The Unity

Chapter Eleven: The Unity

Last Chapter:
All four founders looked at each other, unbelievingly. They were finally together at Hogwarts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The four stared at each other. The last time they had been together at Hogwarts, it had ended in disaster. Salazar had been banished from the castle, never to enter the grounds of Hogwarts again.

Until now.

Salazar sighed. "You lot always were the dramatic types. Whatever you wish to say, speak now or forever hold your piece."

Helga smiled softly, looking around at the others. "I'm glad we're all here together, but how did this happen? Why are we here? Not that I'm not glad to see you all." She added.

Rowena's mouth curled. "It seems that we have been reawakened by Hogwarts itself." At the others' confused looks, she elaborated.

"When we built Hogwarts, we infused it with our four magics combined. Every single brick of this school has traces of our magic in it. Everywhere we go, we leave auras of a sort behind. Like leaving a fingerprint on the wall. Hogwarts' magic seems to have been diluted so much, it doesn't recognize them, causing our past conscious thoughts to become active. More or less, we are became the Founders because we were them." She took a deep breath.

Salazar looked stunned. "Diluted? How could the magic have become diluted? For that to have occurred, only long exposure to various dark magic could have caused this. The Headmaster would have noticed by now if that were the case."

Godric sighed. "It seems the Headmaster is turning out the be the real suspicious character. Why have the wards become so weak and brittle? A muggle could now walk in and no one would notice."

The other three founders stared at him. "What? Don't you feel it?" He asked defensively.

"That's what the strange feeling was. Isn't the Headmaster supposed to rejuvenate the wards every few years, if not decade or so? The wards feel as if they haven't been strengthened in a century!" Rowena burst out.

Helga tentatively placed a hand on the other girl's shoulder. "I think we should all relax and try to figure out what we're going to do now."

"Am I supposed to play the part of the Whiny Slytherin? I don't think I'll be able to keep the up for long." Godric complained.

Salazar shot him a look. "Whiny Slytherin? Are you trying to insinuate something, you hot-headed Gryffie?"

Rowena cut across them before they could continue. "We don't have time for this. Work now, bicker later." She motioned to Helga to continue speaking. Unnoticed, Salazar looked away from her after a brief second.

"Thanks Row. I think we should all just act like we became friends over the summer, which is technically true, and try to not raise suspicion regarding our past selves. Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter becoming friends is far less damaging than us being leaked as being the original Founders of Hogwarts. I'd imagine that would cause quite a ruckus." Helga grinned.

"Besides, it'll be so much fun to mess with everyone's heads, don't you think?"

Salazar shook his head with a smile. "Helga, are you sure that you're not secretly a Slytherin?"

At her offended look, Godric, Rowena, and Salazar laughed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day that they competitors for the Tri-Wizard Tournament were to arrive, Hogwarts became a flurry of panicked teachers and chattering students. Classes were not in session and teachers were going around straightening postures and cleaning the castle to present a good image to the other schools. The Founders on the other hand had varying reactions. Rowena shot a few cleaning spells around, Helga trailing behind her pointing out spots they missed. Salazar managed to do an entire floor on his own before he was dragged away by Godric. Salazar wrenched his arm out of the blonde's grasp as they neared the Great Hall.

"What is it? I was busy cleaning. I was almost finished with the second floor." The Slytherin Founder huffed.

Godric looked over at him. "We need to start with the whole 'Suddenly Friends' thing before the competitors arrive. Besides, it's lunch time and I'm starving." He concluded with a grin.

As they stepped into the Great Hall, some of the students sitting at the Gryffindor table looked up and then did a double take. Both Founders looked from table to table, trying to figure out where to sit. Finally, they both stepped towards the Gryffindor where Draco was shot dirty looks by almost everyone. As they both took a seat at the far end of the table, many Gryffindor scooted away. One Fifth year opened his mouth to say something when Hermione and Ginny appeared and sat across from them.

"I'm famished. Cleaning an old castle is more work than it should be." Ginny said as she piled some potatoes on her plate. Rowena handed her a tissue as she spilt some down her shirt. As Ginny cleaned her front, Ron walked over from the other side of the table.

"Harry mate, why are you, Hermione, and Ginny sitting with Malfoy?" He spat his last name with as much venom as he could.

Harry shrugged. "We thought we'd eat here for a change."

Ron looked confused. "Since when are you friends with this git?"

Draco opened his mouth to reply but Hermione beat him to it. "Since now. Now if you'll let us eat in peace..." She trailed off. Ron frowned and walked back to his seat.

Ginny sighed. "Thank goodness. Maybe we could eat without interruptions today-"

"Mr. Malfoy?" Professor Dumbledore was somehow in front of them looking at the four eating calmly.

Ginny cursed silently.

"Yes Headmaster?" Draco replied. He hadn't thought that he'd actually show up and create a spectacle like this. The point was to be subtle. Subtle.

By this point, both Professor McGonagall and Professor Snape had made their way to the Gryffindor table.

"What's wrong? What woe has befallen Potter now?" Snape sneered. Harry looked up in exasperation.

"We're trying to eat." Honestly, why was this such a difficult concept for them to grasp. "Just because we're a Gryffindor and Slytherin,"

'Just not in that order.' He added in his head.

"Doesn't mean that we can't eat together. Besides, there's no rule preventing us from sitting here."

Professor Dumbledore frowned, but walked back to the Head Table with both Heads of Houses following him.

Finally left alone, the past Founders ate together for the first time in forever, surrounded by whispers and glares from both the Gryffindors and Slytherins.

AN: Here's the next chapter. I must say, the wonderful comments really do help get these chapters out faster *wink wink nudge nudge*.

Also, I'm a shameless self promoter so check out my other Harry Potter book that's a crossover. See you guys after Halloween!

-Madsinator