Chapter one: In Which The Pen First Hits The Paper

My dearest, Dan

I hope this letter finds you in good health.

Hey Dan. It's me, Phil. Yeah, I know. I'm a dork for doing this, but it seemed like a great idea in my mind. So anyway. Let's do this.

I remember the day I met you vividly. I'd be lying if I said it was the best day of my life, but meeting you made it not so horrible.

Now, you may be wondering what this is.

Hopefully, it'll be the longest letter to ever be written.

I highly doubt that you've forgotten, you never forget anything. But just in case, allow me to take you back.

It was September thirtieth, a Wednesday, and my first day at your boarding school.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Good morning class, please welcome our new student, Phillip Lester." Mr. Davis motioned towards me and I step forward before waving awkwardly. "Phillip, have you gotten moved into your dorm yet?"

"No, sir. They said to do that after my first lesson. My stuff is behind the front desk." 

Mr. Davis nodded. "Alright, your schedule and room assignment?"

"Yes, sir." I fiddle through my bag before pulling out my notebook. 

He looked it over before handing it back to me. "Alrighty. Now, Phillip, is there anything you'd like the class to know about you?"

I look to all the bored looking students and clear my throat, "Please don't call me Phillip."

He offered a well-calculated smile, "Right then. Go have a seat with mister Howell there in the back."

"Yes, sir." I go to the back of the room and take the only empty seat next to a brown haired boy. "Hey. I'm Phil."

He smiled awkwardly before speaking. "I'm Dan. Dan Howell."

The name sounds familiar, throughout the rest of the lesson the only thing my mind would think is that name. Dan Howell. Where have I heard it before?

It finally came to me when I took another glance at my notebook. Daniel Howell. Room 32, Dormitory B. He's my roommate.

I turn to him and smile. "It seems that you're my roommate."

He smiled weakly. "Really? Okay. I'll show you to our room after this lesson, I'm sure they won't mind."

I nod my head. "Great. Thanks, I appreciate it."

"No problem."

The rest of the lesson went on without interruption. Afterwards he and I gathered our bags and headed to the front desk to retrieve my stuff. He helped by carrying the duffle bag for me as we walked to our dormitory.

He walked up to the door, unlocked it, and let it swing open. "Here we are. Home sweet home."

"Thanks, Dan."

He awkwardly rocked back and forth and looked at his feet, "You're welcome. I could show you around after you get settled in if you'd like."

I smile as I put one of my books on my desk, "I'd love that."

He nodded in response and crossed over to his computer, "Cool. I'll shoot our teachers and headmaster an email. After I show you around we'll go to the dining hall."

"Sounds great."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you recall what happened next. We ended up going to a lake that you knew about and staying there, skipping stones until lunch. You got the pepperoni pizza and I got chili. You got chocolate milk, and I got apple juice. We sat at an empty table near the back of the cafeteria.  We walked to all of our classes together, went to dinner where we both got hamburgers and chips, and then retired to our room where we watched Netflix together on your computer as if we'd been friends since elementary. It was a fairly ok first day, all in all. 

Little did I know, there were many memories to be made later on.

So settle in, Danny boy. It's going to be a long ride.

(Letter continued on next sheet of paper in bag)