Burnt Toast and Contracts

A few weeks had passed since I had come home. Dad was all over the place; he was working with Andrew's Construction, helping me with my studio, and dealing with Mom's constant worry that my incision was going to get infected.

 Dad was all over the place; he was working with Andrew's Construction, helping me with my studio, and dealing with Mom's constant worry that my incision was going to get infected

I walked downstairs and was hit by the scent of burnt toast.
"Archie, what are you doing?" I asked him as I waved smoke away from my face. "Do I need the fire extinguisher?"
"Mads?! What are you doing up? I was gonna make you breakfast!" He asked me and rushed over to me.
"I had to start moving around again sometime, Arch. I got a business to get back to." I smiled and ruffled his hair as his phone went off.
"And a man to visit in prison," Archie spoke quietly. He didn't know I heard that. His phone went off and he looked at me. "I gotta take this... I'm sorry. I'll see you later."
Archie rushed away up the stairs and my mind was all over the place. A man to visit in prison.
I can't pretend to think FP didn't know I was shot. I'm sure Jughead told him.
I poured a small cup of coffee with a shaky hand and sat on the porch as Archie started the trek to school. I had a lot to think about, I guess. I lit a cigarette and inhaled a deep breath of the comforting, deadly smoke. It was a habit I despised having, but it was so comforting to be able to feel the nicotine racing in my veins. I was in love with the minuscule high that came from such a small thing.
The nicotine, however, didn't help my messy mind. I was all over the place. I wanted to see FP, I knew we deserved that much. But I didn't know if he wanted to see me. I had to start being more considerate about other people. It was something that I regret not doing before. Almost dying... it changes everything. Your entire perspective changes on how you see the world.
I used to hate sushi, and dark chocolate. I was thinking about trying it recently. You only live once, even if you almost die somewhere in the mix.
My day was slow, and I barely made it to the shower. My incision was red, and inflamed from the activity of the day. I washed out my red hair and quickly changed into fresh clothes. I got a call from Sheriff Keller saying Archie was down there... again. He also told me that FP's lawyer would be there to give a deal if I wanted to be there. I asked if FP had anyone else, and he said Jughead would be there. I decided not to go. I didn't know what I would be walking into if I chose to go. Would FP have even wanted me there?
I had made spaghetti for dinner. Jughead hadn't been back yet, and I wanted to make the most of our shortening time until Jughead left, or until the adoption papers went through.
Yeah, the adoption papers.
I was flamed when the social services lady said I had to go through the legal process. I can understand that, but she wouldn't even take in our situation. We had a little more riding on our case than a stepmom adopting her husband's toddler. So, in the hospital, I sat and signed my name, and signed it again. Jughead Jones will rely on me. Not because he has to, because he wants to. Jughead wants me in his life. And I could never really say no to him anyways.
I walked downstairs after hearing a small crash to see Jughead and Archie huddled over the kitchen table. Neither of them said anything as they looked up, but Jughead had tears in his eyes.
The sentencing.
Fuck.
"Jughead..." I trailed and made my way over to the boy. "What happened, hon?"
I took Jughead into a hug. He didn't really say anything. He sorta just hung there. Jughead needed to be a kid again. He didn't need to worry about all this crap.
"Twenty years if he takes the deal... forty years if it goes to trial," Jughead spoke and I was speechless.
Anxiety and this horrible nausea rippled through me at the idea of FP Jones being gone for up to forty years. I wanted to vomit and scream and cry.
"He asked about you," Jughead said and I looked up at him through the blurred prickliness of my tear ridden eyes. "I told him you were alive and up again. He wants to see you,"
"I want to see him too, honey. We have a lot to discuss, your dad and I," I kissed Jughead's forehead.
"Are you ok, man?" Archie asked Jughead.
"I'm just really, really scared." Jughead's voice was shaky as he tried to keep his composure.
"Yeah, me too," Archie said and I set my hand on his while keeping one hand around Jughead.
"About what?" Jughead asked and Archie sighed, shaking his head.

*****

"What's up, Betty? How can I help with the next crazy scheme?" I asked the young, blonde girl as I slowly sat down in a chair at the high school. I was mostly healed, but still sore.
"I want to plan something to save Pop's. Like a throwback, to when it was opened."
My stomach dropped.
"Betty..." I trailed. "I love Pop's. I do. I'm not ready to go back yet..."
"I'm sorry," Betty said. "I just wanted you to know we're all trying. We know you support us and we could all use some Maddy-level support right now."
I gave the teenager a small smile and Veronica frowned.
"I get it too, B, but why this hill to die on?"
Betty sighed as she looked at the ground, a small nostalgic smile on her face. "Orange freezes with Mom and Polly after ballet... chicken noodle soup with my dad after ice skating. Grilled cheeses with Archie in the summer... it's where I met you, V, and Jughead... and Kevin," she added as the boy smiled at her.
"Veronica..." a voice called and I turned to see a man in a dark suit with flowers and a small bakery box. "May I speak with you?"
"Daddy?" She spoke, shocked.
"Daddy?" Kevin, Betty and I all said in shock.
Wow... we never thought this could happen.