six

/ / sydney davis \\

i lay awake in bed and replay tonight's events in my mind. michael and i just talked about our lives and honestly, it was better than i could have ever imagined. he's so easy to talk to and it was like we had known each other for years. the only other person i have opened up to like that was my best friend kaitlyn, who i've known since i was three. but with michael, i could just be myself. it was just a completely different feeling and i think i like it.

+++

the next morning, i was woken up by my father moving around the room. since it was the day after taping, all of us had the day off. i planned to spend all of it in bed and catch up on my sleep, which was interrupted.

"i'm going down to the pool. come down whenever you want to," my dad explains before leaving the room.

nodding, i roll back over and try to continue my sleep. unfortunately, i was woken up yet again by the sound of my phone buzzing on my bedside table. groaning, i sit up and check the message. it was from my best friend kaitlyn, telling me to open my door. confused, i get up and i do what the text says to do. to my surprise, she was standing outside the door with a suitcase.

"surprise!" she exclaims, engulfing me in a big hug.

"how did you know which room i was in?" i ask.

"i passed your dad in the lobby and asked him," she explains.

"i'm so glad you're here," i tell her.

she plops down onto my bed and i do the same and face her.

"so, what's been going on?" she asks.

"um, nothing much. just going to rehearsals and we just taped the first episode yesterday so we have the day off today," i explain.

"that's fun. any hot guys?" she winks.

"a few," i laugh.

"really? you'll have to introduce me to them later," she says.

"well i think some of them are down by the pool, we can go if you want," i shrug.

"what are we waiting for, let's go!" she exclaims.

after we both change into our bathing suits, we head down to the pool. there are a few people at the pool, one of them being my father. kaitlyn and i take the open seats next to my dad and sit down. i look around at the scenery and the other people in the pool. i recognized some of them from rehearsals, but i still didn't know their names, which i felt bad about.

"hey syd!" i hear a voice call.

i turn and i see chance, walking over to me. he's holding a little girl's hand, maybe his sister.

"hey chance! who's this?" i ask, referring to the little girl.

"this is my daughter brooklyn," he smiles brightly.

"oh, really? she's adorable!" i say.

"thanks," he says.

"oh by the way, this is my friend kaitlyn. she's visiting me for a little bit," i remember.

"nice to meet you," he tells her.

"you too," she smiles.

with that, chance and brooklyn put their things down on an empty chair and then they get into the water. i watch as they swim around, and i can see that chance is an amazing father. i lean back in my chair and try to get comfortable again.

"it's so hot," kaitlyn complains.

"it's la, what do you expect?" i say.

"can we go in the water please?" she asks.

"fine," i tell her.

i take off the clothes i put on over my bathing suit and put my hair into a bun. i follow kaitlyn into the water and move my arms around a little bit.

"oh my god, is that sydney in the water?"

i turn around and i see miles, brady and michael all carrying towels and setting them down on chairs. immediately, they all jumped right into the water, where kaitlyn and i were.

"seriously?" i scream at them.

"oh c'mon! your hair was going to get wet anyways," miles shrugs.

"whatever. this is my friend kaitlyn. kaitlyn, this is miles, brady and michael," i introduce them.

"nice to meet you," they say.

michael smiles at me and i smile back, getting a warm feeling inside. for a moment, i forgot that there were other people around us. finally, i snap out of it and listen in one kaitlyn's conversation with miles.

"so how old are you?" he asks her.

"i'm 19," she answers.

"me too."

i see a tube nearby, so i swim to over to it. i get in it and try to paddle my way back to where i was before. michael notices that i was struggling and comes over to me.

"need some help?" he laughs.

"just a little," i smile.

he holds onto one of the handles and drags me behind him. he then let's go and rests his arms on the tube.

"so, how was your morning?" he asks.

"well, i was planning on sleeping all day, but then kaitlyn showed up, so here i am," i shrug.

"sounds like fun," he says.

"yeah, so how was your morning?" i ask.

"good," he answers.

"really? just good?"

"yeah, just good," he smiles.

god, i love his smile. i can't help but smile when he does. he doesn't do it very often, but when he does, his eyes light up and it makes my heart melt.

what am i even saying? i didn't feel this way yesterday, so what changed?

+++