five

/ / michael conor \\

"don't worry, it's only a movie," i tell her.

she nods while miles presses the play button. i can tell she'll be grabbing onto my hand multiple times throughout the movie, and i'm perfectly fine with that.

i keep my eyes focused on the screen and pay attention to the movie. i can feel sydney's eyes on me, but i don't turn to look at her. through the scariest parts of the movie, sydney didn't jump or grab onto my hand.

when the movie finally ends, i look to my left and see that sydney had fallen asleep during the movie. her head rests on her arm and she's curled into a ball. i know i've said it before, but she is still beautiful even when she sleeps. i decide against waking her up, instead i turn to face miles and brady.

"how'd you like the movie syd?" miles asks.

"she fell asleep," i answer.

"are you serious?" he says.

"yeah," i reply.

he shakes his head, while laughing a little bit.

"when did she fall asleep?" brady questions.

"i don't know."

"should we wake her up?" miles says.

"i don't think that's-," i start to say, but before i could finish, miles gets off the bed and walks over to sydney.

miles shakes sydney's shoulder repeatedly while telling her to wake up. when she finally opens her eyes, miles takes a step back.

"what the hell?" she says, rubbing her eyes.

"don't look at me! miles woke you up!" i tell her.

"you fell asleep during my favorite movie," miles pouts.

"oh, i'm sorry. i couldn't keep my eyes open," she shrugs.

"it's ok, i'll make you watch it another time,"  he states.

she sits up and checks her phone. miles walks back over to where he was before he got up.

"how long was i asleep for?" she asks.

"i don't know," i answer.

"oh, i think i'm going to go up to my room," she whispers.

"ok, i'll walk you out."

"goodnight guys, i'll see you tomorrow," she says, while getting off the bed and walking out the door.

"goodnight," miles and brady respond.

i follow her out and the guys don't question it. she waits for me outside the door and then we walk to the elevator.

"what did i miss while i was asleep?" she asks, walking inside the elevator.

"not much really," i shrug.

"sorry, i just couldn't keep my eyes open," she laughs.

"don't worry about it. i was about to fall asleep too," i lie to make her feel better.

"i find that hard to believe but ok," she says.

"why is it hard to believe?" i ask.

"i don't know, you seem like a person who could get two hours of sleep but still have energy," she explains.

"wow, i'm actually offended," i say sarcastically.

"what? why?" she questions, sounding concerned.

"because you don't know me at all, i'm the total opposite," i tell her.

"so then tell me about yourself."

"what do you want to know?" i ask.

"everything," she replies.

instead of pressing her floor number, she presses the lobby button.

"i thought you were going to your room?" i question.

"you're going to tell me about yourself, so i thought we could go sit by the pool," she says.

i nod, and follow her out of the elevator. she walks outside near the pool and sits on one of the lounge chairs. there was no one else down there except us. i sit across from her on another lounge chair and wait for her to say something.

"so, start from the beginning," she starts.

"um, ok my name isn't michael," i begin.

"you're kidding! what is it then?" she says.

"it's conor, but i like the name michael, which is my middle name, better so i changed it," i shrug.

"wow, i never would've guessed that michael wasn't your real name," she laughs.

"so what about you? is sydney your real name?" i pester her.

"sadly," she sighs.

"you don't like your name?" i ask.

"i like the name, but i just don't think i look like a sydney," she shrugs.

"well, i think you do."

"thanks," she smiles.

+++

hours pass, and sydney and i are still sitting by the pool. we had talked about everything from our families to our friends and everything in between. i've shared things with her i haven't even shared with any of the boys, who i've known longer.

"you're so easy to talk to," i tell her.

"so are you," she smiles.

"we should probably go upstairs," i say, noting that it was getting late.

"yeah," she agrees.

we both stand up and head back inside to the elevators. she presses her floor number and the elevator begins to move. when we get to her floor, i walk her out and to her room.

"i had fun tonight," she starts.

"me too," i nod.

"goodnight i'll see you tomorrow," she says.

"goodnight."

she starts to open her door, but, almost impulsively, i pull her into a hug. for a moment, she doesn't react, but then she wraps her arms around my neck and hugs me back. when we pull away, she looks me in the eyes and smiles. i smile back, and then watch her walk into the room and close the door. as i walk back to the elevator, my heart races and i am finally able to admit to myself that i am starting to fall for sydney.

+++