Prologue

Luna hated it when all the little fillies ran away from her. What had she ever done to them? She only wanted to play. If it had been Celestia none of them wold have run away. TIA! Luna had forgotten. She had to raise the moon.

“Luna!” Celestia called. Luna hated raising the moon. All the ponies played in the sun and slept in the night. As she was walking away, she noticed a little brown horn of a unicorn peeking out from the bushes.

This could be her chance to make a new friend. The unicorn hadn’t run away yet, so that was a good sign. Luna looked at the soft, lush, green grass so that it wouldn’t run away. She noticed a perfect red apple at the edge of the bush where the unicorn was. It was a good apple that would have made any pony envious. Luna thought the unicorn might have dropped the apple and was looking for it, so she waited for the unicorn to take it, then see her and run away from Luna.

 To her surprise, the unicorn tried to use it’s magic to push the apple closer to Luna. Though it didn’t work, Luna thought it was a sweet gesture. The unicorn then just pushed the apple toward her with its horn. Luna got a glimpse of its mane. It looked as if a baby dragon shot it with fire on accident.

“Thank you,” Luna said to the kind unicorn through the bushes as she took the apple and ate it. “You don’t have to be afraid of me. I don’t bite.”

“I know. I’m just worried that Princess Celestia will see me,” the unicorn said (Luna then guessed by the deepness of its voice, that it was a colt).

“Why would you be worried about Celestia?” Luna asked. She did not know why anyone who would have a problem with Celestia.

“She and her sister removed my father, Discord, from the Equestrian Throne. If she sees me, Discords Heir, the she will banish me, like my sister. Or even worse, turn me into stone and put me in the Royal Garden right next to my father as a garden ornament to be forever laughed upon, I didn’t even do anything,” he said. He poked his head out of the bushes to talk clearer to her. He still didn’t come all the way out, but Luna could tell by his bony chest and baggy eyes that he both didn’t have a home, and he hasn’t been eating much. This apple may have been his biggest meal in weeks.

“I’m so, so sorry about that. But if you didn’t do anything, then why would she do that to you?” Luna asked.

“She just would. Plus, I’m guilty of being a thief, that apple you’re eating, I didn’t pay for it,” The Unicorn said.

“Tell you what, I’ll come back tonight, and bring back some food, and you can tell me your name, and then we’ll talk about getting you a place to live. Meet me here at 1:00 tonight. Oh, and you can keep the apple,” Luna said as she tossed the apple to him.

“Ok,” he said shyly.

Hours later, after she raised the moon, Luna was preparing to leave, she had packed food, and couldn’t wait to hear the mysterious colt’s name. “Ok, I’m here. You can come out now,” Luna whispered. She then laid out the food she had brought

“Alright, I’m coming out of my bush. Is all that food for me?” the colt said while coming out of the bushes. Luna noticed something sticking on him, but she couldn’t identify it.

“I’ve filled my side of the arrangement, now will you tell me your name?” Luna asked quietly.

“Sure I will. Just wait a second. What did you mean by ‘and then we’ll talk about getting you a place to live?’ I mean, it’s not like a little filly like you can just conjure up a home, can you?” The colt said.

“I’ll tell you what I meant if you tell me what your name is,” Luna said cleverly.

“Fine. The name that Discord gave me was Blitz, but I don’t like that because well, my father gave it to me. That is, however, the only name I have. You may call me anything you like,” Blitz said after a short silence.

“Wait, why don’t you just call him your father Blitz?” Luna asked curiously. She didn’t know why anyone would call her dad anything but that.

“I hate him. He hated me. The only value I was to him was that I was his heir. He didn’t even want me to be the heir. He’d rather my sister Screwball to carry on his reign of disarray. I only became the heir because of luck. The Royal Family turned him to stone, and banished my crazy sister to the northern reaches. I ran away from the palace and I’ve been on my own ever since,” Blitz yelled at Luna.

Luna began to cry, because what might have been her only friend had started to yell at her. “I’m s-sorry. I d-d-didn’t mean to p-pry into your p-personal life B-Blitz,” Luna managed to get through he sobs.

Far away, Celestia woke with a start. She could feel that Luna was weeping, and now Celestia was on her way.

“No, it was my fault. I shouldn’t have yelled. What was that you said about a home for me?” Blitz mentioned, trying to change the subject.

Luna pushed back her tears, “Yeah, but first I need to tell you who I am. Please don’t get mad at me. My name-

Blitz interrupted, “Why would I get mad at you?”

“Because my name is Luna. Princess of Equestria, and I’m also Celestia’s sister. The one who helped turn your father into stone.” Luna waited for Blitz to say something, but he didn’t. He just stood there, wide-eyed and surprised. “So my plan for finding you a home was that I could try to keep you in the palace until we find you a real home that you could stay in and maintain yourself. I could visit you- AH!!” Luna never got to finish that sentence.

There was a flash of light and Luna realized in this second what the stumps on Blitz’s side were. They were wings! Blitz was an Alicorn! But she had no time to rejoice, for the light dimmed a bit and Luna saw who was causing it.

“Blitz, RUN!” Luna shouted. Blitz tried to run but found it impossible to do so. It was as if someone had cast a spell on him.

“Oh thank heavens I found you Luna!” Celestia exclaimed. She had been looking all over Canterlot for her. “Now, how did this little colt get you here after you raised the moon?” Celestia questioned.

“Tia, he’s my friend. I met him here earlier this day because he gave me an apple. He’s homeless, so I thought I could provide him and his family with a home. He’s really gone through some hard times, so please let him go.” Luna said to her big sister.

“I will let him speak, but if he runs, he will just as easily be put into an orphanage with all the other foals whose families can’t provide for him.” Celestia responded. She released Blitz from his magical bonds and took a sigh of relief.

Blitz began to speak in a panicked voice, “Princess, she is lying to you. My family isn’t around anymore. My father was Discord, and my sister was Screwball. I swear that I didn’t do anything bad to any of the ponies. As soon as I would have gotten to the throne, I would have set every-”

“Do not worry Blitz. You are forgiven for your father’s crimes. Because you have been kind to my sister, and you didn’t try to lie to save yourself, I will give you your own room at the palace. You will be treated like a Prince would be treated. From this point on, you are an honorary member of the royal family,” Celestia said. Blitz was speechless. He had known the royal family to be cruel to thieves like him. Even before he was on his own, he hadn’t been shown kindness like this.

Celestia noticed the look of astonishment on Blitz’s face and said, “You didn’t think that I would leave a homeless colt, no family, no friends, and not even a cutie mark, on the streets or even punish him, did you?”

And so Blitz, Luna, and Celestia walked back to the castle discussing preparations for Blitz’s room and things such as that.