At fifteen he acted as id he were two.

"Yes. I'm all right. I suppose. But I'm glad you're here. We'll both be okay."

"I biggg!"

Kasha laughed and wiped away her tears. "Yes, Perry, you are big. We both are. That's why we mustn't cry."

"I vreeery biggg. I issh ffaarteeen. I don't cry."

"Yes, Perry." And Kasha smiled. She leaned her head against her younger brother. They'd be okay. Both of them. She closed her eyes, keeping the rest of her tears shut in.

Patrick thrived on the sea. He ran around the deck, his red head in all sorts of mischievousness. He followed the men around irritating them beyond endurance.

And Kasha could do nothing. Except vomit that is.

She was sure that the last two weeks of sea sickness were worse than anyone ever had. Especially with her fear of the ocean added up on it.

Or maybe she had just got Patrick's share.

Despite being, she kept her eyes on the boy. He needed constant watching and supervising, sick or not.

They were traveling on a merchant ship. There were no other people aboard the ship beside the crew. For Kasha this was both good and bad. Good that she was at peace from judging eyes. But she didn't quite feel comfortable being the only girl aboard.

The Captain had been very good to take them on. Kasha suspected he'd done it out of guilt. He'd done nothing to help her father.

Until now-after he was dead. She tried t not hold this against him. Tried very hard.

Patrick came running over to where Kasha sat on the deck. "Loooksh Kaaashu! I have uh coin! I biggg." He puffed out his chest and held his hand out for her to see.

"My, yes, you are big." Kasha grinned. But her grin turned into a small, polite smile as she saw a sailor approach.

The man had been staring at Kasha too much lately. She didn't really like that – or him.

"See?" Patrick asked, drool oozing from his lips. "Him. He nice."

The sailor grinned. "I'm glad you like it. I'm Tom by the way." He directed this last statement towards Kasha.

"Kasha." She held out her hand for politeness. But instead of shaking it, the man kissed it.

Kasha pulled her hand back quickly, a blush breaking strongly over her face and neck. But the sailor seemed not to notice.

He plopped himself down between the girl and brother.

"So, where be ye goin'" Kasha caught herself liking his speech. It was exotic....no, dirty, lazy and uneducated. She did not like it. She wished the captain would come and take this man away. Tom should know better than to make conversation with people of her class.

"The Americas."

"Is that so? Whet providence, and whet fer?"

Why was this any of his business? But still she answered. "Virginia. I am going to live with relatives. Our mother will come once she takes care of some important business." Like being able to leave Scotland. But that was definitely none of his business.

And Kasha could tell he did not care anyways, for with his next words he began to tell her about himself, mostly bragging about all he had seen and done in a probably very exaggerated way.

"Perry, don't look over the edge." Kasha pulled the boy back on his feet. "What were you thinking?" Her heart thumped wildly. She needed to watch closer. Kasha glanced into the waves. How had she just allowed him to get so close to drowning?