Chapter 6- Prison Break

~Selena~

 I was lying on the couch in the living pretending to be asleep, when it happened.

I say pretending in the literal sense, because I was physically incapable of sleeping. However, Stanton was guarding me diligently from the love seat across the room, and if closing my eyes and ignoring him for an hour meant that I didn't have to hear him lecture me, then so be it.

Then, just when I was about to either give up and flee or die of boredom, his phone rang.

"Hello?" Stanton answered his phone, but I could still feel his eyes on me. "Sam?" He sounded confused.

I heard him stand up and walk into the kitchen, and I let out a silent breath of relief when I could finally open my eyes, if only to look at something other than the back of my eye lids.

"You sound weird. Where are you?" Stanton went on. "Are you drunk?" 

While Stanton was silently listening to his twin, I could hear him sigh, and I couldn't only imagine what kind of trouble Sam had gotten himself in to.

"Woah, just slow down Sam!" Stanton demanded. "Now, just tell me what happened."

There was a moment of silence, before my brother freaked out and I knew that Sam had really done it this time. 

"You did what and now you're where with who?!" Stanton yelled, and I scoffed. So much for keeping it down and letting his little sister sleep. "I'm coming to get you, just wait there."

Stanton hung up and he was rushing past me to get his things from upstairs.

Even now, I'm not quite sure what compelled me to sneak along. Maybe is was curiosity, or even just me being bored, but nonetheless I soon found myself squeezed into the back seat of Stanton's jeep.

I hopped over the seats and settled in the roomy trunk area, which was luckily spacious enough that I could lay down comfortably.

Whatever Sam had done must have been really bad news, because Stanton didn't even notice that I was no longer 'sleeping' on the sofa. Instead, he hopped into the front seat, turned on the car and sped out of the driveway.

I couldn't see much from where I was laying, but the car ride took about ten minutes. When the car finally stopped and Stanton hopped out, I finally sat up and realized that we were at the police station.

I rolled my eyes. It was so like Sam to get drunk and arrested on a school night.

I climbed over the back seats and slid out of the car, keeping my head down as I made my way inside.

A nearby cop spotted me and frowned, but when he opened his mouth to say something he must have recognized me, because he ended up just gaping at me as I walked by.

The station was relatively quiet, as it should be at the hour. I instinctively made my way down to the holding cells, where I knew my brother would be held.

And that's when I saw them. Sam, alongside Jerry and Conner.

I hid in the doorway and peered in, and just looking at them, it was painfully obvious that they were drunk out of their minds.

Sam and Jerry had their arms slung around each other for support, and they looked so unsteady that I couldn't even tell who was supporting who. Jerry had a black eye, and Sam's shirt was torn and he had a bloodied lip. I glanced down at their ands, and sure enough all three of the boys' knuckles were bruised, confirming my suspicion that they had been in some sort of fight.