CHAPTER FIFTEEN - A Tearful Farewell

Start from the beginning

"How?"

"Do you remember when Grace harvested your venom when you were still in high school? Before I bit you?"

"Yes, but how does that help?"

"Grace injected a small portion of your venom into Sebastian," said Henry. "He also has some of mine. The combination makes him immune to Dracula's power while he's locked up. The venom mixed with his DNA, effectively hiding him. He still had his telepathic ability, but Dracula won't be able to find him because he will appear to be a werewolf hybrid."

"Doesn't that put him in danger from the other vampires?" said Timber, suddenly alarmed.

"Unfortunately yes, but he said he's willing." Henry looked at his feet. "I never thought I would ever be able to forgive him for killing Victoria but after being presented with the facts and getting to know him over the last few months, I consider him a friend."

"I do too." Timber sighed. "Aunt Grace is going to be heartbroken."

"You didn't tell her Sebastian is coming with us?" Timber shook her head and Henry ran a hand through his hair. "She loves him. I can see it. What time is she going to be here?"

"Everyone should be here in thirty minutes," said Timber, looking at her watch. "I should order the pizza now and get Renegade's chicken ready before he wakes up. A week old and he's already starting eat pureed meat. He's growing too fast. Other moms get to nurse their babies for six months before introducing them to solids. He's still nursing but he's not supposed to eat anything else yet."

"How do you know he's ready for solids?" asked Henry.

Timber showed Henry a red mark on her finger.

"He bit me because I smelled like beef so I gave him a teaspoon of meat I had chewed up. He ate it and digested it without a problem. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do. There are no books to read on how to care for a half-human half-wolf infant. I'm just going on instinct and intuition. I've read a few baby books and I did a lot of reading about how wolf puppies develop. He seems to be physically developing like a wolf but mentally developing like a human child. I wish my mom were here. She'd know what to do."

"How's his fever?" asked Henry quickly.

"Going down," said Timber. "He should be fine for our journey tomorrow. I'm quite sure it's because he's going through a growth spurt. You have the hotel reservation for tomorrow night?"

"Yeah," said Henry. "Why are we driving again?"

"We can't fly because he would be locked in a hot crate. Besides, I want Renegade to smell the outside world before he's trapped behind Haven's gates."

"It's only for a few years until he can control his shifting like you did," said Henry. "Then we'll come back. I promise."

Timber kissed him and smiled. She got to her feet and grabbed her phone. Henry smiled as Timber ordered several large pizzas and then began lightly frying a small plain chicken to put in the blender for Renegade. The smell filled up the house and Henry watched his son tense up and then relax again.

"Timber? I think there's something going on with Renegade."

Timber spun around and looked at the small black wolf who had been playing with his white paw. She turned off the stovetop and got down on the floor. She looked at him carefully and understood what was happening immediately. He was tense and uncomfortable.

"Henry, bring a plate," said Timber.

Henry hurried over and gave Timber a thin stack of paper plates. Timber put it in front of Renegade just in time before he emptied the contents of his stomach all over it.