Chapter 17

Aspen's POV:

Well, it was nice being at the palace for a while. Tonight, Lucy and I are leaving, to start our new lives together, without anything coming in between. It feels weird thinking just a while ago, I loved America. Don't get me wrong, I still love her —just not like that.
Lucy walks in with her two suitcases. Tonight, we are also going to get permission from the king and queen. "You ready?"
"As ready as I'll ever be. Oh, I almost forgot, we also have to ask for my father as well. I can't just leave him here."
"I understand."
She leaves her stuff on my bed and we make our way to the king. Once there, we're both hesitant to knock. Finally, I knock once, and he yells for us to come.
"Not who I was expecting, but make it quick, I have a meeting. You, maid, go get me coffee please."
"Your Majesty, Lucy and I, have some matters we need to discuss with you."
"Yes, make it quick, and tomorrow morning you will be leaving."
"I understand, uh, Lucy and I were wondering if we could leave the palace together along with her father tonight."
"Ahh, the maid wants to leave."
"Her name is Lu-"
"I don't care. Like I was saying, you are my property, or did you forget? You're mine until I decide to let you go, which is, right now. You are granted my permission for your father and yourself to leave tonight along with Sir Aspen."
I stare at the king with shock. I was not expecting him to act the way he did. I wonder if he is bipolar? His emotions kept switching this entire time. I look at Lucy and she's crying, not knowing what to do, I thank the king and steer Lucy out of the office.
"Did you hear that? You're free. We can leave. With your father even. What's wrong? Aren't you happy."
"I'm beyond happy. I ju- I just never thought I would ever be able to leave the palace and be free ever again."
"Well, you better start thinking because we are leaving tonight. Come on, let's go find your father."

Maxon's POV:

As I round the corner to Aspen's room, my thoughts keep circling back to her. I look down at my fingers to occupy myself when I hit something. The door. Ow. Great, now I'm going to have a headache. I knock on the door a few times, not getting a response before I turn around disappointed and walk away. On my way back from his room, I see Lucy, America's old maid and Aspen walking hand in hand. He moves on quickly.
     "Hey, uh, Aspen. I know we've had our differences in the past, but I was hoping that you would have a few moments of your time to talk to me?"
     "Lucy, go find your father, get him cleaned up, and meet me in my room, I'm going to talk to the prince for a moment." Lucy curtsies and walk away. "What is it you wanted to talk about?"
   "You already know, huh?"
   "America, right?"
   "Yes."
   "Why do you want to talk about her?"
   "I just need someone to vent to. I mean, you lost her before so you must know how to deal with it."
   "Maxon, your highness, you must move on from her. I know you'll probably never forget her, hell, in my new life with Lucy, I know I'll still think of Mer, you just got to try and move on."
"Thanks for the advice, although, it won't be helpful."
"Anytime your highness." He says uneasy.

Erik's POV:

As America and I make our way to the grand dining room, I can't help but smile. Just a few months ago, when I came to the palace, I was just a homeless boy looking for his family. Now, I have the most amazing girl on my arm, and a king and queen for parents, life couldn't get any better other than America and I marry, well it could get worse. Maxon hates me, I'm sure father's feelings are mutual, and I'm sure the whole monarchy is upset.
     We're greeted by two butlers at the door. I check the clock on the right wall and see that we are late, but before I could say something, America pulls me through the door.
    "What's the rush?" I whisper.
    "I just want to get this over with so we could prepare to leave." She whispers back.
   "Ah, good thinking."
   "What took you guys so long." Maxon said not making eye contact.
   "Maxon! Be nice." Mother snapped at him. Maxon shrugged his shoulders and went back to eating.
    America and I sat down and immediately food was brought to us. Dinner was lovely although no one talked, but to soon America asked to be dismissed from dinner.
    "Uh, Yeah, May I be excused as well?"  
    "Sure dear." My mother says.
    As we get up to leave, no one around the table acknowledges us, even as the chair scraped the marble tile. America and I walk out of the room hand in hand, me smiling slightly.
     I try to think happy thoughts on our way up to our rooms, but it's hard not to think what if your only sibling hates you for the rest of your life.
     I open my door to be greeted by a unsuspected guest.
    "Hi Erik."

America's POV:

I couldn't stand being in the same room as him when my feelings were basically out in the open. I need to stop thinking about him, but I can't. He looked so heart broken and sad at dinner tonight. How I wish I could've changed that.
    I open my door to grab my 3 suitcases. Before I leave, I want to say my goodbyes to my former maids and everyone else, even him. Maybe I should just avoid saying goodbye to him, because I'm sure if I see him tonight, I wouldn't want to leave him. Why did I chose Erik? Why couldn't I just go with my heart and not my head and choose Maxon? Ugh, why do I have to be so stupid?
     I start to cry thinking of all my adventures at the palace. All the fun times with Marlee, the sneaking around the palace with Aspen, and the romantic, fun, amazing moments with Maxon.
    "Are you alright miss?" Mary and Anne say in unison.
   "Yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking. Where's Lucy?"
    "Oh she and Sir Aspen are preparing to leave tonight." Mary says.
    "I had no idea they were together."
    "They wanted to keep it a secret." Anne says.
    "Could you guys do me a favor, one last favor?"
    "Anything miss." They say in unison.
    "Could you finish getting my stuff together? I have something I need to do." I say quickly.
    "Sure." Mary says slightly smiling.
    "No problem." Anne says with the same face.
    "What's wrong." I say quietly.
    "We're going to miss you, a lot." Mary cries.
    "I'll miss you both, and Lucy so much. Thank you for all you have done for me."
   "I just can't believe we're saying our goodbyes. I've always thought you'd end up with Prince Maxon, but it feels like it's still the Selection and you're just getting eliminated." Anne lightly laughs to herself,  it at the same time, tears fall from her eyes.  
     "Hey, it's okay, I'll visit, I promise."
    "Okay Miss, um, you can go do what you have to do, and we'll get your stuff ready."
    "Oh yes, thank you, I almost forgot. I'm just going to leave these heels here, and I'll be back."
    I take off my heels and leave out the door. As soon as the door shuts, I sprint to the well-known place that I love. Our bench.
    Once out the grand doors, I walk slowly to catch my breath to the bench. When I look up, I see Maxon sitting with his head in his lap.
   "Hey."
   "Oh, hi."
   "How's your day."
   "It could be better, if the only girl I truly loved weren't leaving me."
    "Sorry, again. Look, I didn't come here to be sad, I knew that you would be here, and I had to see you one last time."
    "America I-" Before he could answer me, I pull him in for a long, sweet, pleasure filled kiss.

Hey👋🏽
How's your day🤔
Nice move America😋
Sorry for not updating Thursday😭
I don't know if I should continue writing😥
Not a lot of people are commenting, voting, or even reading my fanfic 😬
Don't forget to comment and vote😘