Chapter 3 - Torture

The gleaming dagger twirled between his fingers, the point briefly catching his eye before he was spinning the weapon again.

"When the hunters become the prey,
and when the gods hold no sway.
Where monsters roam and Ancient Heroes subside,
the entrance to Hades the Doors abide.
But the Angel shall lead the way,
To the sea's castaway.
And when the fatal war renews,
Time, the Storm shall heal or lose."

How interesting.

But the Angel shall lead the way. Kronos' eyes narrowed. Oh, he knew what that prophecy was referring to.

His eyes flickered to the screen of mist, shot through with colour as it showed him the meeting of the cabin counsellors through the eyes of a spy of his. Kronos smiled to himself. Really, why the gods even thought they could match him in war baffled him.

Kronos had more experience than them – both in strategy and in simple combat. He was already planning out the last stages of a war they'd only just started.

"What do you think?" He asked, still twirling the dagger around carelessly. There were small cuts over his knuckles, but he ignored them in favour of staring down the son of Hades. "An interesting prophecy, is it not?"

Nico bit his lip, looking surprised to be spoken to. But he nodded. "Very interesting," he said flatly.

Kronos grinned. "Yes, I thought so too." He paused slightly. "Particularly the fifth line: But the Angel shall lead the way." His smile becomes deceptively pleasant. "Because both of us know that you've been referred to as the Angel before." The Lord's smile grew. "When you were trapped in that jar, I believe – during the Giant War? You do remember?"

Nico warily nodded. "Yes, I remember."

"Good." Kronos smiled. "But there must be something else you remember?"

Nico ground his teeth together. "No," he said lowly. "No, I don't know."

"You're lying to me," Kronos accused. "I don't like liars, demigod." Nico chooses to remain silent, glaring at Kronos, but saying nothing. The Titan rolled his eyes. "Let's not forget whom Olympus thinks is dead," he chided. Nico flinched. "Exactly."

Nico swallowed, his hands fisting at his side. "I don't know," Nico repeated. His expression tightened, his jaw locking. "I swear; I don't know," he said.

Kronos sighed. "Liar. What did I say?" Annoyance flashed across his face, greatly resembling a storm cloud.

"Look," Nico growled out, the shadows writhing in the corners and at the base of Kronos' throne, "I don't know! That answer's not going to change! I'm not just being stubborn or whatever – I don't know where the Doors are!"

Kronos rolled his head to the side, eyes narrowing down at him. He looked like a dopey dog – Nico wanted to carve the smile off the Titan's face. Kronos' smile widened, apparently sensing the line Nico's thoughts had taken. "Promise?" The Titan questioned. "Because if I thought you'd be that fun – I'd let you stand. You must understand, of course," Kronos continued carelessly, "I rarely get a challenge anymore."

"Erebus gave you a challenge."

Kronos' eyes narrowed sharply at the demigod, and Nico felt a sudden warmth against the back of his neck, a wisp of divine energy that crackled against his skin. Nico stilled, knowing from the other Titans what could happen if he moved. Kronos smiled. "He did," he agreed, the presence disappearing, "and next time we meet – I'll tear his throat open."

Something that felt horrifyingly alike to a hammer collided with Nico's chest, a ball of Titanic energy. Nico cried out, feeling a rib snap as he was thrown backwards. More importantly, his barely healed injury from before reopened, spilling warm blood over the floor. Nico gasped, groaning as he felt the blood trickle down his side, pooling on the ground beneath him.