brother alone. Now, Timothy, where did you hear that kind of language from?"

"They're not even bad words." Timothy said. "Someone called me that at school an' the teacher didn't even say anything."

"I'm going to need to speak with Ms. Jacobs-"

"Mom, we were just playing a game-" entreated Timothy.

Maria was just about to continue when there was a slight tap at the door. Maria's ears, superb even in their human shape, caught every bit of the echo as the familiar pattern sounded through the silent house. Tap-tap-tap-tap. Tap-tap. Tap-tap-tap.