Dan stood there for a minute, staring at the dark wood in front of him, before sighing and pushing the doors open. He glanced back at PJ as he walked in, who gave him a reassuring smile, before the door slammed between them. As always, it was completely dark inside except for the few candles spread out, and it took a moment for Dan's eyes to adjust to the dim lighting. The Highers were, of course, standing along the opposite wall, their faces still hidden by their dark robes. There was something about the way they just stood there, silent, that gave Dan a weird feeling in his stomach, like he just knew something bad was going to happen. Of course, that was most likely the case.

  "Daniel." One of them said, and it made Dan shiver, because the tone was cold, but still loud as it boomed all around the room. "I assume you know why you're here?"

  Why the hell did they always 'assume' that he knew why he was there?

Yeah, this time he did know the reason, but they couldn't expect it all the time.

  "Um, yes I do." he replied awkwardly, clearing his throat. He had no idea what they were going to say, but he knew that it couldn't be anything good. It never was.

  "I thought that we warned you about this, Daniel." said one of the Highers to the right. "Any emotional connection with your subject can-"

  "-be highly consequential, I know." Dan interrupted. It was showing disrespect to the Highers, and it was just plain rude, but he was pissed off at them, and their bullshit rules. He knew the problems of falling in love with Phil, and he'd still decided to go after him. So what? Did all that mean nothing to these insufferable, narrow minded idiots? He was just now realizing this, but...... he would rather die than lose Phil. Because he was the only one that made him really, truly, good. Physically and mentally....

  "And yet you still decide to disobey our orders? And our culture?" The middle one said again.

  "That's kinda why I'm here, isn't it? Or did I 'assume' wrong?" he replied, and he knew that being a sarcastic ass wasn't helping the situation, but he didn't care cause goddammit, they were trying to take Phil from him. And damned if he let that happen.

  Dan was getting angry, and he was sort of surprised, because he hadn't been very mad the last two days, and it was kind of foreign to him. But regardless, right now, he kinda wanted to punch something, preferably one of these Highers stupid faces. If they even had faces.

  "Control yourself." the Higher said, his voice cold and threatening, and usually that would snap Dan out of his rage fueled emotions, but it just pissed him off more.

  "Why?! So you can try and convert me into your perfect little lap dog, who does everything he's told? I don't think so, I'd much rather stay this way. Just because you're too stupid to-"

  "Dan!" One of them shouted, and Dan immediately shut up. Not because they'd yelled at him, they always did that, but because they'd called him Dan, not the usual Daniel. They'd never called him by his nickname, not since he'd joined them.

  "We understand how mad you are-"

  "Do you really?"

  "Yes. But you obviously knew what was going to happen if you did this, and we found out. You can't be mad at us because of how we react."

  There was a silence the seemed extremely loud, as it covered the giant room. Dan's ears were ringing, and it was then that he realized that he hadn't lowered his head, not since he'd walked in, but the Highers didn't take too much notice of that.